daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #6821
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Looks like WSDOT visited the Netherlands.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #6822
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Looks like WSDOT visited the Netherlands.
Yes they did. They visited six European countries in 2006, including the Netherlands, Germany and the UK. They were impressed by the Dutch system for speed harmonization.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #6823
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Some pictures I took today. I used a smartphone, so the quality is not great

I-5 South in Shoreline, WA with 50-year old concrete pavement

I-5 South in Seattle before Northgate with the same 50 year-old concrete pavement

I-5 South in Seattle with rehabilitated concrete pavement. It looks bad but it's actually pretty smooth

I-5 North in Shoreline, WA

I-5 North in Mountlake Terrace, WA with good asphalt pavement

I-5 North in Lynnwood, WA with brand new (2-year old) asphalt pavement

I-405 South in Lynnwood, WA with perfectly smooth asphalt pavement

I-405 South in Bothell, WA with very smooth asphalt pavement

I-405 North in Bothell, WA with very smooth asphalt pavement

I-405 North in Lynnwood, WA

I-5 North again in Lynnwood, WA

I-5 South in Lynnwood, WA with perfect asphalt pavement

This is the grooved pavement I mentioned on a previous page. Before starting the tunnel project the pavement was exactly the same as the picture above. I don't know why they removed the top layer of asphalt and put signs Grooved pavement and Motorcycles use extreme caution.

This is a view of I-5 North from Alderwood Mall Parkway in Lynnwood, WA

I-5 South

They are building a tunnel (braided ramp)

I-5 South

I-5 North

Highway signs

Last edited by Botev1912; May 11th, 2011 at 04:04 AM.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #6824
HAWC1506

Beware Seattle drivers!

Troopers pull over 223 passing lane 'campers' in King County

SEATTLE – Washington state troopers in King County pulled over 223 drivers last month who camped out in the freeway passing lane, breaking a law that not many drivers know about. Of those, 199 were let off with warnings.

The Washington State Patrol is putting higher emphasis on keeping slower traffic in the right lane and out of the left general purpose lane, which is the designated passing lane.

Many of those who were pulled over didn't know it was against the law, the state patrol said. Troopers told them to stay out of the left lane if traveling below freeway speeds and not to travel continuously in the left lane for no reason. Violators could be fined $124.

One of the concerns for enforcing the law is aggressive drivers who get frustrated at the slower traffic in front of them and, as a result, dart from lane to lane to get by other cars.

The HOV lane does not count as the so-called "fast lane." However, that is not the case on those freeways that have HOV lanes that are not enforced 24 hours a day, such as Interstate 405, Interstate 90 east of I-405 and State Route 167. Those HOV lanes are only enforced 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. At all other times, the HOV lane then becomes the designated passing lane.

"When HOV lanes are open to all traffic, they should be treated like a regular left-side freeway lane. Left-side freeway lanes are normally reserved for passing, so are only to be used to pass," WSP spokesman Dan Coon told KING 5 last month.

It seems to me that only the left lane is the legal passing lane, and the middle lane isn't...Still a disappointment, but nonetheless an improvement.
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #6825
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Nice pics above, and they are very good for a smartphone taken in moving traffic.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #6826
Botev1912

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
It seems to me that only the left lane is the legal passing lane, and the middle lane isn't...Still a disappointment, but nonetheless an improvement.
The middle can't be with so much traffic. Just wondering during rush hours when all lanes are congested, would they still pull you over for barely moving in the left lane
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #6827
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
The middle can't be with so much traffic. Just wondering during rush hours when all lanes are congested, would they still pull you over for barely moving in the left lane
I highly doubt it. Obviously keep right except to pass wouldn't work when traffic isn't free flow. But that still doesn't mean that people should cruise in the middle lane when the right lane is wide open. Not to mention, keeping right except to pass can probably alleviate some congestion since it improves traffic flow.

Actually I did a little project where I counted the cars per lane on a segment of I-90. The right lane had the least traffic over the course of an hour.

Last edited by HAWC1506; May 11th, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old May 11th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #6828
Botev1912

When I was in Europe last summer, I drove in Bulgaria and Spain and I rode a bus in Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia and Italy. Drivers there know that when you pass a car, you have to go back in the right lane. Traffic flow is so much faster when everyone does it. You almost never slow down except when there is traffic (one of the highways in Italy was completely congested during rush hour). So they have to start giving tickets or at least warnings in the US and drivers will learn that they can't drive in the left lane
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #6829
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
When I was in Europe last summer, I drove in Bulgaria and Spain and I rode a bus in Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia and Italy. Drivers there know that when you pass a car, you have to go back in the right lane.
In Italy, until a number of years ago (can't remember exactly how many) right lane was called "slow moving vehicle lane", so you were actually allowed to ride in the middle lane unless you were driving "slow" (don't know how much, either). Now the highway code has changed and you always have to drive in the "righmost possible lane". Central and external lane(s) are ONLY for passing.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #6830
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
I highly doubt it. Obviously keep right except to pass wouldn't work when traffic isn't free flow. But that still doesn't mean that people should cruise in the middle lane when the right lane is wide open. Not to mention, keeping right except to pass can probably alleviate some congestion since it improves traffic flow.

Actually I did a little project where I counted the cars per lane on a segment of I-90. The right lane had the least traffic over the course of an hour.

Actually, I tend to favor the middle lane; less opportunity for conflict with entering and exiting traffic. Sorry....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #6831
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Beware Seattle drivers!

SEATTLE – Washington state troopers in King County pulled over 223 drivers last month who camped out in the freeway passing lane, breaking a law that not many drivers know about. Of those, 199 were let off with warnings.

The Washington State Patrol is putting higher emphasis on keeping slower traffic in the right lane and out of the left general purpose lane, which is the designated passing lane.

Many of those who were pulled over didn't know it was against the law, the state patrol said. Troopers told them to stay out of the left lane if traveling below freeway speeds and not to travel continuously in the left lane for no reason. Violators could be fined $124.

One of the concerns for enforcing the law is aggressive drivers who get frustrated at the slower traffic in front of them and, as a result, dart from lane to lane to get by other cars.

The HOV lane does not count as the so-called "fast lane." However, that is not the case on those freeways that have HOV lanes that are not enforced 24 hours a day, such as Interstate 405, Interstate 90 east of I-405 and State Route 167. Those HOV lanes are only enforced 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. At all other times, the HOV lane then becomes the designated passing lane.

"When HOV lanes are open to all traffic, they should be treated like a regular left-side freeway lane. Left-side freeway lanes are normally reserved for passing, so are only to be used to pass," WSP spokesman Dan Coon told KING 5 last month.

In Florida they'd probably pull over 22,223, people here are clueless to the passing lane and it is a law!! When driving on the interstates when there are breaks in traffic you will hit clusters of cars which I call the "cluster of idiots" where nobody can get around them. So I and other drivers resort to aggressive driving like cutting off and squeezing in tight spaces to get through the "cluster of idiots". It is ridiculous since I always try to get out of the passing lane ASAP, maybe because I'm European.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #6832
State of the Union

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Beware Seattle drivers!

Atleast it's something. Us Americans really need to figure out how to drive properly on freeways, making passing lane 'campers' illegal is step in the right direction.
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #6833
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912
I have noticed that they don't repave the bridge decks on the freeways. Even if they repave the freeway with brand new asphalt, they leave the old concrete on the bridge decks? Why don't they change it too?
I have no idea, I've been wondering that myself. I think it has to do with the difficulty of dealing with expansion joints, approach slabs, and the effort required to make the pavement on the bridge deck completely level with its surroundings. I'll ask around and try to get an answer though.
The obvious answer is dead load. A new layer of paving is really heavy, and if the bridge wasn't designed for the extra weight, it shouldn't be installed.

If the bridge deck is in really bad shape, reconstruction is the only option, and it's expensive and disruptive.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #6834
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Asphalt is also heavier than concrete if I'm correct.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #6835
Botev1912

How do they do it in Europe? I didn't see any concrete bridge decks. And they also repave the asphalt every time if I am not wrong
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #6836
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

In Germany, AFAIK, they rebuild bridges.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #6837
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
How do they do it in Europe? I didn't see any concrete bridge decks. And they also repave the asphalt every time if I am not wrong
Some bridges are designed to have an asphalt wearing course. When it gets raggedy, it's milled away and replaced.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #6838
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Beware Seattle drivers!

I wish they would have sent them to Guantanamo Bay.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #6839
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Don't mention Guantanamo on international forums: it makes non-Americans ornery. And some Americans understand why.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #6840
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Don't mention Guantanamo on international forums: it makes non-Americans ornery. And some Americans understand why.

I'm a "non-american" and I can understand a joke
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban