daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #7261
Agurv

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilesy View Post
I drove through the middle portion of Pennsylvania turnpike last December (between Pittsburgh and Bedford) and was very surprised. It was very smooth and well maintained (with a new asphalt surface).

I drove through the Eastern portion of it back in 1999 and it was BAD back then. I guess there was some serious reconstruction done on some portions in the recent years.
They've done some work on it in the past years but I certainly wouldn't consider it anywhere near good. There are some parts of that road I start saying well **** I hope my tires don't go.

I've changed my mind on the worst road, now that I think of it. Not even sure if its an interstate to be honest

But its got to be that little stretch of highway going from I-95 to the Lincoln Tunnel.
That road has more pot holes then smooth surfaces. I think the problem is, if they ever decided to somehow close a lane for construction it would create TERRIBLE traffic. I mean its bad as it is there now. The lanes are really narrow

But yeah I-278 is pretty bad.
Agurv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #7262
Agurv

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
The Fort Pitt Tunnel and Fort Pitt Bridge on I-376 heading into downtown Pittsburgh.

image hosted on flickr

Interstate 279 - Pennsylvania by dougtone

image hosted on flickr

Interstate 279 - Pennsylvania by dougtone

Once you leave the Fort Pitt Tunnel heading east into downtown you immediately find yourself on the bridge with a view of the skyline creating one of the most dynamic entrances into the city.

Used to drive this everyday from Carnegie going home. Something that bothers me about Pittsburgh is that people automatically slam on the brakes before they go into a tunnel
Old August 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #7263
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's cheaper than any toll road in Europe... About 3 times cheaper than French toll roads. In France that trip would cost you almost $ 80 from NJ to OH... one way!
I'm well aware of that.

I have E-ZPass, which automatically extracts $35 from my bank account when my balance dips below $10. So cheaper tolls - a dollar or two to cross a bridge - I don't even feel, but if I drive far enough on the Turnpike the chances of dipping below $10 and thus paying $35 are pretty high.

But driving through the mountains and all those tunnels can be spectacular, and between the service areas (new and clean, mostly, and some of them quite large) on the road itself (which free Interstates don't have) and the long distances between exits (judging from a thread on the AARoads forum, the 36 miles between Bedford and Somerset is one mile short of the maximum for the whole country), I actually often think "the best roads in Europe must be like this."

I've honestly never noticed the condition of the road - maybe it's worse around Pittsburgh.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #7264
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
I haven't seen what they do in LA, but in Washington, we do something called concrete grinding.

After a while of use, concrete pavement starts to rut and the original tinning texture on the concrete wears out. The technique is to replace the worst panels and then grind away the top 5 to 10 mm of concrete to again create a smooth surface. The grinding of course creates a "glossy" looking surface for the first few days, and then disappears.

On another subject, I almost got in an accident today.

I overtook a tow truck on the left that was doing 50 in the middle lane (which is stupid), and the Mercedes van behind me overtook the tow truck on the right (which is idiotic). Then we both decided to move back into the middle lane afterwards at the same time (which was dangerous). At least the Mercedes van had side markers so I could see him, whereas most American and Japanese cars don't.

God I hate our driving culture.
Given that you can legally overtake from both sides, he was driving on the right side of the law! This is also a common situation to find yourself in, esp. on 4 lanes or more highways. One should always look out for it when there's a really slow vehicle in the middle and everyone's trying to overtake it. It's always a good idea to look out for other vehicles that are overtaking at the same time and anticipate what they'll do.
Old August 15th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #7265
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Given that you can legally overtake from both sides, he was driving on the right side of the law! This is also a common situation to find yourself in, esp. on 4 lanes or more highways. One should always look out for it when there's a really slow vehicle in the middle and everyone's trying to overtake it. It's always a good idea to look out for other vehicles that are overtaking at the same time and anticipate what they'll do.
You can?
Lots of people do, but that doesn't make it legal (in most places), and this situation is precisely why you shouldn't. It's also not legal (in most places) for "really slow vehicles" to be in the middle, and this is precisely why.

Digest of state "keep right" laws:
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; August 15th, 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #7266
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Well, this problem can happen in countries with lane discipline as well. For instance if you're on a 3-lane freeway (one way), and you're in the #1 lane, passing someone in the #2 lane and get back into the #2 lane while someone on the #3 lane decides to pass someone at the same time, you can still collide with each other.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #7267
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Great photo:
image hosted on flickr

the 405 at Sunset Blvd by gsgeorge, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #7268
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11815

There was a documentation yesterday on TV about a project to connect Russia with Alaska over the Bering strait with a 90 km bridge.

Will it ever be realized? What do you think about this project? Sounded pretty much impossible for me to build a bridge like this. Anyway it would be amazing to go by car (or train) from Europe to North America (and even South America)...
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #7269
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
I haven't seen what they do in LA, but in Washington, we do something called concrete grinding.

After a while of use, concrete pavement starts to rut and the original tinning texture on the concrete wears out. The technique is to replace the worst panels and then grind away the top 5 to 10 mm of concrete to again create a smooth surface. The grinding of course creates a "glossy" looking surface for the first few days, and then disappears.
Not in states that prohibit the use of tires with tungsten-carbide studs. Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin all prohibit them and as a result, freeway concrete around here that is over 20 years old still 'sings' like it was new.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #7270
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
Not interstates. Eminent domain ruined cities. Freeways and cities can coexist harmoniously. It's the practice of eminent domain that needs to die a quick, merciless death.
The powers of eminent domain is very necessary for modern life to exist. Think, if there was no eminent domain power for the highway department (or whatever other infrastructure agency, public or private), the owner of ONE HOUSE can prevent a badly needed infrastructure improvement project of whatever kind (highway, railroad, sewer main, airport, seaport, high-energy power line, etc) from being built and multiply that by however many are out there and commerce - and thus life - would quickly grind to a halt. The Fifth Amendment clearly allows for it with "just compensation".

Yes, eminent domain powers have been abused, but they are still very necessary.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #7271
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
On the other hand, I've read that until the '70s, Belgium was giving out driver's licenses with no qualifying process (driver education, test...) whatsoever. So watch out for late-middle-aged, or older, Belgians?
Indeed.

And watch out because any sudden moves and there could be Moules Frites all over the road!
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #7272
themoreurban

Likes (Received): 1

I wish some of our highways were like the ones in Tokyo.
themoreurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #7273
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
The powers of eminent domain is very necessary for modern life to exist. Think, if there was no eminent domain power for the highway department (or whatever other infrastructure agency, public or private), the owner of ONE HOUSE can prevent a badly needed infrastructure improvement project of whatever kind (highway, railroad, sewer main, airport, seaport, high-energy power line, etc) from being built and multiply that by however many are out there and commerce - and thus life - would quickly grind to a halt. The Fifth Amendment clearly allows for it with "just compensation".

Yes, eminent domain powers have been abused, but they are still very necessary.

Mike
There are ways to get around such scenarios, such as offering more (the obvious choice), choosing a different path, or going below ground. With the latter two, the property owner loses out on the possibility to make some good money, so I really don't think it's as much of a problem as you're making it out to be.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #7274
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agurv View Post
Used to drive this everyday from Carnegie going home. Something that bothers me about Pittsburgh is that people automatically slam on the brakes before they go into a tunnel
People do that when going from Hampton to Norfolk, VA (or vice versa) also. We recognize them as out-of-towners.
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #7275
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

In Portugal tunnels often have lower, and even more ignored speed-limits. On a motorway the speed limit is 120km/h, in tunnels normally 100 or 80 and cars go through them and the rest of the motorway at 140-150 average. Then again, they can't be fined outside the tunnel until they're going at 140 and the police don't really care
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 02:11 AM   #7276
Trilesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
There was a documentation yesterday on TV about a project to connect Russia with Alaska over the Bering strait with a 90 km bridge.

Will it ever be realized? What do you think about this project? Sounded pretty much impossible for me to build a bridge like this. Anyway it would be amazing to go by car (or train) from Europe to North America (and even South America)...
That's a great idea in general, but it's not gonna happen anytime soon. This area is so far north (with very harsh winters) and there is barely any road infrastructure there (especially on the Russian side). Most people up there get around by boat or air. Even if you build a bridge you would need to build thousands of miles of roads to connect it to main towns on both continents.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #7277
Agurv

If you've ever driven on the Pittsburgh interstates you should know an oncoming ramp into traffic is non existent in most places.
Old August 16th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #7278
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agurv View Post
PA turnpike is the worst road in America. Some interstates in NY are bad but there is no comparison IMO.
Hardly. The worst road I've ever ridden on was some Interstate down near Newport News, VA, back around 2000. [/snark]

I think part of it is that MD Interstates are so good (read: overbuilt) that they make the perfectly adequate PA roads look bad by comparison.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #7279
Trilesy

Now that we started talking about worst roads we've ever driven, I would say that eastern part of Columbus bypass ring is the worst I've driven so far (I drove through there in Dec 2010). It had hundreds of "killer" potholes and was the first time I got seriously worried about keeping my car in one peace.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #7280
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

Downtown Detroit to the Ohio state line

urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban