daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #7061
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
California has agricultural inspection stations and is allowed to do so because its agro-ecosystem is separate from the rest of the US.
Is that for the only purpose of keeping diseases and parasites outside?

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #7062
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
California has agricultural inspection stations and is allowed to do so because its agro-ecosystem is separate from the rest of the US.
Not just a separate ecosystem; I believe the trigger for this was some specific infestation they wanted to contain. I wonder if it's ever been challenged in court, though; if every state did that, we'd have a major interstate-commerce issue. Border inspections within the country...just seem wrong. And we've discussed this at AA Roads and some of the Californians there think the inspection stations in the south are functioning these days more to flush out undocumented immigrants.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #7063
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
It is noticeable how the pavement degrades once one enters in CA. I experienced once a similar "shock", but while actually driving, on I-70, exiting Utah and entering Colorado.
That's not "degraded pavement"... that's new concrete!

Caltrans (California Department of Transportation) is in the middle of a complete overhaul of I-80 over the Sierra Nevada mountains that includes replacing the 50+ year old pavement. The section of I-80 featured in the video from the Nevada stateline to the Truckee River bridge was completely repaved in late 2010 with new concrete.

For more information about this project go to www.getacross80.com
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:02 AM   #7064
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

Drivers will going a bit faster, Kansas is uping the speed limit on freeways outside Witchita and Topeka to 75. But there more surprising news in that Maine will increase the limits I-95 north of Bangor to 75 finally breaking up that northeast block of states with 65 mph limits hopefully this pushes other those states increase their speed limits

Lawmakers OK 75-mph speed limit between Old Town, Houlton

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/06/2...-town-houlton/

http://www.kctv5.com/story/15004154/...limit-increase
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:12 AM   #7065
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
This was just posted in another forvm, a *SWEET* ride on westbound I-80 from downtown Reno, NV to Truckee, CA, including a quick stop at the 'California customs' station at Truckee.

Enjoy!

Mike
Part two, westward from Truckee, CA and down much of the west side:

The wide area at the beginning is the original site of the 'California customs' station, before it was moved farther east.

Also, the elevation at the summit ('7239') is 2206.4 meters.

Enjoy!

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; July 2nd, 2011 at 09:17 AM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:00 AM   #7066
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
Drivers will going a bit faster, Kansas is uping the speed limit on freeways outside Witchita and Topeka to 75. But there more surprising news in that Maine will increase the limits I-95 north of Bangor to 75 finally breaking up that northeast block of states with 65 mph limits hopefully this pushes other those states increase their speed limits

Lawmakers OK 75-mph speed limit between Old Town, Houlton

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/06/2...-town-houlton/

http://www.kctv5.com/story/15004154/...limit-increase
I hope it spreads to reset of the Northeast. There is no reason why speed limits should be kept at 65.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:27 PM   #7067
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Not just a separate ecosystem; I believe the trigger for this was some specific infestation they wanted to contain. I wonder if it's ever been challenged in court, though; if every state did that, we'd have a major interstate-commerce issue. Border inspections within the country...just seem wrong. And we've discussed this at AA Roads and some of the Californians there think the inspection stations in the south are functioning these days more to flush out undocumented immigrants.
Florida and Texas have them as well.

In the Southwest states they also have Permanent Border Patrol checkpoints on the Interstates which are used occasionaly.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:13 PM   #7068
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Now that you mention it, I've heard about Florida, but if memory serves passenger cars aren't required to stop - can someone confirm that? Never heard about Texas.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:16 PM   #7069
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Florida and Texas have them as well.

In the Southwest states they also have Permanent Border Patrol checkpoints on the Interstates which are used occasionaly.
Are they activated when there is some AMBER alert in the area, for instance?
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:57 PM   #7070
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Yes Florida has agriculture stations only for larger vehicles, passenger vehicles don't stop.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:21 AM   #7071
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

Now that you mention it, I've heard about Florida, but if memory serves passenger cars aren't required to stop - can someone confirm that? Never heard about Texas.
Only trucks carrying livestock are inspected in Texas, ditto for Florida except I think that covers any agricultural products moving into the state.

Quote:
Are they activated when there is some AMBER alert in the area, for instance?
Regarding the Border Patrol checkpoints on the interstates, they are only occasionaly used by the Border Patrol to search for either drugs or illegal immigrants.

Here is an example of one on I-10 just east of El Paso, TX.

There also used to be INS checkpoints along US 1 in the Florida Keys until the mayor of Key West decided to draw attention and "seceed" from the US in order to remove the checkpoints.
United States Border Patrol Interior Checkpoints

Last edited by diablo234; July 3rd, 2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:53 AM   #7072
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

A short, pathetic, photo-free trip report:

The widening of I-75 and I-475 in Georgia to 2x3 is now complete. Disregarding two short sections of 2x2 within the I-24 and the northern I-75-475 interchanges, the 2x3 segment is 505 miles/813 km long.

Except...

The original concrete pavement between GA 27 (mile 112) and GA 26 (mile 127) is in very bad shape and work has begun to (I guess) replace it, so traffic has been reduced back to two lanes in each direction. I'm not sure what they'll do here, but since the new lanes added (IIRC) in the early '00's are still in OK shape, I suspect that they'll do the same type of reconstruction they've done recently on I-85 from south of Newnan to GA 74 at Fairburn: Build new concrete lanes and an unjersey barrier in the rather narrow median, shift traffic onto the new lane and the '00's lane, remove and replace the two deteriorated old lanes, then open the three right lanes in each direction and use the new left lane as a shoulder.

Or maybe they'll just build pavement as a heavy-duty shoulder and forget the unjersey barrier. By my eye it looks as though the alignment is straight enough that no more than the 2% cross slope used for shoulders will be needed, and I don't see enough difference in the elevations of the two roadways to make a concrete barrier do double duty as a retaining wall.

The slightly-older asphalt paving north of there is still doing fine.

The I-75/475 south interchange is finished, with a startling five lanes of traffic in each direction, but the new folded diamond interchange south of there is progressing at a glacial pace. If you're going that way, watch for the closure of two left lanes southbound-- it could get hairy there if traffic is heavy.

There's an oddity at Exit 41 in Sparks, GA: A bright, red-white-and-blue Interstate shield directs I-75 traffic onto this crappy little exit in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes the DOT guys really aren't into their work.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:51 AM   #7073
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Nice video of Interstate 55 through Saint Louis:

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:50 PM   #7074
Suburbanist
on the road

Sometimes, here and there, I read that these checkpoints were being a "preparation for extended martial law, curfews and police state in America" in certain off-the-mark blogs.

As much as those guyes might be exaggerating the issue, it amazes me that major checkpoint facilities on Interstate routes can operate without much opposition.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:14 PM   #7075
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Nice video of Interstate 55 through Saint Louis:
Having grown up in St. Louis, I can say that the highways downtown are AWFUL.
Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:23 PM   #7076
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

St. Louis to Fulton, Missouri in 3 minutes (just under 100 miles).

Most of the video is on I-70.

Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:20 PM   #7077
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
smartass
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #7078
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Only trucks carrying livestock are inspected in Texas, ditto for Florida except I think that covers any agricultural products moving into the state.

Regarding the Border Patrol checkpoints on the interstates, they are only occasionaly used by the Border Patrol to search for either drugs or illegal immigrants.

Here is an example of one on I-10 just east of El Paso, TX.

There also used to be INS checkpoints along US 1 in the Florida Keys until the mayor of Key West decided to draw attention and "seceed" from the US in order to remove the checkpoints.
United States Border Patrol Interior Checkpoints
I went through that one on I-10 near Sierra Blanca a few months ago. Are those checkpoints in operation 24/7?
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #7079
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
I went through that one on I-10 near Sierra Blanca a few months ago. Are those checkpoints in operation 24/7?
No, the Border Patrol only uses those inspection stations periodicaly, however they are monitored by security cameras as well.
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #7080
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Parts 3 and 4 of WB I-80 between Reno, NV and Sacramento, CA

Part 3, from just west of Donner Summit to the rest area at mp 143:

And,
Part 4, from the rest area to the outer edge of the Sacramento, CA metro area.

These two are an almost surreal ride through hills and pine forest, while keeping in mind that there is an over 2 km vertical drop on I-80 westbound from Donner Summit to Sacramento. I am still amazed that on its entire routing, I-80 only has three tunnels - one in Wyoming, one in Nevada and the other between the bridges on its crossing of San Francisco Bay and that none were needed in the Sierras.

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; July 7th, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban