daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #7241
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Don't forget the Aston Express way from Spaghetti (M6, M42) straight into the city centre of Birmingham which has motorway status.
Oh yes, I haven't been up that way since I was seven or so, but I used to go through there to get to Holyhead and Dun Laoghaire or Dublin North Wall quite a lot, I remember the last trip very well, it took us a couple of hours to get through Birmingham
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #7242
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Furthering this discussion, the Ft. Pitt Tunnel and the interstates into the core of Pittsburgh are projects that would never have been considered in this day and age. If former I-279/now I-376 and I-279 were even considered now, let alone built, it likely would have gone around Mt. Washington and crossed the Ohio River downstream from downtown before resuming the current course. It also would not have connected with 376 (which also would mean 376 would still be a true spur).
Yup, alot of Interstates would not be built in this day and age just because of enviromental clearances, the amount of revitalized neighborhoods that are now in the path of the propesed freeway, etc. Even I-95 in Connecticut would not exist because it was originaly built on top of wetlands on the Long Island Sound and with dense neighborhoods surrounding the freeway, there is essentially no room for widening it despite carrying 130,000-200,000 VPD between the New York state line and New Haven.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #7243
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Yup, alot of Interstates would not be built in this day and age just because of enviromental clearances, the amount of revitalized neighborhoods that are now in the path of the propesed freeway, etc. Even I-95 in Connecticut would not exist because it was originaly built on top of wetlands on the Long Island Sound and with dense neighborhoods surrounding the freeway, there is essentially no room for widening it despite carrying 130,000-200,000 VPD between the New York state line and New Haven.
I think that we've come to the age of underground freeways since eminent domain has become so unpopular. It's probably for the best, but the gas tax needs to be done away with and replaced with toll roads since tunnels are way more expensive than surface roads.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #7244
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well, it's a fact the U.S. freeway fatality rate is far higher than in most of Europe, despite the speed limits being significantly lower. In 2003, 5.2 people were killed per 1 billion motorway (freeway) vehicle kilometers. For instance, this was 3.8 in Germany, 4.0 in France, 2.1 in the Netherlands and 2.0 in the United Kingdom.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_safety#KSI_by_country
Think that has to do with the crazy amount of signs on US freeways? Or maybe some other factor?

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #7245
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I made this road trip and I noticed that the interstates are in much worse condition than the state highways. The road from Ocean Shores to Kingston (before the ferry to Edmonds) was more than perfect. They were even repaving a really good section of the 101 highway with new asphalt which is completely unnecessary. There are a lot of other roads that need to be repaved but they don't even touch them. They repave nice roads instead Here are some photos from hwy 101. 99% of this highway looks like that. 109 and 104 were perfect too. It's really fun to drive on such surface. I can't understand why roads and highways in small towns are maintained really well but roads and highways in large cities are much worse. Traffic is not the only reason
LA is revitalizing a lot of its freeways right now with some thing I've never seen before. They patch up the really bad spots with cement and then kind of gloss over the whole freeway with this substance that seems to fade within a few months. It's nice when it's done but it doesn't seem very stable. They are also redoing the asphalt in the emergency lanes and on and off ramps. Anyone have any info on this road repair technique? Just another clue, the road gets very dusty the morning after this is applied.

Old August 14th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #7246
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
Think that has to do with the crazy amount of signs on US freeways? Or maybe some other factor?
Do we really have significantly more signage than other countries?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #7247
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I find that hard to imagine with the overflow of signs being displayed in the UK and Germany.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #7248
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Quote:
In Europe generally, getting a driver's license is much more difficult and expensive a process. So they graduate better drivers than the US, and drivers who cherish their privilege more. In the US, driving is seen much more as a 'right', (like procreation ) that anyone regardless of their skills and abilities, is entitled to.
Old August 14th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #7249
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
That's what I love about Interstate highways, they take you to the heart of the city. It seems though that sacrifices were probably made to make that happen like removing houses and other buildings.
Those things DID happen- there is nothing "probable" about it.

Interstates ruined cities- they destroyed urban fabric and minority neighborhoods. The least valuable and most run down parts of cities are located along freeways for good reason.
Old August 15th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #7250
Agurv

Likes (Received): 0

PA turnpike is the worst road in America. Some interstates in NY are bad but there is no comparison IMO.
Agurv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #7251
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Yesterday I and my wife and son drove to my daughter's place in Charlotte, NC, then moved my daughter's things to her new apartment in Greensboro. A few observations:

Appropos of the current conversation, downtown Greensboro is several miles from the surrounding freeways, but is linked to them with a network of excellent arterials, some of which could be called expressways, and most of which aren't numbered.

Advocates of lane discipline should avoid the 2x3 section of I-85 between Greensboro and Lexington. My daughter had to go back to work in Charlotte and was afraid we'd be late. Not to worry about speed: The middle lane was full of drivers travelling at 80 mph. The left lane was about 1/4 full of drivers travelling at 80.1 mph. The right lane was empty.

Me: "I think I'll try something bold and new by driving in the right lane."

Daughter: "Dad, DON'T! They don't do that here!"

Speeds are fast in North Carolina. Long ago NC was known for aggressive speed enforcement, but those days are long gone. 80 mph is commonplace on NC freeways.

The long-awaited Yadkin River reconstruction/relocation of I-85 seems rather anticlimactic. The new Yadkin River bridge will be simple spans, maybe steel, maybe AASHTO girders, and not much higher above the river than the current bridge. Given the years of delay, I'd envisioned something more impressive. Oh, well. :/

NC doesn't understand the concept of control cities. The correct control city for I-77 running southward from Charlotte is Columbia, but they also use Rock Hill (a sizeable town just over the SC border) and Pineville (the suburban town were I-485 and I-77 south cross), which confused the hell of of my directionally-challenged wife and son. The control city for I-77 northward from Charlotte is Statesville, which is where I-77 and I-40 cross, but the signs on I-485 toward Statesville use Huntersville instead, which is where I-485 meets I-77 on the north side of Charlotte. This is especially irritating since the temporary end of I-485 will be with us for years to come-- Huntersville is not a decision point.

If I were king of NC, the first damned thing I'd do is decree the posting of sensible control cities on all NC highways.

South Carolina is implementing the Clearview font. Clearview signage was implemented on Green 85 in Spartanburg a while back, but now it's appeared on about 70% of the signs on I-85 north of Spartanburg as well. I imagine that the full conversion will take a while since SC signage is in good shape overall, but the commitment has been made.

Last edited by Tom 958; August 15th, 2011 at 05:23 AM. Reason: typo
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 06:17 AM   #7252
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agurv View Post
PA turnpike is the worst road in America. Some interstates in NY are bad but there is no comparison IMO.
I drove through the middle portion of Pennsylvania turnpike last December (between Pittsburgh and Bedford) and was very surprised. It was very smooth and well maintained (with a new asphalt surface).

I drove through the Eastern portion of it back in 1999 and it was BAD back then. I guess there was some serious reconstruction done on some portions in the recent years.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #7253
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I actually like the Turnpike (for the scenery and so on, but the roadway itself is...how to put it...good enough that I've never noticed its condition); I just wish it weren't so damned expensive.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 15th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #7254
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
In Europe generally, getting a driver's license is much more difficult and expensive a process. So they graduate better drivers than the US, and drivers who cherish their privilege more. In the US, driving is seen much more as a 'right', (like procreation ) that anyone regardless of their skills and abilities, is entitled to.
On the other hand, I've read that until the '70s, Belgium was giving out driver's licenses with no qualifying process (driver education, test...) whatsoever. So watch out for late-middle-aged, or older, Belgians?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 15th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #7255
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

The worst interstate in the country is I-278 in NYC.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #7256
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
LA is revitalizing a lot of its freeways right now with some thing I've never seen before. They patch up the really bad spots with cement and then kind of gloss over the whole freeway with this substance that seems to fade within a few months. It's nice when it's done but it doesn't seem very stable. They are also redoing the asphalt in the emergency lanes and on and off ramps. Anyone have any info on this road repair technique? Just another clue, the road gets very dusty the morning after this is applied.
I haven't seen what they do in LA, but in Washington, we do something called concrete grinding.

After a while of use, concrete pavement starts to rut and the original tinning texture on the concrete wears out. The technique is to replace the worst panels and then grind away the top 5 to 10 mm of concrete to again create a smooth surface. The grinding of course creates a "glossy" looking surface for the first few days, and then disappears.

On another subject, I almost got in an accident today.

I overtook a tow truck on the left that was doing 50 in the middle lane (which is stupid), and the Mercedes van behind me overtook the tow truck on the right (which is idiotic). Then we both decided to move back into the middle lane afterwards at the same time (which was dangerous). At least the Mercedes van had side markers so I could see him, whereas most American and Japanese cars don't.

God I hate our driving culture.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #7257
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
I haven't seen what they do in LA, but in Washington, we do something called concrete grinding.

After a while of use, concrete pavement starts to rut and the original tinning texture on the concrete wears out. The technique is to replace the worst panels and then grind away the top 5 to 10 mm of concrete to again create a smooth surface. The grinding of course creates a "glossy" looking surface for the first few days, and then disappears.
I don't think so, because when they do this I see flat stones in the road as if they've poured new concrete. Though if they did just pave concrete on top of the old concrete I can't imagine they used a very thick layer.

Quote:
On another subject, I almost got in an accident today.

I overtook a tow truck on the left that was doing 50 in the middle lane (which is stupid), and the Mercedes van behind me overtook the tow truck on the right (which is idiotic). Then we both decided to move back into the middle lane afterwards at the same time (which was dangerous). At least the Mercedes van had side markers so I could see him, whereas most American and Japanese cars don't.

God I hate our driving culture.
At least the Mercedes used a blinker. I hate when I'm trying to move into a lane and then after I put on my blinker and start moving over somebody out of nowhere with no blinker decides to jump into that lane. There are way too many problems with that, probably the worst being the fact that they obviously didn't check their blind spot.

My biggest pet peeve has to be people tailgaiting me in the slow lane for going 60 mph. I do this at times to save gas, and some a-hole decides that I'm going too slow so I need to be taught a lesson rather than just passing me up on the left.

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #7258
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
The worst interstate in the country is I-278 in NYC.
You ought to see the road condition on the 10 in El Monte (outside of Los Angeles).

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=El+Mon...72266&t=k&z=20

And check out what is hopefully the worst off-ramp in the United States.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=El+Mon...72266&t=k&z=21

(Make sure to turn the 45 degree view on)

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #7259
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Those things DID happen- there is nothing "probable" about it.

Interstates ruined cities- they destroyed urban fabric and minority neighborhoods. The least valuable and most run down parts of cities are located along freeways for good reason.
Not interstates. Eminent domain ruined cities. Freeways and cities can coexist harmoniously. It's the practice of eminent domain that needs to die a quick, merciless death.

Old August 15th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #7260
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I just wish it weren't so damned expensive.
It's cheaper than any toll road in Europe... About 3 times cheaper than French toll roads. In France that trip would cost you almost $ 80 from NJ to OH... one way!
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban