daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #7361
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
Grooved concrete no less! Not only is that surface a dream to drive on, its practically invincible.
How long before studded tires wear the grooving away to nothing?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #7362
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

No sign that Bloomigton will relent on building I-69

Quote:
Portions of Interstate 69 ready for traffic by end of 2012

Interstate 69 from Evansville to Crane is on time and under budget, say Indiana Department of Transportation officials who hope to soon say the same about the stretch from there to Bloomington, Ind.

With a decision from the Federal Highway Administration expected Friday, contractors may proceed with construction on the Crane to Bloomington corridor, known as Section 4, said Cher Elliott, spokeswoman for INDOT's Vincennes District.

The highway I-69 route roughly parallels Indiana 57 northeast from I-64 to U.S. 50 at Washington, where it bypasses the town to the east and extends north to U.S. 231 and Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center and then to Bloomington, Ind.
However, progress on the segment nearest Bloomington remains on hold pending the resolution of a dispute with the Bloomington/Monroe County Metropolitan Planning Organization. The group is responsible, by federal law, for coordinating transportation projects in its area. However, it did not include the I-69 extension in an updated local transportation plan approved in May.

In order to receive federal funds, all road-building projects must be included in the transportation plans of any such organization through which the roads would pass, in addition to regional and state plans.

Indiana Transportation Commissioner Michael Cline has said he will not give the plan the state approval it needs to make it official
http://www.courierpress.com/news/201..._interstate69/

urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #7363
hoosier

Likes (Received): 60

The Federal Highway Administration approved Section 4 of Interstate 69- the portion from Crane NSWC to SW Bloomington.

INDOT wants to have I-69 completed from Evansville to Bloomington by 2014. We'll see if that happens.
Old September 10th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #7364
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I may have asked this question before and forgotten the answer, but do we know yet how they're going to number it through Indianapolis? Do we end up with a 69/74/465 multiplex, or will they "hide" it like the US routes that follow 465?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #7365
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Alaska got some nice roads.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #7366
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I may have asked this question before and forgotten the answer, but do we know yet how they're going to number it through Indianapolis? Do we end up with a 69/74/465 multiplex, or will they "hide" it like the US routes that follow 465?
My best guess is that until such time as a direct routing through town can be developed, it will follow the eastern part of the I-465 loop.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #7367
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Is there any realistic chance of a routing through the city? First I've heard of one, although I don't pay a lot of attention to "future" Interstates, figuring most of them will never see the light of day....

My point was, really, whether we expect it to be posted around 465 rather than disappearing on one side of the city and reappearing on the other.

Of course, if that routing through the city happens, we could end up with a 65/69/70 multiplex!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #7368
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

What does multiplex highway mean?
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #7369
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

When two or more routes share the same road. That is a multiplex, like the long I-80/I-90 through Indiana.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #7370
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Also: double numbering or concurrency.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #7371
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

This after President Obama mentioned a bridge over the Ohio between Ohio and Kentucky in his speech to Congress and the nation only last Thursday night. He issued a call for a fairly large jobs/infrastructure bill, which the Republican-dominated House will surely reject.

Sherman Minton Bridge closed indefinitely due to structural cracks

Quote:
The Sherman Minton Bridge was closed late Friday afternoon and will remain shut down indefinitely after officials discovered cracks in the span.

Will Wingfield, a spokesman for the Indiana Department of Transportation, said officials "do not have an estimate" on how long it will take to repair and reopen the bridge, which carries Interstate 64 traffic across the Ohio River.

Wingfield said the cracks were found in two steel support beams below the lower deck closer to the Kentucky side.

The bridge, which links New Albany with Louisville, is maintained by Indiana, and it was closed by order of Gov. Mitch Daniels.

In New Albany, chaos ignited shortly after police shut down the approaches to the bridge after rush hour. Traffic was so snarled that police were dispatched to several intersections to keep order.

"I hope that this is a wake-up call on cross-river mobility," said Kerry Stemler, co-chairman of the Ohio River Bridges Authority. He was attending a fundraiser at the Carnegie Center for Art & History in downtown New Albany. "This shows how important these bridges are to the community and the region."

The closing leaves motorists in Kentucky and Indiana looking for alternate routes across the river. Late Friday, transportation officials were encouraging motorists to use Interstate 65, the Kennedy and Second Street bridges and Interstate 265 while an official plan is devised over the weekend.

Wingfield said officials plan to take their time in determining what needs to be done.

"Anytime you make a repair to a bridge, you need to understand what impacts that has on the larger structure, you don't want to make a repair in one regard and make additional complications in another," he said. Louisville metro government and Indiana transportation officials are to work through the weekend to devise a plan "to ensure the smooth flow of traffic in the days and weeks ahead," Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said in a statement.

"We will be working around the clock to be prepared for rush hour on Monday morning," he said. "The public's safety is the most important concern and, with the information we now have, closing the bridge is the right decision until we can further assess the situation."

Last edited by Tom 958; September 11th, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #7372
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

I-90/94 Chicago

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

nick.english.dept liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #7373
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

I-287 North

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3251 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3252 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3253 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3254 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3255 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3256 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #7374
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2775

Public comment sought on Northern Beltline in 2 hearingsPublished: Wednesday, August 31, 2011, 9:00 AM
By Thomas Spencer -- The Birmingham News

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- The proposed Northern Beltline will be the subject of two public hearings hosted by the Alabama Department of Transportation in late September.

Supporters and opponents of the 52-mile interstate connector are gearing up for the meetings, one at the Gardendale Civic Center on Sept. 27 and one at the Bessemer Civic Center on Sept. 29. Both hearings will be held between 4 and 8 p.m.

ALDOT officials said they will have maps and information about the project available and will host a forum for residents to comment on the costs and benefits of the project.

ALDOT spokesman Tony Harris said he expected discussion of the scope and need for the project, alternative routes and potential impacts.

"You go through the process to hopefully arrive at the best route to build," Harris said.

The Northern Beltline as proposed would arc north of downtown Birmingham, running from Interstate 59 in Argo, to I-65 near Gardendale, Corridor X near Graysville, and finally tying into the intersection of I-459, and Interstates 59/20 near Bessemer.

Estimates by the Federal Highway Administration put the price of the project at $4.7 billion to be spent over 25 years, with the federal government expected to provide 80 percent of the cost and the state 20 percent.

Renee Carter, spokeswoman for the pro-beltline Coalition for Regional Transportation, said supporters of the project will turn out to voice their support.

"We need the jobs and economic development this project will bring," Carter said. "We have seen the economic prosperity that was brought by the southern beltline."

She said southern and western parts of Jefferson County can experience the same sort of growth.

"We have been waiting for this for decades," Carter said.

Opponents of the project are pleased that ALDOT appears to be opening up for a public discussion of the project, but they also are somewhat skeptical that public comments really will be considered, since the route already has been picked.

Pat Feemster of SOURCE -- Save our Unique Resources, Community and Environment -- said the route creates the potential for environmental damage and doesn't meaningfully address traffic congestion problems, but instead is based on opening land for development.

"It is an opportunity for people to express themselves. Now, whether it will make a difference is another question," she said. "It is not based on the best route. It is based on politics and who has the most influence."

An economic impact study commissioned by the coalition and performed by the University of Alabama's Center for Business and Economic Research estimated that, during the construction phase of approximately two decades, the project is expected to create close to 35,000 construction jobs and stimulate $7.1 billion in economic activity. The study projects the communities along the beltline would add 6,500 people and 372 businesses, while improving the ability to travel across the region.

Opponents have said the roadway would spur development only if local governments could pay for the roads, sewer and water extensions required to support it. They also have said that the roadway would cut across the fragile headwaters of the Cahaba River and Turkey Creek, creating the potential for environmental damage, and that more targeted, less expensive projects could do more to improve traffic congestion.

"We want to make sure this represents the best investment of taxpayer dollars in return for sustainable economic development," said Gil Rogers, an attorney for the Southern Environmental Law Center. "We don't have a whole lot of money to spread around these days."

The SELC represents Black Warrior Riverkeeper in a lawsuit against ALDOT that charges the state agency has failed to adequately study the impact of the road or consider alternatives.

ALDOT has announced it will be publishing an environmental document, which an ALDOT spokesman said would be "a re-evaluation of the entire corridor and will include a review of indirect and cumulative impacts."

The planned release of the document on Sept. 19 gives little time to study it, Black Warrior Riverkeeper Nelson Brooke said. But his organization and others look forward to participating.

"We are definitely going to be there and it is pretty exciting to see ALDOT allowing for public comment," said Brooke. "This is a conversation we think should have taken place long ago."
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #7375
hoosier

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Is there any realistic chance of a routing through the city? First I've heard of one, although I don't pay a lot of attention to "future" Interstates, figuring most of them will never see the light of day....

My point was, really, whether we expect it to be posted around 465 rather than disappearing on one side of the city and reappearing on the other.

Of course, if that routing through the city happens, we could end up with a 65/69/70 multiplex!
I-69 will share the same route as I-465, it will not cut through the center of Indianapolis. The interstate is a decade away from reaching Indianapolis since the state has no funding to build it and its construction will require the purchase of many more properties than the new terrain portion and likely lengthy eminent domain battles.
Old September 17th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #7376
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I-69 will share the same route as I-465, it will not cut through the center of Indianapolis. The interstate is a decade away from reaching Indianapolis since the state has no funding to build it and its construction will require the purchase of many more properties than the new terrain portion and likely lengthy eminent domain battles.
This is when you're thankful that Texas builds frontage roads on all its highways, which allows for easy upgrade to interstate standards. I'm surprised more of "I-69" in Texas hasn't been upgraded yet. They're talking about actually signing it through Houston.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #7377
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

The 5 at Hyperion

image hosted on flickr

&quot;Many moving parts&quot; by sirimiri, on Flickr
Old September 18th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #7378
Filipdr

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Great pics.
Filipdr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #7379
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
This is when you're thankful that Texas builds frontage roads on all its highways, which allows for easy upgrade to interstate standards. I'm surprised more of "I-69" in Texas hasn't been upgraded yet. They're talking about actually signing it through Houston.
There are actually a few upgrades taking place along US 59 in East Texas notably around the Cleveland area.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #7380
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

I-75 through Detroit

urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban