daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 7th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #7081
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Despite the Alps being of similar height as the Rocky Mountains in the contiguous U.S., their ridges are much narrower, which means that you can get through the main chain using a 10-mile tunnel. This doesn't work in the Rocky Mountains, where the valleys are generally much higher and mountain ranges are significantly wider (longer) to cross. The highest freeway in the Alps is only at 4,200 feet, while it is not uncommon for Interstate 80 to be at 7,000+ feet.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #7082
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Yep. And I was surprised when I saw that I-70 climbs up to the same height as the highest peak of the Pyrenees: 3404 meters (That's it, 11168 feet) above sea level.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #7083
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Last part of I-80 into metro Sacramento, CA.

Ending at just under 100 m in altitude. Between Sacramento and the Bay area metro area, there are places with land that is below sea level.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #7084
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-5 in north San Diego:
Old July 9th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #7085
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #7086
Cactus Jack

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post

And,
Part 4, from the rest area to the outer edge of the Sacramento, CA metro area.

These two are an almost surreal ride through hills and pine forest, while keeping in mind that there is an over 2 km vertical drop on I-80 westbound from Donner Summit to Sacramento. I am still amazed that on its entire routing, I-80 only has three tunnels - one in Wyoming, one in Nevada and the other between the bridges on its crossing of San Francisco Bay and that none were needed in the Sierras.

Mike
Thanks for putting up a vid of my hometown Mike. Doesnt look like much has changed in a few years.
Cactus Jack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #7087
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

SR 520 in Washington State will be using hard shoulder running as an auxiliary lane for the first time once the westside of the bridge replacement scheme is completed. The shoulder will be 14 feet wide, and when in use, it will serve as a 12-foot lane with a 2-foot shoulder.

This sign will be used.

It is a compromise between the public, who want a narrower bridge, and WSDOT, who wants to minimized traffic impacts on surrounding surface streets.

The same concept is being considered for I-5 in Marysville.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #7088
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Actually, in WA they do enforce them. I knew two people who were fined because they were hogging the left lane on I-90 (2x2, rural area, Eastern WA). But then again, in WA people typically do not block left lanes to begin with.
I drove from Seattle to Leavenworth a few weeks ago and was surprised that I didn't have to overtake a single person on the right. People always stayed out of the left lane, except for one person. Just for fun, I flashed high-beams twice and signalled left towards the shoulder, and then he moved over.

Two weeks later when I roadtripped to Yakima, it was a different story. Multiple people (and even trucks) hogging the left lane throughout the trip. It's noticeable because the roadway gets fairly congested behind left-lane hoggers. Once you get past them, traffic spreads out again. I wish I'd gotten it on video.

The one thing I noticed though was that in 2 x 3 highways, the right lane is almost never used. In fact I did traffic counts once and found that the right lane consistently has the least amount of traffic in free-flow conditions. Another concern I had was that it is stated that the left lane may only be used for overtaking in Washington State law, but it doesn't address hogging the middle lane when the right lane is wide open. But then again, we have signs that say "Keep right except to pass", which implies moving as far right as possible. So which exactly is it?

Last edited by HAWC1506; July 10th, 2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #7089
Highwaycrazy

Likes (Received): 0

And speaking of the shoulder lane, yesterday, some driver actually passed me on the right shoulder lane on I-95.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #7090
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
SR 520 in Washington State will be using hard shoulder running as an auxiliary lane for the first time once the westside of the bridge replacement scheme is completed. The shoulder will be 14 feet wide, and when in use, it will serve as a 12-foot lane with a 2-foot shoulder.

This sign will be used.

It is a compromise between the public, who want a narrower bridge, and WSDOT, who wants to minimized traffic impacts on surrounding surface streets.

Cool, the signs are exactly the same as used in the Netherlands since the 1990's. (except for the English language of course).

Old July 10th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #7091
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
The one thing I noticed though was that in 2 x 3 highways, the right lane is almost never used. In fact I did traffic counts once and found that the right lane consistently has the least amount of traffic in free-flow conditions.
I watch American highway videos often, and it never ceases to amaze me why people drive in the left lanes for no apparent reason. Sometimes the right lane is clear for miles, yet people stick to the middle or left lanes. Although we do have some left-lane hogging (and middle-lane sticking) in Europe as well, it's nowhere nearly as bad as in the United States.
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #7092
HAWC1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Cool, the signs are exactly the same as used in the Netherlands since the 1990's. (except for the English language of course).

Yeah, we're going to adopt them. WSDOT says ours is going to be written in Dutch as well.
Just kidding.
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #7093
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post

And speaking of the shoulder lane, yesterday, some driver actually passed me on the right shoulder lane on I-95.
Hell I've used the exit lane to pass people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I watch American highway videos often, and it never ceases to amaze me why people drive in the left lanes for no apparent reason. Sometimes the right lane is clear for miles, yet people stick to the middle or left lanes. Although we do have some left-lane hogging (and middle-lane sticking) in Europe as well, it's nowhere nearly as bad as in the United States.

It seems like in cities the right lane is always trying to take you off the freeway, seems like the most chaotic lane because people are entering slowly, merging stupidly, slowing down too much. One of my friends a while back on a road trip hogged the left lane for the entire trip...his explanation "I like the left lane." I love the "left lane for passing only signs" they've put up here in Texas but I think they should mount flashing lights on them for better effect.

Last edited by FM 2258; July 10th, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
FM 2258 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #7094
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

If we actually had proper driving education or enforcement our roads could be more efficient. If I'm sitting passenger in somebodies car and they are sitting in the left lane it annoys me so much I always say why are you sitting in the passing lane? Most people answer with confusion not knowing that was the passing lane, some argue its not. It never ceases to amaze me.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #7095
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21235

Quote:

This sign will be used.

What is the current configuration of this road?
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #7096
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Old July 11th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #7097
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Frankly, if I have three or more lanes available and traffic's heavyish, I'll usually stick to the lane next to the right one: you're not conflicting with entering and exiting traffic, or constantly changing lanes to pass. But I tend to drive a bit above the limit (say low 70s in a 65).

In an area where there are long gaps between exits, but still three lanes (say 95 in northeastern Maryland) I'll stick to the right more.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #7098
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19142

I wonder how many people on this forum who complain about driving not on the right lane ever drove busy American urban freeway.
There are exit/entry ramps every mile or even less, plenty of traffic joining/leaving freeway. Add masses of slow trucks and you understand why people often avoid two right lanes on 5-6 lane urban freeways. I do it myself. Otherwise you constantly change lanes which is more dangerous than necessary.
Especially if you drive a bit faster than the limit

On the rural freeways it's entirely different matter. People still drive in the left even if right lane is empty. But I guess many people spend most of their time driving urban freeways and that's where they develop their driving habits. Unfortunately they drive on rural two lane roads in the same manner.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #7099
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Yep.
Although I was on 81 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike yesterday and most people stuck to the right.
I was - particularly on 81 - wondering what life would be like with a German-style Sunday truck ban, though....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #7100
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Triborough Bridge in New York City turns 75 years today.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban