daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:13 AM   #6741
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I don't understand why were raising speed limits when Gas prices are going up? It seems idiotic to me....
Lowering speed limits will offset the cost of consuming more fuel by speeding tickets. Lowering speed limits always seems to be more expensive. I say give people more freedom and raise those damn speed limits on freeways, they were designed for high speed.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:17 AM   #6742
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Which states don't require road tests?

Alabama, though it's a farce of a test, requires one.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:47 AM   #6743
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
I don't understand why were raising speed limits when Gas prices are going up? It seems idiotic to me....
everyone has a brain. If you think you don't wanna pay more for gas, you drive slower in the right lane. If you don't care, you drive faster. I hate it when the government tells me how to drive my car on a road that is designed for higher speed

Last edited by Botev1912; April 23rd, 2011 at 02:00 AM.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:51 AM   #6744
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
everyone has a brain. If you think you don't wanna pay more for gas, you drive slower on the right lane. If you don't care you drive faster. I hate it when the government tells me how to drive my car
The government is better at driving cars than we are.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 02:54 AM   #6745
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Which states don't require road tests?

Alabama, though it's a farce of a test, requires one.
The Southern / Rural states have laxed tests , while the Dense / Northern states have stricter tests...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:02 AM   #6746
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
(Psst. That's the sort of thing it's best not to say around here. Don't tell anyone I said so.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:11 AM   #6747
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
The government is better at driving cars than we are.
Well, unfortunately, we have not yet found a source of energy for our cars that (1) is not going to run out within our lifetimes; (2) is not (apparently) fouling up our atmosphere to the point where the planet may become unrecognizable at a date a bit beyond our lifetimes and (3) does not keep us involved in some pretty nasty parts of the world....

I'm not advocating returning to 55 - that was absurd, and it wasn't enforced anyway. But the sort of people who say "I should be able to do 150 at night" are just ignoring all that to a degree I think is irresponsible. And probably have unrealistic ideas about how they'd survive an accident at that speed.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:37 AM   #6748
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
(Psst. That's the sort of thing it's best not to say around here. Don't tell anyone I said so.)
I can take the heat , i'm a New Yorker / New Jerseyite were the strongest in the country.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 04:11 AM   #6749
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Could you guys post up some more of your favorite youtube highway tour videos? Who are your favorite youtube users to subscribe to? I cant enough of them!! USA highways only, please
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:33 AM   #6750
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

FreewayJim is awesome. He mixes his videos with good music, too.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:53 AM   #6751
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1543

Pennsylvania licence tests are a total farce. I live in rural PA (well not that rural, but not in the city) and in my school district NOBODY learnt to drive. They were all "taught" by their parents (who half of them can't drive either). The test? Parking lot, 5 minute drive on the road and you're done. Pff.
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:00 AM   #6752
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Yeah Chicago is one of the worst cities as far as drivers go but at least they are all trying to get to their destinations quickly(aggressive driving).
True That!
They aren't called F.I.B's for nothing! j/k... sort of
Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:29 AM   #6753
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

To get a license in the state of Maryland:
1.Be 16 years and 6 months old minimum
2.Complete 30 hours of driver's ed, including 6 hours of driving time with teacher
3.Complete 60 hours of supervised driving(usually a parent who has to fill up a log)
4.Complete a test, which involves driving in the parking lot
5.Hold learner's permit for 9 months
6.No moving violations
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:44 AM   #6754
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Those driving tests are a joke. No wonder U.S. traffic fatalities are much higher than Europe.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:16 PM   #6755
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

yeah, I got my license in Bulgaria in 2003. First a lot of reading. There were 60 questions, and I had to answer 55 to pass (92%). There was a lot of driving with an instructor in the heaviest traffic and on the highway too. Then the driving test was really hard. You have to drive in the center of the city during rush hour when the traffic is terrible. It's hard to get a driver license in Europe.
Then in 2006 I came to the US. The computer test was not hard even though I didn't speak much English. I had to answer 20 out of 25. The driving test was super easy. French Parking, 10 minutes of driving on side roads of a suburb where I was the only car on the road. It cost me 200-250 euros to get a BG driver license (it's much more now) and only 40-45 dollars to get a WA license.

Last edited by Botev1912; April 23rd, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:35 PM   #6756
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Those driving tests are a joke. No wonder U.S. traffic fatalities are much higher than Europe.
Well whenever we try to do something in this country on a federal level the southern states moan and groan and block everything. Hench why were behind you guys on almost everything.....except donating aid...
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:26 PM   #6757
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

Quote:
Yeah, but getting a license in my state was much easier in the past. They changed the rules 8 or so years ago. Also I found out a year ago that MD did not had a law requiring drivers to use their turn signals until recently.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM   #6758
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Do you guys think it's better to regulate some aspects of highway usage and driving requirements at a federal level?

For instance, to harmonize driving lessons requirements and traffic rules?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:25 PM   #6759
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19156

Quote:
Do you guys think it's better to regulate some aspects of highway usage and driving requirements at a federal level?

I think it might be easier to introduce stricter driving tests at the state levels rather than wait for some federal regulation.
States will be reluctant to cede powers in that field to the federal government.

I think most of the driving rules are already quite similar in all the states. They differ only in details.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:33 PM   #6760
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:

It's a good idea, but you might get into a constitutional argument. The Federal government has the right to legislate in specific areas; everything else falls to the states. Now, the courts have interpreted some of the federal powers very broadly*, and I personally think traffic laws could come under interstate commerce, but you'd still have the argument. (Federally legislating licensing requirements might not be as easy.)

*Have I ever mentioned how we got a national drinking age (21)? It wasn't legislated strictly as such; instead, Congress threatened to withhold highway funding from any state that had a drinking age lower than 21. That was found by the Supreme Court to be a legitimate exercise by Congress of its right to determine how federal money is spent.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban