daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #7201
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well, it's a fact the U.S. freeway fatality rate is far higher than in most of Europe, despite the speed limits being significantly lower. In 2003, 5.2 people were killed per 1 billion motorway (freeway) vehicle kilometers. For instance, this was 3.8 in Germany, 4.0 in France, 2.1 in the Netherlands and 2.0 in the United Kingdom.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_safety#KSI_by_country
Notice the number for Spain, but it is explained because then we had few km of motorways/freeways, now we have a lot more. (I'm wondering if they have included autovías on that number...)

Back on topic, I'm very surprised to see a urban freeway empty. I bet the 405 in LA area is never empty.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #7202
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Notice the number for Spain, but it is explained because then we had few km of motorways/freeways, now we have a lot more. (I'm wondering if they have included autovías on that number...)
I think that is a mistake, it's way too far off to be a statistical outlier. I think they included only the vehicle miles on autopistas, but included all fatalities on autopistas + autovías. Even though Spain has improved its traffic safety since 2003, it surely wasn't THAT bad. (15 times the German rate)

Quote:
Yes, but you only hear about spectacular 50- and 60- vehicle pileups in Europe. 'Cause they're all tailgating while they drive too fast. (I'm being facetious.)
Of course you hear only about the multi-vehicle pileups. How often do you think a single-vehicle accident in Europe makes the news in the U.S.? This only happened in 1997 I think.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #7203
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Was that a single-vehicle accident, or Mercedes and scooter?

Now what was it that happened to Queen Beatrix a couple of years ago? Was that an attempted assassination? I don't remember.

(I meant, that sort of thing doesn't seem to happen as much here. Like riots at soccer games. (Still being facetious! ;-) ))

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #7204
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Old August 7th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #7205
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I love Interstate 10 between Houston and San Antonio. Just wish they would raise the speed limit to 80.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #7206
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Meadow Lake Wind Farm on I-65 in northwest Indiana. Nice place to drive through.

Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #7207
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Back on topic, I'm very surprised to see a urban freeway empty. I bet the 405 in LA area is never empty.
Well it was during Carmagedon.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #7208
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Well, it's a fact the U.S. freeway fatality rate is far higher than in most of Europe, despite the speed limits being significantly lower. In 2003, 5.2 people were killed per 1 billion motorway (freeway) vehicle kilometers. For instance, this was 3.8 in Germany, 4.0 in France, 2.1 in the Netherlands and 2.0 in the United Kingdom.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_safety#KSI_by_country
It's wrong to make comparisons like that. It assumes that fatalities should be a function of kilometers traveled. Just top of my head I can think of "average distance traveled per trip" as just one other variable that would affect it (it might not, but it's plausible).
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #7209
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
I think that is a mistake, it's way too far off to be a statistical outlier. I think they included only the vehicle miles on autopistas, but included all fatalities on autopistas + autovías. Even though Spain has improved its traffic safety since 2003, it surely wasn't THAT bad. (15 times the German rate)
It IS a mistake, they just dropped the decimal point. Look at this other page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #7210
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Was that a single-vehicle accident, or Mercedes and scooter?

Now what was it that happened to Queen Beatrix a couple of years ago? Was that an attempted assassination? I don't remember.

(I meant, that sort of thing doesn't seem to happen as much here. Like riots at soccer games. (Still being facetious! ;-) ))
Does foreign stuff like that reach the news in the US?!

P.S That pileup in Madison made the news here a couple of years ago, but the recent one in Portugal did not reach the news in the UK
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #7211
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilesy View Post
Meadow Lake Wind Farm on I-65 in northwest Indiana. Nice place to drive through.
I remember driving through there, looks so cool at sunset. Excuse the quality, taking a picture with a DSLR going 75mph isn't easy lol.

I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #7212
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

(This is pointing to Daniel, not I-275)
Depends what it is. (The riots outside Paris in, what, 2005 got lots of coverage. So, of course, do your long-suffering head of state and her interesting relatives). But I read French and Belgian sites.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #7213
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I remember driving through there, looks so cool at sunset. Excuse the quality, taking a picture with a DSLR going 75mph isn't easy lol.

Did they just install those windmills along I-65? I remember driving on that Interstate three/four years ago and I don't remember them being there?
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:19 AM   #7214
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

My pic is from Aug 12, 2010 so its possible.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #7215
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Okay, that explains it, thanks.

Anyways here is a cool shot of I-35W in Minneapolis with the skyline in the background.

image hosted on flickr

Minneapolis skyline from my car #1 by Dan H
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #7216
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

You guys misunderstood me. Yes, obviously under normal circumstances you only drive in the right lane of a 4 lane divided highway unless overtaking a slower vehicle. Those are basic road rules. Anticipating that there will be more slow traffic in the right lane ahead and getting over the left earlier so merging vehicles can get on to me is perfectly in accordance with the intent of the law here. Also, the speed limit still mostly applies to overtaking so if someone is lawfully occupying the left lane for passing purposes and you come up on them, they aren't being a hog you are speeding.

Last edited by zaphod; August 9th, 2011 at 05:43 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #7217
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Anyways here is a cool shot of I-35W in Minneapolis with the skyline in the background.
That is great shot, almost all freeways that approach downtown Minnie (execpt eastbound I-94) offer a some sort of good view of the urban core. IMHO
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #7218
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

A cople of WOW! interstate highway drives

Eastbound I-70 from Dillon, CO to Silver Plume, CO, though Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnel, including the highest point on the I-system - 3401 m (11158 ft) at the west portal.

Also

Westbound I-90 from the southeast end of Keechelus Lake to just southeast of Riverbend in Washington, across Snoqualmie Pass. Although not mentioned, the summit is at about 2:40 and works by WSDOT to upgrade more of the highway to six lanes are visible in the second minute or so. I am expecting these upgrades to ultimately continue on to I-82 at Ellensburg, WA. Note the viaduct on the westbound side of I-90 west of the pass.

Enjoy!

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #7219
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
You guys misunderstood me. Yes, obviously under normal circumstances you only drive in the right lane of a 4 lane divided highway unless overtaking a slower vehicle. Those are basic road rules. Anticipating that there will be more slow traffic in the right lane ahead and getting over the left earlier so merging vehicles can get on to me is perfectly in accordance with the intent of the law here. Also, the speed limit still mostly applies to overtaking so if someone is lawfully occupying the left lane for passing purposes and you come up on them, they aren't being a hog you are speeding.
I agree as long as you are actively overtaking another vehicle in the right lane. If you are cruising in the left lane at a speed generally faster than the vehicles in the right lane while there is still space for you yield to a car coming from behind you, then it is hogging the left lane to not yield to faster traffic under the guise of overtaking a line of ten vehicles in the right lane going a bit slower than you.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:21 AM   #7220
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Did they just install those windmills along I-65? I remember driving on that Interstate three/four years ago and I don't remember them being there?
You're right, the wind farm along I-65 in northwest Indiana was built in the last 2 years.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban