daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:50 AM   #6721
urbanlover
Living for the city
 
urbanlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Detroit
Posts: 340
Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
I disagree... it may vary somewhat state by state, but my gut tells me at least 50 + 1 (which is a majority) of American drivers don't know about the keep right except to pass concept.
We know about it, we just don't care. A lot of drivers here have the attitude that if I'm doing the speed limit I can be in any damn lane I want and if you don't like it **** you go around me. I only wish we had more cops like in that vid.


In other news Kansas is upping it's speed limit to 75

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/20...-increase.html

Last edited by urbanlover; April 21st, 2011 at 01:05 AM.
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:55 AM   #6722
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 951
Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
We know about it, we just don't care. A lot of drivers here have the attitude that if I'm doing the speed limit I can be in any damn lane I want and if you don't like it **** you go around me.
Yup, that about sums it up. If I'm gonna turn left I'm gonna get in that lane, even if the turn is twenty miles away.
__________________
A government's primary duty is to protect and advance the three most fundamental human rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These rights imply the additional right to prudently guarded stupidity.

Socialism never took root in America because the poor there saw themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. -John Steinbeck
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:57 AM   #6723
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
We know about it, we just don't care. A lot of drivers here have the attitude that if I'm doing the speed limit I can be in any damn lane I want and if you don't like it **** you go around me.


In other news Kansas is upping it's speed limit to 75

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/20...-increase.html
No , you stay out of the left lane , you people who go slow in the left should have points added to your licenses....
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 01:09 AM   #6724
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

+ 1

I'm with Nexis on this one. Mostly. Actually, on freeways/expressways where there are more than two lanes, I'll use one of the middle ones unless I feel like going fast, to avoid conflicts with traffic entering at interchanges. (If there are only two lanes, and the road's fairly busy, I'll use the one appropriate for my speed; if there are two lanes on an empty road, I'll keep right.) But I don't like passing on the right and will only do it if you force me to by driving slowly in the left lane and being unresponsive to a couple of flashes. (Although I'd be stunned to be ticketed for passing on the right, just as I'd be stunned to see someone ticketed for being in the left lane when they shouldn't.)

Nerdly Dood, I hate headlights in my rearview mirror too, and if someone's actually shining them in my mirror - either because they're idiotically driving with their high beams on or they're in a hulking big vehicle so their low beams are right in my mirror, I'll turn my blinkers on to get them to back off. It usually works.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 01:12 AM   #6725
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 951
Likes (Received): 42

If cops give tickets for driving too slowly in the left lane, they'd effectively be requiring that you drive above the speed limit. The speed limit is supposed to be the maximum speed allowed, so ticketing people who drive under the speed limit would be dumb.
__________________
A government's primary duty is to protect and advance the three most fundamental human rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These rights imply the additional right to prudently guarded stupidity.

Socialism never took root in America because the poor there saw themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. -John Steinbeck
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 01:15 AM   #6726
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly_dood View Post
If cops give tickets for driving too slowly in the left lane, they'd effectively be requiring that you drive above the speed limit. The speed limit is supposed to be the maximum speed allowed, so ticketing people who drive under the speed limit would be dumb.
Except in states where you're supposed (by law) to keep right except to pass.... If you're driving down the left lane of an empty road, you're ticketable as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: It's like Washington-area Metro escalators, actually. Only tourists stand on the left.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 01:20 AM   #6727
Botev1912
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 988
Likes (Received): 575

In Europe or at least in Bulgaria there is a minimum speed 50 km/h (30 mph) on highways unless there is traffic of course. If you drive below this, you are illegal and shouldn't be on that highway
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 08:43 AM   #6728
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American
 
mgk920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Appleton, WI USA
Posts: 2,583
Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly_dood View Post
If cops give tickets for driving too slowly in the left lane, they'd effectively be requiring that you drive above the speed limit. The speed limit is supposed to be the maximum speed allowed, so ticketing people who drive under the speed limit would be dumb.
From what I am aware of, the 'slower traffic keep right' law supersedes the speed limit in many states. IMHO, it is a highway safety rule that works (just ask the Germans!).

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 10:46 AM   #6729
tall_dreams
My Way The Highway
 
tall_dreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 790
Likes (Received): 24

please post pics, pics in this subforum are a rarity. I would like to see interstates outside city limits.
tall_dreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 11:03 AM   #6730
brewerfan386
Registered User
 
brewerfan386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cheeseland
Posts: 712
Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall_dreams View Post
please post pics, pics in this subforum (outside of the coastal states) are a rarity.
fixed it
Quote:
I would like to see interstates outside city limits.
Agreed 100%

__________________
[intentionally left blank]
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:54 PM   #6731
I-275westcoastfl
Registered User
 
I-275westcoastfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 6,146
Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
From what I am aware of, the 'slower traffic keep right' law supersedes the speed limit in many states. IMHO, it is a highway safety rule that works (just ask the Germans!).

Mike
Exactly, the idiots who stay in the left lane impede the flow of traffic which lead to aggressive driving from people trying to get around them. People who stay in the left lane are pompous *******s who are the same people who don't use their signals because they feel they are too good(lazy) for that. I remember driving through Indiana so many people including truckers were staying in the left lane going at or below the speed limit. I had been driving for many hours and needless to say I pissed off a lot of drivers in that state because you bet I squeezed, cut off, and pushed my way through those idiots. Not saying my reaction was right but that is what it leads to. Majority of Americans don't know how to drive well, of course it varies by state but you will find the same stupid driving habits everywhere here. Then again it might be because in American you can get a drivers license without ever having to leave a parking lot.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:11 PM   #6732
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店
 
siamu maharaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,187
Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Exactly, the idiots who stay in the left lane impede the flow of traffic which lead to aggressive driving from people trying to get around them. People who stay in the left lane are pompous *******s who are the same people who don't use their signals because they feel they are too good(lazy) for that. I remember driving through Indiana so many people including truckers were staying in the left lane going at or below the speed limit. I had been driving for many hours and needless to say I pissed off a lot of drivers in that state because you bet I squeezed, cut off, and pushed my way through those idiots. Not saying my reaction was right but that is what it leads to. Majority of Americans don't know how to drive well, of course it varies by state but you will find the same stupid driving habits everywhere here. Then again it might be because in American you can get a drivers license without ever having to leave a parking lot.
I'll be driving thru Indiana tomorrow. Wish me luck! But my ordeal will be followed by driving in Chicago, which I absolutely love.
__________________
ho ho to pa ki ho
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM   #6733
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,572
Likes (Received): 19366

Kansas will increase rural 4-lane speed limits from 70 to 75 mph.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/20...eed-limit.html
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:32 PM   #6734
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,491
Likes (Received): 19130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Kansas will increase rural 4-lane speed limits from 70 to 75 mph.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/20...eed-limit.html
When? I'm going there in a little over two weeks. I suspect it will take them a while to actually change signs.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:52 PM   #6735
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
I'll be driving thru Indiana tomorrow. Wish me luck! But my ordeal will be followed by driving in Chicago, which I absolutely love.
I won't be in Indiana (or Chicago) tomorrow, so I won't have to worry about being tailgated two inches behind. :-P
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:55 PM   #6736
I-275westcoastfl
Registered User
 
I-275westcoastfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 6,146
Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
I'll be driving thru Indiana tomorrow. Wish me luck! But my ordeal will be followed by driving in Chicago, which I absolutely love.
Yeah Chicago is one of the worst cities as far as drivers go but at least they are all trying to get to their destinations quickly(aggressive driving).
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:01 AM   #6737
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,684
Likes (Received): 17033

I don't understand why were raising speed limits when Gas prices are going up? It seems idiotic to me....
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:26 AM   #6738
urbanlover
Living for the city
 
urbanlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Detroit
Posts: 340
Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Exactly, the idiots who stay in the left lane impede the flow of traffic which lead to aggressive driving from people trying to get around them. People who stay in the left lane are pompous *******s who are the same people who don't use their signals because they feel they are too good(lazy) for that. I remember driving through Indiana so many people including truckers were staying in the left lane going at or below the speed limit. I had been driving for many hours and needless to say I pissed off a lot of drivers in that state because you bet I squeezed, cut off, and pushed my way through those idiots. Not saying my reaction was right but that is what it leads to. Majority of Americans don't know how to drive well, of course it varies by state but you will find the same stupid driving habits everywhere here. Then again it might be because in American you can get a drivers license without ever having to leave a parking lot.
This. I didn't know until a few years ago that many states don't even require a real road test, the drivers training reqiurements in many places are a joke.
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:27 AM   #6739
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 951
Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I don't understand why were raising speed limits when Gas prices are going up? It seems idiotic to me....
Driving faster is safer simply because 55 mph is boring on a road designed for traffic at 70-75mph. Boring, on a straight road with long sight lines... at night, had a long day... people will tend to fall asleep, shortly before eating their windshield.

It's common knowledge that it's unhealthy to eat windshields, even more so than McDonald's.

Plus cars are more fuel efficient.
__________________
A government's primary duty is to protect and advance the three most fundamental human rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These rights imply the additional right to prudently guarded stupidity.

Socialism never took root in America because the poor there saw themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. -John Steinbeck
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:35 AM   #6740
I-275westcoastfl
Registered User
 
I-275westcoastfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 6,146
Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I don't understand why were raising speed limits when Gas prices are going up? It seems idiotic to me....
I seem to remember up there in NY and Jersey that 55mph=80mph for most people, it makes sense because even when 55mph were set in the 70's many people didn't follow them. Setting reasonable speed limits is sound logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
This. I didn't know until a few years ago that many states don't even require a real road test, the drivers training reqiurements in many places are a joke.
Yeah I mean at least make it mandatory to go out on the road and a highway to learn proper driving.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; April 23rd, 2011 at 12:40 AM.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium