daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #7021
Rail Claimore
Registered User
 
Rail Claimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,152
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Many USA states have 'slower traffic keep right' laws and do enforce them.

Mike
The "enforce them" part is new to me. The only state I've seen it done in is Illinois.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #7022
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan
 
xzmattzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Posts: 15,646
Likes (Received): 4268

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How about a sign "fines halve outside work zones" ?
I see these signs outside of construction zones to begin with. I can't figure out what the fines double from, meaning what is the normal level.
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #7023
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
My girlfriend is from Abruzzi... her dialect is so different from Italian that I had hard time understanding her parents (who DIDN'T speak Italian), even if my hometown is only 300km from hers.

Back to the point, I don't like stereotypes either, but sometimes you can feel a very different behaviour going from one place to another. I got myself almost killed when I got back to Italy after a business week in Zurich, Switzerland: I got used to drivers stopping when they see a pedestrian approaching a crossing, so back in Italy I tried to cross as I would have done in Zurich... bad idea. Italian drivers simply don't care about pedestrian crossing. It's stereotype, but it's so true.
What gets me in Italy is that even though there are 3 lanes full of solid traffic, there is always one who thinks that nobody else has the right to be on lane 3, and starts flashing his lights, going bumber to bumber. This is common practice on the A1 between Firenze and Napoli. In England, however, there are plenty of people who think it's acceptable to sit on the outside lane without actually overtaking. I try to flash them out of the way, and they get angry and start slamming the breaks...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #7024
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,483
Likes (Received): 2101

You're right, I hate flashers (except some kind of flashers)... in Italy they're common, and until recently they really got on my nerves. Some Audi big guys think that my Peugeot 207 has got 200hp like they do, but it really is not the case. So in those cases I finish my overtaking quietly and then move back to the normal lane. They can flash until their lamps break, I will not accelerate just to accommodate their delusions of grandeur...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #7025
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You're right, I hate flashers (except some kind of flashers)... in Italy they're common, and until recently they really got on my nerves. Some Audi big guys think that my Peugeot 207 has got 200hp like they do, but it really is not the case. So in those cases I finish my overtaking quietly and then move back to the normal lane. They can flash until their lamps break, I will not accelerate just to accommodate their delusions of grandeur...
Same with me.

Anyway, I'm heading for Munich in an hour - FLASH ME when you see me on the good ol' A8
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #7026
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,483
Likes (Received): 2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Same with me.

Anyway, I'm heading for Munich in an hour - FLASH ME when you see me on the good ol' A8
Eheh, not sure if I'm actually taking A8 or A95, I will decide depending on traffic news... but if I do, expect a flash
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #7027
OriK
Usuario Registrado
 
OriK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 721
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK

What gets me in Italy is that even though there are 3 lanes full of solid traffic, there is always one who thinks that nobody else has the right to be on lane 3, and starts flashing his lights, going bumber to bumber. This is common practice on the A1 between Firenze and Napoli. In England, however, there are plenty of people who think it's acceptable to sit on the outside lane without actually overtaking. I try to flash them out of the way, and they get angry and start slamming the breaks...
In Spain there are a lot of people that find flashers annoying so despite flashers are also used, most people (at least in my zone) uses the left blinker instead the flashes when want to overtake a car in the left lane. Also its useful on daylight because people usually dont notice that you are flashing them unless you do it constantly (i think that's the reason of its annoyance)
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 03:59 AM   #7028
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,529
Likes (Received): 21235

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You're right, I hate flashers... in Italy they're common, and until recently they really got on my nerves. Some Audi big guys think that my Peugeot 207 has got 200hp like they do, but it really is not the case. So in those cases I finish my overtaking quietly and then move back to the normal lane. They can flash until their lamps break, I will not accelerate just to accommodate their delusions of grandeur...
While I dislike flashers, what infuriates me most in Italian traffic (I'm in Catania right now) are drivers who flash at you when you are driving at the prescribed speed on the rightmost lane. I play it safe with speed limits, even if they are stupid sometimes, I follow them. But some people can't handle it and start flashing and flashing. It happened to me yesterday when I was travelling Palermo-Catania, near an area where the limit is 80km/h. traffic flying at 150km/h was passing me on the left, then somebody on a Cinquecento (I was in a LAncia Delta) started flashing and, gosh, honking. Few km ahead, a bus tour driver came close and started bothering. I'm 100% sure about the speed limit, it is temporary (minor roadworks on the opposite side of the highway), posted numerous times along a 6-8km stretch, and there is a sign of end of restrictions (the 80 crossed in black and white) after the work zone ended.

Couple years ago I had the worst flashing experience. While driving on A3 between Giogia Tauro and Villa San Giovanni, there were a lot of work sites where the highway was 1+1, mostly on viaducts and tunnels. The limit there is usually 60km/h, sometimes 50km/h. I drove respecting it entirely, don't want an Autovelox to fine me. Two cars passed me illegally on a straight stretch, then a truck from Ukraine started honking and put high beams in the middle of a 2km-long tunnel operating as 1-lane only. It was somehow nerving, it made a lot of noise, he kept honking unstopped and so. I honestly wish there were the most annoying possible road cop there to give that harassing truck driver at least 4 fines.
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!

Last edited by Suburbanist; June 25th, 2011 at 04:05 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #7029
OriK
Usuario Registrado
 
OriK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 721
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
While I dislike flashers, what infuriates me most in Italian traffic (I'm in Catania right now) are drivers who flash at you when you are driving at the prescribed speed on the rightmost lane. I play it safe with speed limits, even if they are stupid sometimes, I follow them. But some people can't handle it and start flashing and flashing. It happened to me yesterday when I was travelling Palermo-Catania, near an area where the limit is 80km/h. traffic flying at 150km/h was passing me on the left, then somebody on a Cinquecento (I was in a LAncia Delta) started flashing and, gosh, honking. Few km ahead, a bus tour driver came close and started bothering. I'm 100% sure about the speed limit, it is temporary (minor roadworks on the opposite side of the highway), posted numerous times along a 6-8km stretch, and there is a sign of end of restrictions (the 80 crossed in black and white) after the work zone ended.

Couple years ago I had the worst flashing experience. While driving on A3 between Giogia Tauro and Villa San Giovanni, there were a lot of work sites where the highway was 1+1, mostly on viaducts and tunnels. The limit there is usually 60km/h, sometimes 50km/h. I drove respecting it entirely, don't want an Autovelox to fine me. Two cars passed me illegally on a straight stretch, then a truck from Ukraine started honking and put high beams in the middle of a 2km-long tunnel operating as 1-lane only. It was somehow nerving, it made a lot of noise, he kept honking unstopped and so. I honestly wish there were the most annoying possible road cop there to give that harassing truck driver at least 4 fines.
I understand you... I don't respect speed limits always but at least I always respect people respecting them... but I've heard some scary stories about Italy (specifically Naples) of peoble honking you because you don't pass a red traffic light!

That reminds me when I was getting my driver license... you obviously have to respect every speed limit when practicing to get it... but some of them are really absurd... I remember one road with 1 lane connecting two motorways... limited to 40km/h ... I had a jam behind me and nobody ahead! but everybody respected me... also in your first year of license in Spain you are limited to 80km/h in every road... almost everybody respects you but you feel bad because you know that everybody hates you :S
OriK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #7030
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,529
Likes (Received): 21235

Sorry, somehow I thought I was replying to the Italian thread that was opened in other browser window.
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #7031
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Clear road signing in the US....

Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #7032
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,591
Likes (Received): 19378

That is some really bad photoshop
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #7033
ttownfeen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: William T. Sherman's stomping grounds
Posts: 454
Likes (Received): 17

Man, how'd that British sign bridge get over here?
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #7034
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Clear road signing in the US....

Can't be real. Besides the utter implausibility of the thing, I-195 in Florida's about 200 miles from I-4.

EDIT: and I-10's nowhere near either of them.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #7035
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,591
Likes (Received): 19378

The small white truck and the red car are also photoshopped.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #7036
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,428
Likes (Received): 890

DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #7037
MarneGator
Registered User
 
MarneGator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 75
Likes (Received): 46

The signs for old exits are bothersome, though. I saw them for the first time when I was driving in Pittsburgh on I-376 and I just couldn't understand why they exist. I can't imagine they help locals get used to new numbers any - they'll probably know their exits - or even those unfamiliar with a given road; all it seemed to do is provide additional information to sort through.
MarneGator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #7038
Paddington
Registered User
 
Paddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Southland
Posts: 4,665
Likes (Received): 1261

That's a photoshop. You know that right?
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #7039
MarneGator
Registered User
 
MarneGator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 75
Likes (Received): 46

No no, not the picture, but the real practice of putting up "old ##" exit signs. Like I wrote, I've seen them in person, don't care for them, and don't understand the practice. Just curious about people's thoughts or some esoteric traffic engineering data
MarneGator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #7040
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.
 
Fargo Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Port Kepler, Galilei Continent, Chakona
Posts: 685
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I see these signs outside of construction zones to begin with. I can't figure out what the fines double from, meaning what is the normal level.
It's double the regular fine of the jurisdiction you are in at the time of the offense. Let's say you commit a moving violation in a work zone, and the fine is $125 if it had occurred outside of said work zone, in say Washington State, just for sake of discussion, then the fine would be $250.

The reason fines double in work zones, is because of the risk to construction crews in said zones. They may be working right next to moving traffic, which could, depending on the work being carried out and zone setup, be carrying traffic moving at up to 80 km/h (55MPH). I speak from personal experience too. In theory, it's supposed to drive home the message that committing moving violations in a work zone, puts said workers at an increased risk of injury and/or death.
__________________
Resident Rouge/Assasin who is a flag wolfess on the side and would love to live in the Netherlands.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium