daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2011, 09:38 AM   #7001
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Great video of Interstate 64 in Saint Louis
minimum speed 40
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:44 PM   #7002
Selarom

Likes (Received): 1

how many hours do the americans spend driving at day?
Selarom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM   #7003
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selarom View Post
Probably little more than in many other countries, some people don't drive at all, others a lot. Some driving commutes are longer than in other countries, though.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:43 PM   #7004
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Lovely pictures man! Like the video too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Yes. Nice.
And those who were following the discussion a few days ago - was it on the France thread? - about bus lanes on freeways will note the one approaching the Lincoln Tunnel.
Thankyou both , next time i'll try to get the Tunnel entrance and morning lanes....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:59 PM   #7005
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Great video of Interstate 64 in Saint Louis

Love the difference you see at 3:00, "...back to classic 1960's freeway engineering", the difference is striking.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 10:55 PM   #7006
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selarom View Post
Like mgk920 said. I drive lots on weekends, whether to see my parents (80 miles away and my Dad's not very mobile at this point), do errands or just explore the countryside; but rarely drive an inch Monday-to-Friday, since I live five blocks from work and walking distance or public-transit distance from everything interesting in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Love the difference you see at 3:00, "...back to classic 1960's freeway engineering", the difference is striking.
That road actually goes back to the '40s, if I'm not mistaken: built as the Daniel Boone Expressway and was part of US 40 before they extended I-64 along it (which was relatively recent).

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #7007
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Is it true that people from New Jersey have a bad name when it comes to driving? Like Poles and Italians here in Europe, and the Dutch according to Austrians)
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #7008
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2107

Maybe it's because, stereotypically, many New Jerseyers (is it this the word?) are Guidos from Italy...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #7009
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

From what I've seen on American highway videos, most of them do not seem to have a clue about traffic flow or road etiquette. I would be freakishly annoyed with all those left-lane hoggers. Sometimes people just drive next to eachother without passing, not rarely below the speed limit. I don't really mind about people not using their turning signals when changing lanes as long as they don't do it right in front of you.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #7010
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
From what I've seen on American highway videos, most of them do not seem to have a clue about traffic flow or road etiquette. I would be freakishly annoyed with all those left-lane hoggers. Sometimes people just drive next to eachother without passing, not rarely below the speed limit. I don't really mind about people not using their turning signals when changing lanes as long as they don't do it right in front of you.
There is no law in the US against lane hogging, and drivers are permitted to overtake on either side, although slower drivers are encouraged to keep right...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #7011
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Very few things make me crazier than people driving side-by-side at the same speed (what's the point of having separate lanes, people?); and if you're driving alongside me, keeping pace, I will get out of that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
There is no law in the US against lane hogging, and drivers are permitted to overtake on either side, although slower drivers are encouraged to keep right...
No law? That's not true. As is discussed earlier in this thread (or the other U.S. one), I believe. Such laws just aren't very enforced.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #7012
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Maybe it's because, stereotypically, many New Jerseyers (is it this the word?) are Guidos from Italy...
"New Jerseyan" or "New Jerseyite." I was born and raised there. My home town has a sizable number of people who come from the same town in Abruzzi, and you could hear dialect spoken in the barber shop I used to go to 20 years ago. I'm not sure New Jersey drivers have a worse reputation than... well, I try not to engage in such stereotypes. At least [switches into native-New Jerseyan mode] we're courteous to pedestrians.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #7013
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

Quote:
Is it true that people from New Jersey have a bad name when it comes to driving? Like Poles and Italians here in Europe, and the Dutch according to Austrians)
I never heard of that. People around here usually think people from Massachusetts and New York are bad though.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #7014
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Many USA states have 'slower traffic keep right' laws and do enforce them.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #7015
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Thankfully US highways are big and have a lot of lanes so theres always a way to get passed the slow drivers.
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #7016
TheAnalyst
Havok

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post

Mike
I really makes my blood boil to see some idiot driving at or under the speed limit on the left lane with plenty of room ahead of them. To make things worse, there is usually another idiot traveling at the same speed right next to them, making it impossible to pass

I never see people getting pulled over for that. I think on the highway the vast majority of cars get pulled over for speeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
Thankfully US highways are big and have a lot of lanes so theres always a way to get passed the slow drivers.
Interstates have 2 lanes outside of the city.
TheAnalyst no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #7017
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
I really makes my blood boil to see some idiot driving at or under the speed limit on the left lane with plenty of room ahead of them. To make things worse, there is usually another idiot traveling at the same speed right next to them, making it impossible to pass

I never see people getting pulled over for that. I think on the highway the vast majority of cars get pulled over for speeding.
Agreed on both points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
Interstates have 2 lanes outside of the city.
That's a bit of an exaggeration; at least in the Northeast, there are plenty of three-lane stretches outside urban areas (I mean three lanes each way, obviously).

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #7018
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
"New Jerseyan" or "New Jerseyite." I was born and raised there. My home town has a sizable number of people who come from the same town in Abruzzi, and you could hear dialect spoken in the barber shop I used to go to 20 years ago. I'm not sure New Jersey drivers have a worse reputation than... well, I try not to engage in such stereotypes. At least [switches into native-New Jerseyan mode] we're courteous to pedestrians.
My girlfriend is from Abruzzi... her dialect is so different from Italian that I had hard time understanding her parents (who DIDN'T speak Italian), even if my hometown is only 300km from hers.

Back to the point, I don't like stereotypes either, but sometimes you can feel a very different behaviour going from one place to another. I got myself almost killed when I got back to Italy after a business week in Zurich, Switzerland: I got used to drivers stopping when they see a pedestrian approaching a crossing, so back in Italy I tried to cross as I would have done in Zurich... bad idea. Italian drivers simply don't care about pedestrian crossing. It's stereotype, but it's so true.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #7019
bogdymol
bogdymod

I love this cop:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #7020
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post

Mike
Like who?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban