daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:52 PM   #681
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

oh you can see stars easily, but there aren't places where it gets intense dark. There is always city lights near the horizon. In Belgium, that's even worse, because the places where are no big cities have 100% lit motorways!
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #682
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Some places have a LOT of highways for not a whole lot of people.

North Dakota and South Dakota have 9,097 Km of Federal Highways (not even just roads or state highways) and only 1,397,044 people served by those highways. Many of them are just through interstates.

The central area of the US has 5,796,725 people and 19,957.47KM of Federal roads (obviously a lot more state and county roads).

That's quite a few miles of roads for not even 6 million people. A lot of the money to upkeep roads in the urban centers gets taken away to maintain the endless roads through our countryside.

These are always fun days!!!!

Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #683
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post

These are always fun days!!!!

Haha, in Oklahoma, that's today! Too bad I have class, otherwise I'd be chasing!
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #684
ren0312

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post
I'd agree with this, they're not the best, they're not the worst. A car I've driven in has never been DAMAGED just from driving down the road. I think we just went and built a LOT of paved roads for how many people we have to pay for them. We can't treat them all with extra love and care.
Better surfaces for the roads can be achieved, however, that has to be achieved at the cost of higher taxes, though for more right wing people like me, those funds can just can taken from social programs and be transferred to infrastructure spending, so in the end taxes would not increase, also, a better solution might be to include road funding in the tax bill rather than in gasoline taxes, since including them in the tax bill that a person gets would theoretically allow for more funding flexibility.
ren0312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #685
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Explosion Collapses Major SF Bay Area interchange

Tanker fire destroys part of MacArthur Maze
2 freeways closed near Bay Bridge

(04-29) 09:24 PDT OAKLAND -- The heat of a dramatic gasoline tanker fire destroyed an overpass and closed two major roadways in the MacArthur Maze at the East Bay access to the Bay Bridge early this morning.

A section of the roadway taking traffic from the Bay Bridge onto eastbound Interstate 580 fell onto the connector that brings East Bay traffic from Interstate 80 to Interstate 880 southbound toward Oakland and San Jose.

Lanes of 580 near the East Bay Municipal Utility District sewage treatment plant at the maze are draped like a blanket over the northeast edge of the freeway below with the corner tip touching the ground below that.

Traffic is being routed several different ways around the scene and tie-ups are likely to worsen as the day wears on.

"We're screwed, huh? That's going to be rough on everybody," said Joe Dorey, 55, an engineer who lives in Oakland.

The tanker, which was traveling from I-80 full of vehicle-ready gasoline, seems to have disappeared. One Caltrans worker at the scene held up his thumb and forefinger an inch apart to describe how big the tanker is now.

The driver, who got out of the truck on his own after it overturned, hailed a taxi to a nearby hospital, where he is in critical but stable condition with burns.

One section of roadway has fallen away from the main structure and another may yet fall this morning.

Below the two stretches of roadway is a Caltrans property full of equipment being used to rebuild the Bay Bridge.

So far this morning, traffic on all the affected roadways remains light, but major backups are expected today and for the foreseeable future.
sbarn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #686
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

This is BAD news for Bay Area motorists... this is one of the busiest interchanges in the region, and one of the busiest in the state of California.
sbarn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #687
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Oh damn, is that why East Bound Bay Bridge was closed a couple nights ago when I drove by?

Wait, nevermind.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #688
smartlake

Likes (Received): 0

Doesn't the Bay area hate freeways anyways?
smartlake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #689
peeph0le

Oh man, that freeway interchange is already bad enough as it is. Its like 20 minutes or more just to get from 80 South to 880 south.

The road looks like taffy.

Sucks for them, I'm glad I don't live near there.
peeph0le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #690
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

This will have an interesting effect on commuting in our region.
Old April 30th, 2007, 02:56 AM   #691
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

This stretch must be hexed. The '89 quake took out part of the Bay Bridge, and the Nimetz Freeway just to the south. Now this...

Last edited by pwalker; May 1st, 2007 at 07:49 PM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #692
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Damn, the asphalt looks more like rubber on the fourth picture

Today early in the morning I went to Fremont from Sacramento to pick up my fiancée, and we already came back. For some strange reason I decided to make a round trip via Stockton and Tracy instead of Oakland, and now it appears I avoided a major delay.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #693
Naga_Solidus

Likes (Received): 3

OMG, this is serious. I wonder if the effects will be felt farther south, i.e. in San Jose etc.
Old April 30th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #694
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

There was a goodly sized article on the front page of my local paper this morning. While the local angle isn't necessarily important, the article does bring up a rather interesting point about the economic ramifications of such an important connection.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...freeway30.html

When the earthquake toppled the freeway, what sort of economic and communting problems were experienced at that time? The earthquake of course had a winder damage footprint, so affected more people, it might have some bearing onto the problems that will be seen after this accident.
Old April 30th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #695
Jaxom92
Urban Studies Grad

With gas prices rising and breaking record highs this season (currently $3.25 average for my hometown) the political feasibility of more gas taxes is highly problematic. Washington has already locked in a stepped gas tax increas in the next couple years, so were kinda stuck, but I doubt we'll see new gas taxes any time soon.

We'll have to come up with a different way to fund our highways. The Seattle metropolitan region could directly tax itself to build a host of new projects. Portland has been doing this for quite some time, though they've historically been anti-highway.
Old April 30th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #696
cementationfurnace

Likes (Received): 21

That's insane. Good to see that only one person was hurt.

Are we sure fire could have actually made the highway collapse? We should contact Rosie O'Donnell to find out whether this was actually caused by surreptiously placed charges of plastic explosives.
cementationfurnace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #697
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartlake View Post
Doesn't the Bay area hate freeways anyways?
No. What a stupid question. the Bay Area understands the need for BALANCE between roads and rail.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #698
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cementationfurnace View Post
That's insane. Good to see that only one person was hurt.

Are we sure fire could have actually made the highway collapse? We should contact Rosie O'Donnell to find out whether this was actually caused by surreptiously placed charges of plastic explosives.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:51 AM   #699
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Stack interchanges are my favorite.

I hope this doesn't discourage DOTs from building them in the future.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:52 AM   #700
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

This is really a wake-up call to the entire West Coast. Our transportation system, for the most part, is not up to natural disasters. Remember the LA Northridge quake in '94? Tremendous freeway damange. Same with '89 in the Bay Area. In Seattle, the Alaskan Way Viaduct was damaged by an '01 quake. These roads needs to be replaced or strengthened or disaster will be in our future.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban