daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #6961
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Let's have a discussion/debate:

Which do you prefer and why: Ramps with parallel acceleration/deceleration lanes, or tapered ramps?

I posted the same question on the German Autobahn thread and I would like to compare the discussion. Feel free to post in both threads.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #6962
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I am in New England for a few days at the moment; on Wednesday I drove from home (Philadelphia) to Attleboro, Massachusetts. So I was in six states (mostly small ones) in the space of six hours, and I can't remember which one it was, but somewhere I saw a "have two accidents in work zones - lose your license" sign, or words to that effect. "Fines doubled in work zones" are fairly standard; you'll probably see them in most states.
In Ohio they have 5 years jail + $10,000 fine or something. But it is "up to", probably just to scare people more than anything. I think it's the same in Indiana too.
Old June 12th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #6963
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post

Which do you prefer and why: Ramps with parallel acceleration/deceleration lanes, or tapered ramps?

I posted the same question on the German Autobahn thread and I would like to compare the discussion. Feel free to post in both threads.
TAPERS!

Maybe a separate thread would be better than cluttering two existing ones, though.

With a poll, of course.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #6964
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
Tapers for exiting, parallel for entering.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #6965
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
Tapers for exiting, parallel for entering.
This.
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #6966
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Yep, me too. I bet 90% of the Dutch drivers don't like the merging taper, which are very common in the Netherlands.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:06 AM   #6967
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

What about parallel for exiting? I like that one better than a taper because it gets exiting traffic out of the way.

Plus the fact that if the ramp backs up, it won't affect the mainline as much.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #6968
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

it all depends on the overall length of the ramp about the backup situation.
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #6969
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

I'm for parallel as well.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #6970
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

what's the difference between the two? Any pics?
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #6971
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interesting video of I-74 through Peoria, Illinois. Much more interesting than I expected.

Old June 13th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #6972
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I am in New England for a few days at the moment; on Wednesday I drove from home (Philadelphia) to Attleboro, Massachusetts. So I was in six states (mostly small ones) in the space of six hours, and I can't remember which one it was, but somewhere I saw a "have two accidents in work zones - lose your license" sign, or words to that effect. "Fines doubled in work zones" are fairly standard; you'll probably see them in most states.
Also in Texas, but "when workers are present" is added in small font underneath.
goldbough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #6973
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post

Wasn't sure what you were talking about until I looked up this picture:

[IMG]http://i54.************/fjqmty.gif[/IMG]

Not sure which is better, I feel like parallel is better...I just wanna get rid of the people that try to enter a freeway at 35 miles per hour.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #6974
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've never seen a taper with just one lane in the Netherlands. It's always the left lane that tapers and the right lane has a regular merging distance of 1000 ft.
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #6975
Tom 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Wasn't sure what you were talking about until I looked up this picture:
And you're a certified road enthusiast, too. Surely normal people pay even less notice.

I found this, from Wisconsin, https://trust.dot.state.wi.us/static.../fdm/11-30.pdf :

"When designing new interchanges or reconstructing interchanges. Use parallel-type entrance ramps in rural or urban applications. Refer to Exhibits 10-69/70/71, pages 849-853, GDHS 2001 for more information.

"Taper-type entrance ramps have been used predominantly for interchange design in the past. However, studies [2] have shown that parallel entrance ramps are generally safer than tapered. With tapered entrance the driver
has less time and poorer angles in which to use side/rear-view mirrors to monitor surrounding traffic prior to merging. Taper-type entrance ramps can also cause confusion in mainline horizontal curve situations when the
driver cannot identify mainline alignment."

So there. I still prefer tapers, though.

At two-lane entrances, Georgia uses a taper that's painted like a parallel, and it works great. I mean really great: it's used (among many other places) at the most overloaded ramp terminal at Spaghetti Junction. While traffic backs up for capacity reasons almost every day, the ramp terminal, which reduces the ramp from two lanes to one at the merge point, functions even under LOS F conditions. Traffic may move at a snail's pace, but everyone makes the merge without undue difficulty.

Last edited by Tom 958; June 14th, 2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #6976
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Tapered is superior to parallel. I can't even count the number of times someone in front of me continues forward on a parallel entrance ramp thinking the lane won't end, then suddenly stopping because they can't merge properly.

Tapered ramps force drivers on the ramp to actually look at traffic on the main lanes before making the merge, and it also encourages drivers on the main lanes to move over to let people in when safe to do so.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #6977
Tom 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
Tapered ramps force drivers on the ramp to actually look at traffic on the main lanes before making the merge, and it also encourages drivers on the main lanes to move over to let people in when safe to do so.
Yeah, on a taper I can spot my gap ahead of time and swoop in on it like a bird of prey instead of meekly assuming my place in line and hoping that someone already on the freeway isn't too oblivious to my ever-worsening predicament to let me in.

Hey: I was looking at New Orleans for a particularly horrible two lane ramp terminal I remembered (it's gone now) when I found this candidate for screwiest interchange I've ever seen, at I-10 and Causeway Blvd. I found this on the project website:

The green is (apparently, mostly) new flyovers and the blue is new at-grade ramps. Look: This scheme introduces a left-side entrance to I-10 eastbound where none now exists! WTF?

I-10 already has CD roads here-- the new loop ramp flyovers will eliminate any need for them on Causeway Blvd. The semidirect connection to I-10 eastbound will presumably divert a lot of traffic from the existing eastbound CD. Perhaps it'll be enough to do away with the current added lane where the CD joins I-10 so the new left-side entry can at least have its own lane instead of a forced merge.
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:31 AM   #6978
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

There are two way to get from Causeway Blvd S to I-10 E in that schematic, unless I'm reading it wrong.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #6979
Tom 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
There are two way to get from Causeway Blvd S to I-10 E in that schematic, unless I'm reading it wrong.
Yes, and to I-10 west as well. Causeway Blvd is already elevated over Veterans Memorial Blvd (the street with the canal in the middle, to the north of I-10) and the new ramps will provide access to and from both the elevated Causeway Blvd mainline and the frontage roads.

EDIT: In case you didn't know, a bit further south along Causeway Blvd you'll find the US' only British-style three-level roundabout interchange. Perhaps that road should be renamed "We'll Try Anything Once Blvd."

Topic, where are you?

Last edited by Tom 958; June 14th, 2011 at 05:10 AM.
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #6980
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

I-95 Providence

image hosted on flickr

Providence by Blooallah, on Flickr

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban