daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #6781
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Isn't adding tolls to a currently-free Interstate (I'm referring to your mention of I-90 farther up the thread) built with federal funds illegal? The Rendell administration tried at least twice to get permission from the feds (no idea what agency) to add tolls to Pennsylvania's stretch of I-80, and was shot down.
do you mean that all interstates are FREE?
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #6782
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
do you mean that all interstates are FREE?
Those that weren't built as toll roads (most if not all of them before getting the Interstate designation) are.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #6783
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

There is no such things as free roads unless your government levies no taxes whatsoever.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #6784
Botev1912

that's true, but you don't have to pay every time you get on them
Old May 6th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #6785
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There is no such things as free roads unless your government levies no taxes whatsoever.
[sigh]
You know perfectly well what Botev meant.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 6th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #6786
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That happens to be the platform of the Republican Party.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 04:48 AM   #6787
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
That happens to be the platform of the Republican Party.
No taxes? Sounds more like a Libertarian thing.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when thereīs snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of itīs best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #6788
Botev1912

if there were no taxes, who would fund the roads?
Old May 6th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #6789
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Quote:
if there were no taxes, who would fund the roads?
They won't be funded and fall into Disrepair....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #6790
nils16

Likes (Received): 164

VIDEOS

From Oceanside to San Diego / 04.2011/ 1080p HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbKcu3DUu2Y

Inbound Los Angeles from South to Hollywood blvd /05.2011/ 720p HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ous84OTN0fk

Driving from San Diego up North/ 04.2011/ 1080p HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa2p_eNMQCU

Please rate the videos.
And comments are welcome
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #6791
Botev1912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
They won't be funded and fall into Disrepair....
so the newest 3rd world country. No thanks. I prefer to pay and drive on nice roads
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #6792
bmanx06

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
That section recently underwent concrete rehabilitation. WSDOT installed dowel bars between concrete panels, replaced the most heavily cracked panels, and then diamond-ground off the top 1/4 inch of the entire stretch of roadway to improve the road surface. It feels nice driving on it, but it's far from pleasing to the eye.

But of course, that's just a temporary fix. Actual reconstruction of the highway won't happen until 2017.
Do you know if the 2017 reconstruction will also affect the corridor from southern King County through Olympia? I noticed an asphalt stretch in Pierce County (Fife/Milton) was recently repaved (funded with stimulus dollars). The rest of the concrete is also over 50 years old and is dire condition as well.
bmanx06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #6793
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
so the newest 3rd world country. No thanks. I prefer to pay and drive on nice roads
Hear, hear! I generally try to avoid politics here and am glad others generally do likewise - there are plenty of other places on the Internet for that - but our national allergy to taxes and government spending (within reason, of course) does not serve us well.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #6794
bmanx06

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Will they ever repave the worst sections of I-5 between downtown Seattle and the border with Snohomish County (Shoreline exit 177)? That section is so bad. The concrete is probably 50 years old and not smooth at all. Also the markings (the dots on the road) on Hwy 99 in Snohomish County between 188 St SW and 244 St SW are almost non-existant. That has been like that for more than 2 years. I can't understand why they regularly repaint and repave small streets and they don't even touch the main roads/highways?
Well, the state is $5bn short in cash, all because voters repealed the "candy" tax and rejected increased taxes on the richest 1%. Millions of dollars by DC corporate lobbyists were spent to convince residents that paying 2 cents extra on a bottle of Coke was preposterous.

The roads and streets are so terrible in areas that they pose a safety hazard. Many are blowing out the shocks and struts on cars.
bmanx06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #6795
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Not surprising really. Americans are cheap IMO.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #6796
Botev1912

Does anyone know what happened to the pavement on I-5 southbound between exit 182 and 181 in Lynnwood. The pavement was perfect until they started the new tunnel project which has nothing to do with the pavement because it is outside of the freeway. So they removed the top layer of asphalt and now the road looks really bad and there is a sign Grooved pavement and believe me it's really dangerous especially if you drive a smaller car. It's been like that for more than 8 months. Does anyone know why they did that and will they fix it? They are only building a tunnel (braided ramp)

Last edited by Botev1912; May 6th, 2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #6797
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Not surprising really. Americans are cheap IMO.
No just ignorant and stupid, we have the money to fix our roads however the funds are being used elsewhere. It's the same bullshit that social security is broke, the program has a surplus but they borrowed money from it for other things. America is the country where the rich lie and take your money and then the lower class fight for lower taxes for the rich but yeah a lot of politics. Point is we should have the right amount of money diverted to infrastructure.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #6798
Botev1912

I have driven on a lot of interstates, smaller highways and streets in USA and the roads are in good condition (not perfect like Spain for example). There are roads in perfect condition, there are roads in bad condition (like everywhere), but most of the US roads are fine

Last edited by Botev1912; May 6th, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #6799
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
I have driven on a lot of interstates, smaller highways and streets in USA and the roads are in good condition (not perfect like Spain for example). There are roads in perfect condition, there are roads in bad condition (like everywhere), but most of the US roads are fine
Depends on where in the US you are but yeah some places you would never think the roads are bad.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #6800
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanx06 View Post
Do you know if the 2017 reconstruction will also affect the corridor from southern King County through Olympia? I noticed an asphalt stretch in Pierce County (Fife/Milton) was recently repaved (funded with stimulus dollars). The rest of the concrete is also over 50 years old and is dire condition as well.
I think it's just the section between Tukwila and Northgate. Reconstructing that section alone would be a massive financial burden if you think about how many thousands of concrete panels they will have to replace.

Quote:
Does anyone know what happened to the pavement on I-5 southbound between exit 182 and 181 in Lynnwood. The pavement was perfect until they started the new tunnel project which has nothing to do with the pavement because it is outside of the freeway. So they removed the top layer of asphalt and now the road looks really bad and there is a sign Grooved pavement and believe me it's really dangerous especially if you drive a smaller car. It's been like that for more than 8 months. Does anyone know why they did that and will they fix it? They are only building a tunnel (braided ramp)
Hmm, I'm not sure about that one. They're also doing drainage work and shifting lanes around, but I don't get why that would require removing the top layer. I'll go check it out sometime.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban