daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #6941
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
if by our neighbors you mean Canada, I don't think their roads are better

Montreal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-coDrnB6SYc
Quebec has crappy roads but highways in Ontario are top-notch (at least in the Toronto area except the Gardiner). They do good maintainability and their highways don't look aged like they do across the border even though the weather is arguably worse. This is off-topic though...

The crappiest highways in the US that I've experienced has either to be in Pennsylvania, the NYC area, and NY Route 17 (which is being updated to be future I-86).
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #6942
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
With countries such as the US and Canada that have huge land areas and large highway networks compared with their populations, just maintaining the existing highways is a challenge.
But highway maintenance is on the state level, not federal. I think out west, this is a valid excuse but around here, states are pretty small.

Since most European countries have more centralized highway systems and funding, perhaps the opposite is true. They have more to worry about.

Even with our gas tax (one of the highest in the nation), CT's highways are not that great. There's been good updates here and there, but it's obvious that there isn't enough money around for overall maintenance or future expansions so the state has no choice but to go back to tolls eventually in the future.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #6943
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Quebec has crappy roads but highways in Ontario are top-notch (at least in the Toronto area except the Gardiner). They do good maintainability and their highways don't look aged like they do across the border even though the weather is arguably worse. This is off-topic though...

The crappiest highways in the US that I've experienced has either to be in Pennsylvania, the NYC area, and NY Route 17 (which is being updated to be future I-86).
Ontario is the only place in Canada with highways that are on par with USA highways. Its not even a question of funding either. Its all about location. The fact that Southern Ontario is so close to so many major US metro areas forced Southern Ontario to copy the US form of highway building, lest they look like a 3rd world country when Americans come and visit. Other areas of the country though, like Vancouver, don't have any nearby US metros to look to for guidance on highway building. Or they simply choose to purposely build inferior highways out here. Its like discovering a long lost civilization that hasn't had any contact with the outside world. Seeing what they have created while left to their own devices is sometimes disturbing and primitive. Comparing highways in WA state to BC is like night and day.

Last edited by VoltAmps; June 6th, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #6944
Trae

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
You have to remember our gas taxes are low but a lot of tax money is spent in subsidizing the oil industry to keep the prices low, that is why the prices are lower in the US.
Subsidizing the oil industry doesn't keep our prices low. We need to stop giving them tax cuts. I highly doubt Exxon-Mobil, Conoco, Shell US, Chevron, etc., will raise gas prices if they don't get their tax cuts. With all the record profits they have been having, I SERIOUSLY doubt that.
Trae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #6945
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
Ontario is the only place in Canada with highways that are on par with USA highways. Its not even a question of funding either. Its all about location. The fact that Southern Ontario is so close to so many major US metro areas forced Southern Ontario to copy the US form of highway building, lest they look like a 3rd world country when Americans come and visit. Other areas of the country though, like Vancouver, don't have any nearby US metros to look to for guidance on highway building. Or they simply choose to purposely build inferior highways out here. Its like discovering a long lost civilization that hasn't had any contact with the outside world. Seeing what they have created while left to their own devices is sometimes disturbing and primitive. Comparing highways in WA state to BC is like night and day.
Did you write this post while under influence???
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #6946
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Subsidizing the oil industry doesn't keep our prices low. We need to stop giving them tax cuts. I highly doubt Exxon-Mobil, Conoco, Shell US, Chevron, etc., will raise gas prices if they don't get their tax cuts. With all the record profits they have been having, I SERIOUSLY doubt that.
We need to stop subsidizing the Oil companies , the Airlines and then we need to get rid of some Rail regulations and watch the Private Passenger business boom again. Its not fair when the Govt subsidizes the Oil , and Air Industry's and then doesn't do the same for Rail or Sea. Its hurting our economy and prices don't seem to be any lower.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #6947
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

I-25/C 470 interchange Denver

image hosted on flickr

Interstate 25 and C 470 Interchange, Denver by SkylineScenes, on Flickr
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #6948
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-80 in Sacramento during the housing boom years.
image hosted on flickr

Interstate 80 in Sacramento by brentj650, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Interstate 80 in Citrus Heights by brentj650, on Flickr

I-5
image hosted on flickr

Interstate 5 in Downtown Sacramento. by brentj650, on Flickr

CA-99
image hosted on flickr

CA 99 in South Sacramento by brentj650, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

CA 99 in South Sacramento by brentj650, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #6949
bogdymol
bogdymod

In April 2009 I was in the US. Now I searched my archive for some road pictures. Enjoy!

Maybe the best motorway pic I've ever caught. I-95 near Fort Lauderdale airport:

Florida's Turnpike seen from I-595:

I-95:

American dream. It's all about this. Cruising on I-95 in Florida:

I-95 near Kennedy Space Center exit:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #6950
bogdymol
bogdymod

Now some pictures of Interstates in Illinois, around Chicago:

O'Hare airport:

I-90:

One of the coolest interchanges. I-90 / I-94 / I-290 seen from the 99th floor of Sears Tower:

I-90 and I-94:

I-294 and I-190:

Nice sign!

Old June 10th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #6951
SkyView

Likes (Received): 13

Wow that sign that says "Hit worker 14 years jail" !!!
Makes you think while speeding, I guess...
SkyView no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #6952
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyView View Post
Wow that sign that says "Hit worker 14 years jail" !!!
Makes you think while speeding, I guess...
There were a lot of signs like this in the Chicago area. I remember that there were some roadworks and every mile I could see this sign...
Old June 10th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #6953
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I am in New England for a few days at the moment; on Wednesday I drove from home (Philadelphia) to Attleboro, Massachusetts. So I was in six states (mostly small ones) in the space of six hours, and I can't remember which one it was, but somewhere I saw a "have two accidents in work zones - lose your license" sign, or words to that effect. "Fines doubled in work zones" are fairly standard; you'll probably see them in most states.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #6954
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I am in New England for a few days at the moment; on Wednesday I drove from home (Philadelphia) to Attleboro, Massachusetts. So I was in six states (mostly small ones) in the space of six hours, and I can't remember which one it was, but somewhere I saw a "have two accidents in work zones - lose your license" sign, or words to that effect. "Fines doubled in work zones" are fairly standard; you'll probably see them in most states.
I've seen this type of signs in Illinois.
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #6955
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I've seen this type of signs in Illinois.
Same in Colorado. They were posted all the way on I-25 widening works.
Old June 10th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #6956
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

I always like seeing images of USA roads and other things taken by average people from overseas.

Quote:
I-95 near Kennedy Space Center exit:

Am I not the only one who notices the strange, perhaps unsettling (to the employees, especially) wording on this sign....

Also, I believe that most, if not all, USA states now charge double fines for traffic violations in construction zones and many spare no expenses in posting that fact.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #6957
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Am I not the only one who notices the strange, perhaps unsettling (to the employees, especially) wording on this sign....
What's wrong with it?
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #6958
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

After taking this exit, you won't return to earth
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #6959
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
After taking this exit, you won't return to earth
It seems that I've managed to return, although I was only about 1-2 miles away from the space shuttle launching facility and I've seen space shuttle Atlantis preparing for STS-125 mission.
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #6960
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
It seems that I've managed to return, although I was only about 1-2 miles away from the space shuttle launching facility and I've seen space shuttle Atlantis preparing for STS-125 mission.
You returned, not the crew of the Columbia in 2003.
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban