daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #7101
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Renamed, about three years ago, the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge. Traffic reports (I'm in the New York area a couple times a month to see my parents) have already started calling it "the RFK" more often than "the Triborough."

Just a point of information.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #7102
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I wonder how many people on this forum who complain about driving not on the right lane ever drove busy American urban freeway.
There are exit/entry ramps every mile or even less, plenty of traffic joining/leaving freeway. Add masses of slow trucks and you understand why people often avoid two right lanes on 5-6 lane urban freeways. I do it myself. Otherwise you constantly change lanes which is more dangerous than necessary.
Especially if you drive a bit faster than the limit

On the rural freeways it's entirely different matter. People still drive in the left even if right lane is empty. But I guess many people spend most of their time driving urban freeways and that's where they develop their driving habits. Unfortunately they drive on rural two lane roads in the same manner.
I could understand this during rush hour, but what periods between rush hour, or at night?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #7103
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Renamed, about three years ago, the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge. Traffic reports (I'm in the New York area a couple times a month to see my parents) have already started calling it "the RFK" more often than "the Triborough."

Just a point of information.
Already? Thats pretty quick, the bridge in Figueira was renamed five years ago and is still known as its old name, and people in Portugal still say Rhodesia
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #7104
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I could understand this during rush hour, but what periods between rush hour, or at night?
When's the last time you were on 95 between Baltimore and Wilmington on a Sunday afternoon, say? Unless you're willing to stick to about 55, you're either going to be in and out of the right lane or just sticking to the middle one. I persist in believing that sticking to the middle lane as long as possible is at least as safe as the in-and-out thing.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #7105
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
When's the last time you were on 95 between Baltimore and Wilmington on a Sunday afternoon, say? Unless you're willing to stick to about 55, you're either going to be in and out of the right lane or just sticking to the middle one. I persist in believing that sticking to the middle lane as long as possible is at least as safe as the in-and-out thing.
Sorry, what I meant is staying off the far left lane during periods of low traffic.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #7106
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Gotcha.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:49 AM   #7107
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What is the current configuration of this road?
Currently it's a 2x2 dual carriageway. The new replacement bridge will be a 2x3 dual carriageway, with an additional westbound hard shoulder-running acting as an auxiliary lane.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #7108
Liam0711
Birdland Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Where I-95 intersects I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) northeast of the city. This has been a major project thats actually been scaled back due to the economy. This angle is looking south.

Photo from Wikipedia.
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #7109
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

What's been scaled back? I know they redid that interchange and the 95/895 one a couple of years ago - are you talking about the express lanes or is there more to be done on the interchange itself?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 13th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #7110
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Scaled back or not, that is a very impressive stack interchange. Not many of those in the Northeast.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #7111
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I watch American highway videos often, and it never ceases to amaze me why people drive in the left lanes for no apparent reason. Sometimes the right lane is clear for miles, yet people stick to the middle or left lanes. Although we do have some left-lane hogging (and middle-lane sticking) in Europe as well, it's nowhere nearly as bad as in the United States.
Lane discipline among US drivers is very lacking to say the least.

In Houston for example you can have a 14-lane freeway and yet some idiot still decides to go 55mph in the left lane.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #7112
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I watch American highway videos often, and it never ceases to amaze me why people drive in the left lanes for no apparent reason. Sometimes the right lane is clear for miles, yet people stick to the middle or left lanes. Although we do have some left-lane hogging (and middle-lane sticking) in Europe as well, it's nowhere nearly as bad as in the United States.
Most places in America only have 6+ lanes in populated areas with numerous exits and entrances, so staying on the right lane is inviting a merging disaster.

Last edited by ttownfeen; July 13th, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #7113
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Most places in America only have 6+ lanes in populated areas with numerous exits and entrances, so staying on the right lane is inviting a merging disaster.
What I usually do is to pre-empt the merging lanes changing to the right lane when I see cars on the acceleration lane or near a busy junction.

At the same time, what I really didn't like in US on the areas I used do drive (WY, CO, UT) where 2+2 is much more common are drivers who keep tailgating when you are driving at the speed limit on the left lane while the right lane is moving slower due to a climb or something full of trucks.

It happened often between Laramie and Cheyenne: despite some truck lanes here and there in WY, some sections are inclined, and trucks go around at 50mph there. Then, you either stick at 5omph on the right lane or drive at the seepd limit (65/75) on the right lane. But there are always drivers who think all traffic not moving "fast" should take the right lane, even if is moving below the speed limit.

In UT this is common also. Many people drive cars at 85mph-90mph. There are many trucks on I-70. So if you want to stick to the 75mph limit and avoid treacherous UT highway police speed traps, you have to put up with the not-so-occasional driver thinking you need to slow down and go to the right lane to give her/him passage, like it were an ambulance or f.f. engine.
Old July 13th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #7114
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Most highway videos are shot during low traffic hours, and often the right lane is completely free with no merging traffic whatsoever and still people don't get into the right lane, it's just for decoration.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #7115
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

here in sonoma co we have 3+3 with the fast lane being a carpool lane during the morning and evening commute hours. it's funny because people will still avoid the lane during the weekend or outside the posted hours. there could be significant traffic in the right 2 lanes but the left lane will be virtually empty.
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #7116
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Like temporary bus lanes (at certain hours) here
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 04:53 AM   #7117
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
here in sonoma co we have 3+3 with the fast lane being a carpool lane during the morning and evening commute hours. it's funny because people will still avoid the lane during the weekend or outside the posted hours. there could be significant traffic in the right 2 lanes but the left lane will be virtually empty.
It's funny why that happens. I remember a lane for 2+ occupancy vehicles (I think North of Nashville, TN) on whichever Interstate it is. I made sure I didn't drive in that lane, it was only an hour later that I realized that there were 3 passengers in the car so I could've driven in that lane. I guess the brain sees "only for..." and even when it reads the whole thing it thinks "not for me, it's only for..." I felt really stupid, and almost wanted to go back just so that I could drive in that lane! I'm sure I won't make that mistake again though.
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #7118
State of the Union

Likes (Received): 12

Unless you have European style electronic dynamic signs, lanes that are certain things only at certain times are very unclear. Northern California is probably the worst, as there are only those small median carpool signs to give any indication of temporary HOV access.

I honestly think rush hour-only HOV lanes are pretty pointless, because by the time the peak is over there is not enough SOV traffic to need the extra lane opened by the lane. Not only that it only makes it confusing and complicating things to drivers, as they try to read "7-9am 3-6pm" moving at 70 mph.
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #7119
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

I'm so glad we don't have that HOV idiocy in my part of the country.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #7120
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

I think the completely-separated reversible HOV lanes used in Northern Virginia are the best way to go.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban