daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #7221
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

I made this road trip and I noticed that the interstates are in much worse condition than the state highways. The road from Ocean Shores to Kingston (before the ferry to Edmonds) was more than perfect. They were even repaving a really good section of the 101 highway with new asphalt which is completely unnecessary. There are a lot of other roads that need to be repaved but they don't even touch them. They repave nice roads instead Here are some photos from hwy 101. 99% of this highway looks like that. 109 and 104 were perfect too. It's really fun to drive on such surface. I can't understand why roads and highways in small towns are maintained really well but roads and highways in large cities are much worse. Traffic is not the only reason

Last edited by Botev1912; August 10th, 2011 at 09:35 AM.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #7222
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

image hosted on flickr

Bright Atlanta by Nrbelex, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Clogged Arteries by Nrbelex, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #7223
Buddy Holly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 120

A nice video of the Eisenhower Pass (I-70) in Colorado.

Buddy Holly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #7224
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

I posted that one on the previous page.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #7225
Buddy Holly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post

I posted that one on the previous page.

Mike
Ah, OK, sorry - didn't see it!
Buddy Holly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #7226
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It's nice to see that Merc Sprinter vans are getting becoming and more popular in the States...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #7227
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Sprinter

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #7228
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

101/I-280 interchange Bernal Heights San Francisco

image hosted on flickr

blue hour in da hood... by woodwork's, on Flickr
Old August 12th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #7229
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It's nice to see that Merc Sprinter vans are getting becoming and more popular in the States...
My uncle has one as an RV. He's generally pleased with the "van" part of it, designed by Mercedes (he pretty much ignores the Dodge badge on it) apart from two things: One, he only figured out how to turn on the air conditioner yesterday, and two, the radio always assumes that whoever tries to turn it on is actually trying to steal it, and so the anti-theft stuff always gets in the way of actually using it.

The "house" part of it, complete with kitchen and bathroom (in a Sprinter!) was made by Airstream, which is supposedly The Best (he likes that term), is actually very poorly made, stuff's breaking all the time, nothing ever works, etc.
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #7230
apinamies

Likes (Received): 722

What I find interesting is how near motorways reach downtowns in USA. In my country motorways integrate to streets several kilometers before downtown.
apinamies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:42 AM   #7231
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinamies View Post
What I find interesting is how near motorways reach downtowns in USA. In my country motorways integrate to streets several kilometers before downtown.
That's what I love about Interstate highways, they take you to the heart of the city. It seems though that sacrifices were probably made to make that happen like removing houses and other buildings.
FM 2258 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #7232
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I was about to say - warning, generalization coming - that at some point the public in many cities (at least in cities that still have in-town residential neighborhoods, often "gentrified" and lively) started rebelling against this sort of thing. Lots of urban highway projects have been stopped, and lots that were built probably couldn't be today.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:55 AM   #7233
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

The UK was planning loads of US style city centre motorways during the post war reconstruction but the public didn't let them, the only major cities where a little bit more than a fraction of it were done are Belfast and Glasgow. The rest was eventually stopped in Glasgow too, and they did about half in the Belfast Metro Area (they did the M1 and M2, but not the M3 to Bangor and the other one to Carrickfergus) and not so much in the rest of NI because NI was de-devolved in 1973, and it was the Northern Irish government creating the motorways there.

Imagine London with two more ring roads and the radial motorways getting into Central London!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #7234
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

The Fort Pitt Tunnel and Fort Pitt Bridge on I-376 heading into downtown Pittsburgh.

image hosted on flickr

Interstate 279 - Pennsylvania by dougtone

image hosted on flickr

Interstate 279 - Pennsylvania by dougtone

Once you leave the Fort Pitt Tunnel heading east into downtown you immediately find yourself on the bridge with a view of the skyline creating one of the most dynamic entrances into the city.

Last edited by diablo234; August 13th, 2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: wrote in the wrong interstate number by mistake
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 04:21 AM   #7235
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

That is pretty cool!

Quote:
They are the best vans to use for business.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #7236
schweitzerdude

Likes (Received): 0

Penn's Woods is absolutely correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I was about to say - warning, generalization coming - that at some point the public in many cities (at least in cities that still have in-town residential neighborhoods, often "gentrified" and lively) started rebelling against this sort of thing. Lots of urban highway projects have been stopped, and lots that were built probably couldn't be today.
You are absolutely right. Take Chicago for instance, when freeway building into the city began in the 50's and 60's, which was when inner city meant slums to be torn down, so might as well build a freeway through it. My brother made a killing in real estate in the 1980's and 1990's in Chicago buying residential buildings in crappy inner-city neighborhoods that went upscale - areas where you could never build a freeway now (and neighborhoods that I could not afford to live in).

Last edited by schweitzerdude; August 13th, 2011 at 06:09 AM.
schweitzerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #7237
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
The UK was planning loads of US style city centre motorways during the post war reconstruction but the public didn't let them, the only major cities where a little bit more than a fraction of it were done are Belfast and Glasgow. The rest was eventually stopped in Glasgow too, and they did about half in the Belfast Metro Area (they did the M1 and M2, but not the M3 to Bangor and the other one to Carrickfergus) and not so much in the rest of NI because NI was de-devolved in 1973, and it was the Northern Irish government creating the motorways there.

Imagine London with two more ring roads and the radial motorways getting into Central London!
Don't forget the Aston Express way from Spaghetti (M6, M42) straight into the city centre of Birmingham which has motorway status.

There were (or maybe still are) plans to build another outer M25 around London which would cover northern Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, northern Essex, Cambridgeshire, Kent between Maidstone and Ashford, Surrey and perhaps northern Hampshire, Berkshire and Buckingamshire. It would certainly relief the current "inner" M25, especially with foreign freight coming from Dover going to the rest of the country. And local police forces are sick to the teeth with foreign left-hand drive lorries side-swapping cars all the time. Especially the Germans and Poles have turned it into a hobby.
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #7238
sotonsi

Quote:
There were (or maybe still are) plans to build another outer M25 around London which would cover northern Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, northern Essex, Cambridgeshire, Kent between Maidstone and Ashford, Surrey and perhaps northern Hampshire, Berkshire and Buckingamshire.
No, there never was, other than by the ABD. There were schemes designed to parallel the M25 (both inside - A312) and outside (A404, A331, A120, A130) to relieve bits of it, but never a plan beyond that. The Oxford to East Coast Ports road (not planned for M25 relieve, but access to the South Midlands/Varsity Arc area) was the most extensive and, with the M31, the only one planned for long distance traffic.
Quote:
It would certainly relief the current "inner" M25, especially with foreign freight coming from Dover going to the rest of the country.
The M25 would get relieved, but even with 'POLO' (proposed outer London orbital) that actually touched on the Surrey/Kent section of M25, still not the foreign traffic from Dover much - only that going to the M4 and south. Maybe.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #7239
Road_UK
BANNED

I read about it in The Times, complete with a map on how it was going to look like. So someone with status beyond Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet) must have mentioned it somewhere. And with a bridge or tunnel somewhere between Maidstone and Ashford it would relief north bound traffic as well as it would connect the M11, A1 and M1 further north. It would congest the M1 a bit further though, as there is no immediate need to use the M40 for the North West.
Old August 13th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #7240
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Lots of urban highway projects have been stopped, and lots that were built probably couldn't be today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
The Fort Pitt Tunnel and Fort Pitt Bridge on I-379 heading into downtown Pittsburgh.

Once you leave the Fort Pitt Tunnel heading east into downtown you immediately find yourself on the bridge with a view of the skyline creating one of the most dynamic entrances into the city.

Furthering this discussion, the Ft. Pitt Tunnel and the interstates into the core of Pittsburgh are projects that would never have been considered in this day and age. If former I-279/now I-376 and I-279 were even considered now, let alone built, it likely would have gone around Mt. Washington and crossed the Ohio River downstream from downtown before resuming the current course. It also would not have connected with 376 (which also would mean 376 would still be a true spur).
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban