daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #7301
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

I-287 goes through some beautiful areas in Northern NJ. I was surprised when I was younger driving on it and seeing the hills and mountains that close to a huge metro like New York.

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #7302
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Video of I-24 on Monteagle Mountain in Tennessee. The 4–6% grade of this section of the highway is protracted over a distance of several miles.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #7303
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Video of I-24 on Monteagle Mountain in Tennessee. The 4–6% grade of this section of the highway is protracted over a distance of several miles.
Great video! Perfect music for road trip in America.
I can't wait for my next visit in USA. It's in just a bit over 4 weeks
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #7304
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Great video! Perfect music for road trip in America.
I can't wait for my next visit in USA. It's in just a bit over 4 weeks
Where will you all be going this time?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #7305
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Here's a roadtrip of mine to Leavenworth, WA. Photo credits to my girlfriend.

Washington State: I-90 Eastbound between milepost 20 and 195.

Sidenote: On the way there, I did not have to pass a single person on the right. Everyone kept out of the passing lane, but mainly stuck in the middle lane. The right lane had virtually no traffic.
Very nice report! I love the scenery in the state of Washington. Driving there must be very exciting, unlike "flat and boring" Ohio. I want to go there sometime.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #7306
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Washington state is gorgeous. And most of the highways are in very good condition
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #7307
Agurv

What are the drives like out west? I've heard I can go 100 on the interstates in certain places of Arizona and not even worry about police
Agurv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #7308
Squiggles

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilesy View Post
Very nice report! I love the scenery in the state of Washington. Driving there must be very exciting, unlike "flat and boring" Ohio. I want to go there sometime.
I happen to love driving through Ohio. Yes, much of it is corn and soybean fields, but the scenery is nonetheless beautiful. It's similar to Wisconsin, of course, but I seem to like it more for some reason.
Squiggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #7309
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agurv View Post
What are the drives like out west? I've heard I can go 100 on the interstates in certain places of Arizona and not even worry about police
There are still police that patrol even the most desolate stretch or Interstates so that statement is not entirely accurate although it is possible I guess on the secondary routes. Plus in states such as Wyoming, Kansas, Colorado, etc ground blizzards in the winter can be a problem and unlike the Eastern US services can be hard to come by in some areas.

This video footage was taken along I-80 in Wyoming. Believe it or not the weather conditions could be alot worse.
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #7310
Agurv

well I'll be driving across the country with a couple of buddies next summer, so I dont see snow being much of a problem.

We are driving basically from PA - SD - MT - CA - AZ - NV - CO - MO - PA

Thats basically the summary of it. If you can imagine the routes wed be taking where should we expect the most police presence. I know Ohio sucks in my own personal experiences. But I've never driven farther west then Chicago so not sure what to expect
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #7311
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
well I'll be driving across the country with a couple of buddies next summer, so I dont see snow being much of a problem.

We are driving basically from PA - SD - MT - CA - AZ - NV - CO - MO - PA

Thats basically the summary of it. If you can imagine the routes wed be taking where should we expect the most police presence. I know Ohio sucks in my own personal experiences. But I've never driven farther west then Chicago so not sure what to expect
Colorado has the dubious distinction of being the "speeding ticket" capital of the west and Phoenix has several speed cameras along it's freeways.

I am not really familiar with the other states to comment on them.
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #7312
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Where will you all be going this time?

Mike
This time trip around the great lakes. I'm flying to Chicago but then I'' spend most time in the woods of Wisconsin and upper Michigan. I'll probably pop in to Indiana, at least for few hours, to add another state to my list

Quote:
As someone mentioned above the interstates are patrolled quite regularly. If I want to drive fast I choose some empty state highways. Like North Dakota Hwy 200 or Nebraska Hwy 2. On Colorado Hwy 10 I tested my rental car for max speed once.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #7313
Agurv

Quote:

As someone mentioned above the interstates are patrolled quite regularly. If I want to drive fast I choose some empty state highways. Like North Dakota Hwy 200 or Nebraska Hwy 2. On Colorado Hwy 10 I tested my rental car for max speed once.
howd that go
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #7314
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
This time trip around the great lakes. I'm flying to Chicago but then I'' spend most time in the woods of Wisconsin and upper Michigan. I'll probably pop in to Indiana, at least for few hours, to add another state to my list
KEWL! Give me a little 'heads up' and I might be able to show you around for a bit! Appleton is along US 41 about 160 km north of Milwaukee, right in the middle of where you are going. Wisconsin is amazingly scenic and has many SWEET roads for driving. You'll love it.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #7315
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Washington state is gorgeous. And most of the highways are in very good condition
Speaking of highway conditions, I have an answer for you regarding the removal of the asphalt pavement on southbound I-5 in Lynnwood.

A few years ago in that area, open-graded porous asphalt was installed as a test section for "quieter pavement" evaluation. It didn't perform well because of studded tire use.

The pavement was removed after the two-year test.

I think they might be repaving that section with regular HMA as part of the Lynnwood interchange projects.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #7316
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Who repaves the interstates? The state or the cities? Because I-5 in King County/Seattle is terrible (very old) and I-5 in Snohomish County is almost perfect. A couple days ago they repaved one section of I-5 Southbound in Everett which in my opinion was in much better condition than I-5 in King County/Seattle. They repave sections of I-5 in Snohomish County every couple of years but they don't do anything to the King County part.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #7317
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Who repaves the interstates? The state or the cities? Because I-5 in King County/Seattle is terrible (very old) and I-5 in Snohomish County is almost perfect. A couple days ago they repaved one section of I-5 Southbound in Everett which in my opinion was in much better condition than I-5 in King County/Seattle. They repave sections of I-5 in Snohomish County every couple of years but they don't do anything to the King County part.
The State DOT is usually in charge of maintaining the interstates.
Old August 20th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #7318
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
State DOT is in charge. Concrete is much harder to repave than asphalt. Coincidentally, most of I-5 in King County is concrete.

There has been concrete rehab projects here and there, but those are short-term solutions until the entire highway is reconstructed. WSDOT says that will happen after 2017.

Rebuilding I-5 from Ship Canal through downtown alone would cost almost $8 billion dollars from what I hear.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #7319
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Usually they have road districts, coinciding with county borders. This could also explain why some sections are repaved and others aren't.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #7320
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban