daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #7321
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
KEWL! Give me a little 'heads up' and I might be able to show you around for a bit! Appleton is along US 41 about 160 km north of Milwaukee, right in the middle of where you are going. Wisconsin is amazingly scenic and has many SWEET roads for driving. You'll love it.

Mike
I'm leaving Chicago on Monday morning 19th of September. My plan is to go to Milwaukee, visit the Harley Davidson museum, then in the evening drive to Green Bay to see the packers stadium. In the next days I'm planning to head more or less straight north through Iron Mountain, L'Ansee all the way to Keweenaw Peninsula.
I guess I could go from Milwaukee to Green Bay via US41 rather than I-43
According to Google it's only 20min extra
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #7322
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I guess I could go from Milwaukee to Green Bay via US41 rather than I-43
According to Google it's only 20min extra
If I were going that way, I'd definitely take US 41. A motorway that was largely upgraded to motorway status from a lesser road would surely be more interesting than one that was built as a motorway.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #7323
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

NJ 4 Eastbound

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2865 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2866 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2867 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Interstate 95 Northbound

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2869 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2870 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2871 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2872 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2874 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2875 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2876 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2877 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2880 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2881 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2884 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #7324
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
If I were going that way, I'd definitely take US 41. A motorway that was largely upgraded to motorway status from a lesser road would surely be more interesting than one that was built as a motorway.
Us 41 is also construction-geek heaven right now as WisDOT is busy upgrading it to six lanes in the Oshkosh to Neenah area and through the Green Bay area. For some current images of the work on the Oshkosh-Neenah section, you can check the cameras at: http://www.511wi.gov/Web/Cameras.asp...lter=Winnebago Traffic moves fine through those zones, though. If you have a chance, there is an interesting aviation museum along US 41 in Oshkosh, run by the Experimental Aircraft Association ( http://www.eaa.org ) that is well worth checking out.

BTW, that section of US 41 (Milwaukee-Green Bay) is scheduled for 'promotion' to full interstate status within the next few years and its number is expected to be decreed by AASHTO this fall.

The Packers are scheduled to play at the Carolina Panthers (Charlotte, NC) on Sunday, 18-SEP, so you should not find any problems with rooms and so forth in the Appleton or Green Bay areas that evening and the stadium tour, et al, is FANTASTIC! Lambeau Field is located right off of US 41 on Lombardi Ave on Green Bay's southwest side and you can see it from northbound US 41 as you are coming into town. My family will be spending its 50th season in our two front-row seats in the south end zone this year, too (a friend and I will be in them for the season opener vs. the New Orleans Saints on 8-SEP).

The visiting NFL teams normally stay at a hotel that is just a few blocks from where I currently reside here in the downtown Appleton area.

Late September/early October is the peak of the fall-color season in the Wisconsin and Michigan northwoods. The already amazing scenery in that area takes on a totally magical quality during that time.

Also, the Harley-Davidson museum is located on 6th St immediately south of the recently renovated downtown Milwaukee Amtrak station (called the 'intermodal station') and very nearly under the shadows of the ramps of the recently-rebuilt and totally AWESOME Marquette interchange.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=43.033608...h&z=16&vpsrc=6

Did you get my PM?

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; August 27th, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #7325
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #7326
Tom 958

Why did I just watch a video of my commute to work?

This video is very recent. Until a few weeks ago, both lanes of 400 southbound had to merge into I-85. Now the right (fourth) lane of I-85 ends just before the entrance from 400, so 400 gets one lane of its own. The same thing was done at the northbound merge of I-85 and I-75 on the southside-- I'm not sure when because that merge used to be so bad that I always bypassed it on the CD. Now the merge there is free of operational issues, but traffic slows there anyway. Force of habit, maybe?

The note just after the 400 merge onto I-85 near the beginning about I-85 there once having a grassed median-- it's not true. That was the case north of 400, but the section where the note appears was opened in 1984 and is in its original condition except striped for more lanes. Old 85 runs parallel and adjacent to the east; except for signage and guardrail updates, is also in its original early '50's 2x2 condition. It's used as a CD road, more or less.
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #7327
wkiehl101

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
That was nice! I especially like the choice of music; it makes a good freeway song.
Old August 31st, 2011, 11:35 PM   #7328
Cosmoboy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Why did I just watch a video of my commute to work?

This video is very recent. Until a few weeks ago, both lanes of 400 southbound had to merge into I-85. Now the right (fourth) lane of I-85 ends just before the entrance from 400, so 400 gets one lane of its own. The same thing was done at the northbound merge of I-85 and I-75 on the southside-- I'm not sure when because that merge used to be so bad that I always bypassed it on the CD. Now the merge there is free of operational issues, but traffic slows there anyway. Force of habit, maybe?

The note just after the 400 merge onto I-85 near the beginning about I-85 there once having a grassed median-- it's not true. That was the case north of 400, but the section where the note appears was opened in 1984 and is in its original condition except striped for more lanes. Old 85 runs parallel and adjacent to the east; except for signage and guardrail updates, is also in its original early '50's 2x2 condition. It's used as a CD road, more or less.
Hi, I'm the person who shot and edited this video. You are right that that particular section of 85 did not have a grassy median. The found the photo photo in the upper left hand corner online and wanted to display it in this video to show viewers what 85 used to look like before all of the widening that took place in the '80's. I should have probably worded it better in the info. bar, but I thought it was somewhat true since that factoid appeared right at the 85/400 interchange and that's pretty much where old 85 met the grassy median.
Cosmoboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 03:10 AM   #7329
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmoboy View Post
Hi, I'm the person who shot and edited this video. You are right that that particular section of 85 did not have a grassy median. The found the photo photo in the upper left hand corner online and wanted to display it in this video to show viewers what 85 used to look like before all of the widening that took place in the '80's. I should have probably worded it better in the info. bar, but I thought it was somewhat true since that factoid appeared right at the 85/400 interchange and that's pretty much where old 85 met the grassy median.
Great job on the video by the way.
Old September 1st, 2011, 04:41 AM   #7330
Tom 958

Quote:
Great job on the video by the way.
Indeed! I watched all of it even though I drive that way almost every day. Good choice of music, too!

Searching my memory (I've lived in Atlanta for over 50 years): I think that the narrow median was a feature of the original expressways built by the City of Atlanta, and as I recall the grassed median began pretty much at the city limit, just north of Lenox/Cheshire Bridge. These expressways were open to traffic when my Dad first came to Atlanta in 1952. From there to I-285, I had the impression that I-85 was pre-Interstate in design, and possibly built in increments.

One other item of minor interest: For a few days recently I commuted via I-85 to the Cleveland Avenue exit, and I used the CD road for Langford Parkway to get to I-85 to avoid having to change lanes to get to the Cleveland Avenue exit. But: I noticed that nearly as many motorists use the CD road to get to 85 as use the 85 ramp, and most of them aren't getting off at Metropolitan or Cleveland.
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:06 AM   #7331
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

I went down Atlanta's highways at night when I was there for a little time earlier this month.

Drove down I-20, it's very forested outside the core.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:41 AM   #7332
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
I went down Atlanta's highways at night when I was there for a little time earlier this month.

Drove down I-20, it's very forested outside the core.
I've heard the Atlanta is the greenest major city in America.
Old September 1st, 2011, 06:58 AM   #7333
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

New section of interstate to be designated

On 2011-08-25, USA Federal Highway Administration Administrator Victor Mendez signed off on the designation of the Wendall H. Ford/Western Kentucky Parkway from the Edward T. Breathitt Pennyrile Parkway Parkway at Nortonville, KY to I-24 at Eddyville, KY as I-69, with the I-69 designation to then continue westward as a duplex with I-24 to the Julian Carroll/Purchase Parkway at Calvert City, KY, with the snazzy signs to be posted once a few minor upgrade details to the Western Kentucky Parkway are addressed later on this fall.

No word on what, if any, upgrades are planned for the major interchanges at either end of this new section (Western Kentucky/Pennyrile Parkways and I-24/Purchase Parkway) as later on, as more sections of the route are completed, I-69 will make turns at both locations, with each turn including a tight cloverleaf loop as part of 'mainline' I-69.

http://www.isurfwebster.com/news/new...-official.html

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:06 AM   #7334
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
I've heard the Atlanta is the greenest major city in America.
While Atlanta is very "green" compared with other cities in the US, honestly it is no different then other cities in the Southeastern US. Other cities such as Charlotte, Birmingham, Orlando, Jacksonville, and Raleigh have extensive tree cover as well.
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:07 AM   #7335
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Old September 1st, 2011, 11:03 AM   #7336
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
While Atlanta is very "green" compared with other cities in the US, honestly it is no different then other cities in the Southeastern US. Other cities such as Charlotte, Birmingham, Orlando, Jacksonville, and Raleigh have extensive tree cover as well.
While that is true, the density of Atlanta is even lower, with numerous swaths of undeveloped lands which are mostly forested.

It's hard to spot anything outside downtown Atlanta from a higher altitude satellite photo.

This is all urbanized:
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:51 PM   #7337
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
While that is true, the density of Atlanta is even lower, with numerous swaths of undeveloped lands which are mostly forested.

It's hard to spot anything outside downtown Atlanta from a higher altitude satellite photo.

This is all urbanized:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...wn2Buckead.jpg
Those other cities I mentioned are the same way.

image hosted on flickr

Charlotte Aerial Photography by Willamor Media, on Flickr

Again in Charlotte, just like Atlanta those forested areas contain and conceal a large amount of low density housing and undeveloped areas. Those areas in the background are all urbanized. Other cities in the Southeastern US such as Raleigh, Orlando, Jacksonville, and Birmingham all share this similarity.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; September 2nd, 2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 11:05 PM   #7338
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Video of I-40 from Mile 25 in North Carolina to Mile 446 in Tennessee through the Pigeon River Gorge.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:35 PM   #7339
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
On 2011-08-25, USA Federal Highway Administration Administrator Victor Mendez signed off on the designation of the Wendall H. Ford/Western Kentucky Parkway from the Edward T. Breathitt Pennyrile Parkway Parkway at Nortonville, KY to I-24 at Eddyville, KY as I-69, with the I-69 designation to then continue westward as a duplex with I-24 to the Julian Carroll/Purchase Parkway at Calvert City, KY, with the snazzy signs to be posted once a few minor upgrade details to the Western Kentucky Parkway are addressed later on this fall.

No word on what, if any, upgrades are planned for the major interchanges at either end of this new section (Western Kentucky/Pennyrile Parkways and I-24/Purchase Parkway) as later on, as more sections of the route are completed, I-69 will make turns at both locations, with each turn including a tight cloverleaf loop as part of 'mainline' I-69.

http://www.isurfwebster.com/news/new...-official.html

Mike

Meanwhile, Indiana is spending $600 million to construct 60 miles of new terrain I-69 from Evansville to Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:41 PM   #7340
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

HeraldTimesOnline.com
Interstate taking shape in Greene, Daviess counties
By Laura Lane 331-4362 | [email protected]
September 1, 2011

County Road 100 West in Greene County is gravel as it passes Mt. Nebo Mennonite Church, crosses into Daviess County and turns into County Road 1200 North.

But look to the east, and a just-built interstate overpass rises from what once was a farm field.

Stand on that concrete overpass and look north or south, and the lanes for I-69 have been cleared, as far as the eye can see, except for a strip of grass down the middle. It soon will be a 60-foot-wide median between fast-moving traffic headed in opposite directions.

At the juncture of U.S. 231 and Ind. 58, not far from the town of Scotland, trucks haul out 30,000 cubic yards of dirt every day as workers construct what is called a “tight diamond” of ramps that will lead to and from I-69.

The project employs several engineers who are responsible for earth moving — literally. As the interstate route is leveled and embankments built up, hills are cut down, and the dirt from that process is used to fill in low-lying areas.

But when there is a dirt shortage, workers use what is called a “borrow site.” For example, land adjacent to the Little Sandy strip mine near Washington is a borrow site; there is not enough soil to construct embankments for the U.S. 50 interchange, so the state bought dirt from a landowner, who retained title to the property.

Near Greene County Road 75, in the southern part of Taylor Township, crews encountered solid rock as they inched the highway along. So every day for three weeks, at precisely 2 p.m., they would set off a five-second explosive blast that shook the earth and busted up the rock so work could proceed.

Headed south toward Odon, on the west side of Ind. 58, sits a giant pile-driving hammer and a five-story-tall crane. Workers weld together seven-foot sections of 12-inch steel piling that are being driven 131 feet into the ground with 76,000 pounds of force from a hydraulic hammer.

Before long, the beams will support bridges over I-69.

Along I-69’s construction route in Greene and Daviess counties, houses sit empty. Their owners, forced to sell their homes and property for progress, have moved on. Many county roads in Daviess County, every other one, will be cut off because of the interstate. “They will be cul-de-sacked,” said Chriss Jobe, a construction engineer for the I-69 project. That’s highway construction jargon for “dead-ended.”

Every day of the week but Sunday, 100 mostly local workers, and sometimes more — from truck drivers to skilled craftsmen — are working on the I-69 extension now under way in Greene and Daviess counties. Last week, they added a night shift at the US.231/Ind. 58 interchange after falling behind during a wet spring.

When it comes time to pave the highway, different road surfaces will be used in different sections. The state’s Mechanical Empirical Pavement Design Guide gives contractors leeway in deciding whether to use concrete or asphalt as long as they use a mix tested and approved by the state.

Despite signs along rural two-lane Ind. 58 in Greene County encouraging people to help “Stop I-69,” motorists there may well be taking advantage of its smooth driving lanes and fast speed limits come the fall of 2012. The interstate is well under construction; stopping it now could be an insurmountable feat.

“There are a lot of people in Section 4 (in Monroe County) who said they would never see the highway built in their lifetime, but that their grandchildren might drive on it,” said Sam Sarvis, the Indiana Department of Transportation deputy commissioner overseeing the construction of I-69 from Indianapolis to Evansville. “Well, it’s here.”

Copyright: HeraldTimesOnline.com 2011

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban