daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #7381
wkiehl101

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
I-75 through Detroit

Ooooh I like

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2011, 12:00 AM   #7382
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 10:40 AM   #7383
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Today we celebrate 71 years of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. On October 1st, 1940, the first 160-mile section opened between the cities of Harrisburg and Pittsburgh.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM   #7384
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Also today the Ohio Turnpike opened for about 220 miles across Ohio, completing this pre-Interstate toll road. It opened op October 1st, 1955, 56 years ago. It was later grandfathered into the Interstate Highway system.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; October 1st, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old October 1st, 2011, 02:08 PM   #7385
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Occasionally I wonder why the Indiana Toll Road was built where it was, along the state's northern border as if to avoid contaminating the rest of the state. I found this map:

Routes C and D are just silly, but Route B looks a lot more convincing than Route A. Maybe Route A used an abandoned rail right of way?

EDIT: Oh, poo. The map is at http://web.archive.org/web/200405081.../tollplans.JPG .
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 03:59 PM   #7386
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

NJ 495 Eastbound

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3572 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3573 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3574 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3575 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3576 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3577 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3578 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3579 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:13 PM   #7387
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Was that lane for buses only?
Does that happen very often there?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:19 PM   #7388
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Every Morning from 5-9am that lane is for buses only , any bus as long as its loaded can use it. Out of service buses have to use the regular lanes.
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:37 PM   #7389
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Today we celebrate 71 years of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. On October 1st, 1940, the first 160-mile section opened between the cities of Harrisburg and Pittsburgh.
I'm not a big fan of toll roads - and the Pennsylvania Turnpike's not cheap, by American standards - but I do like the Turnpike, particularly through the mountains....

Quote:
Also today the Ohio Turnpike opened for about 220 miles across Ohio, completing this pre-Interstate toll road. It opened op October 1st, 1955, 56 years ago. It was lather grandfathered into the Interstate Highway system.
Um, didn't want to leave Ohio out of the multi-quote; it's a perfectly nice state. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Occasionally I wonder why the Indiana Toll Road was built where it was, along the state's northern border as if to avoid contaminating the rest of the state. I found this map:
Presumably the point was to do their segment of the route from Chicago to the east coast - handle all that traffic the Ohio Turhpike would be dumping at the state line - without having Indiana taxpayers pay for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
NJ 495 Eastbound
(Um, not an Interstate. :-) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
If it's not clear, 495 is the approach to the Lincoln Tunnel (and has existed in some form since the late '30s, by the way - the first tube of the tunnel opened in 1937). New York's main bus terminal is right at the New York end of the tunnel. So close to the tunnel that there are bus-only ramps from the tunnel into the terminal. With the volume of buses using 495 and the tunnel - heck, the volume of everyone using them - in the morning rush hour, I suspect (not being a traffic-management expert in any way) it makes sense to segregate the buses from other traffic on 495. In other words, that dedicated bus lane on 495 continues through the tunnel and right into the terminal, and that way (1) a backup of buses wouldn't affect everyone else on 495 and (2) the buses don't get stuck in backups of cars.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:59 PM   #7390
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
(Um, not an Interstate. :-) )
AFAIK it was I-495 , which was intended to bypass Connecticut from I-95 in Secaucus NJ, across all the lenght of Long Island and back to I-95 near Westerly RI.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 05:07 PM   #7391
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

It was I-495, indeed. And I can remember when it was I-495. But it's not an Interstate now and hasn't been for some time. (Sorry, Nexis :-) )

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 05:10 PM   #7392
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
It was I-495, indeed. And I can remember when it was I-495. But it's not an Interstate now and hasn't been for some time. (Sorry, Nexis :-) )
There are still some interstate shieds and signs....so its an interstate to some and by regional standards...
Old October 1st, 2011, 08:43 PM   #7393
Tom 958

Today congestion management tolls were imposed on HOV lanes on I-85 from just south of I-285/Spaghetti Junction to their northern end near GA 317/Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road, just south of I-985.

Project website, PeachPass site, for users

As usual, I'm too lazy to take and post pictures, but here's one taken just after the change:

Registered carpools with three or more occupants will still be able to use the lanes for free, but all users must have a PeachPass transponder. I think the PeachPass also works for the GA 400 toll booth.

The project cost about $110m, most of which was apparently spent on signs. I swear I've never seen so many goddamned signs in my life. And in such a variety of colors, too, including purple. The weird thing: having introduced purple signs, you might think that purple would be used for everything having to do with the toll lane system, but it isn't. The pricing signs are white and the access point signs are mostly green or green and purple. It's like being in Spain or Austria.

One good thing: $36m is being used to add express bus service in the corridor.

EDIT: Oh, wow. There's a webpage about the signs. They're MUCTD compliant, so I guess I'd better get used to them. Surely if these initial lanes are successful, the concept will be expanded metrowide.

According to that site:
Quote:
The process to change Express Lane signage to its permanent text is scheduled to begin Friday, September 16. The 10-day sign change process is planned for overnights only from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. with up to triple lane closures on the interstate. Six crews will make the necessary changes to 105 signs on 60 support structures in the 16-mile corridor in DeKalb and Gwinnett counties
See what I mean about too many signs?

Quote:
Based on new federal guidelines (2009 MUTCD) all new Express Lane signs must have a purple background for the Peach Pass header and a green background for the sign body. Consistent
express lane signage colors across the U.S. ensure that motorists will quickly recognize express lanes and toll lanes wherever they travel.
I think the signs weren't MUTCD compliant on the first try. Oops.

Last edited by Tom 958; October 1st, 2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: adding more stuff I found
Old October 1st, 2011, 11:41 PM   #7394
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The idea of consistent signage of express lanes (toll lanes) throughout the United States is not bad. However in this case it's converting an existing HOV lane to a toll lane. This does not increase capacity, yet costs $ 110 million. What's the win situation? Rich people buying their way through congestion.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 02:35 AM   #7395
Tom 958

Quote:
The idea of consistent signage of express lanes (toll lanes) throughout the United States is not bad. However in this case it's converting an existing HOV lane to a toll lane. This does not increase capacity, yet costs $ 110 million. What's the win situation? Rich people buying their way through congestion.
I'm a skeptic, too, but the fact is that the HOV lanes as constructed weren't especially effective since they weren't (and still aren't) physically separated and have few direct access points. Plus, experience has shown that on a ten lane freeway like that part of I-85, ambient carpool usage of 10% or so will absorb half of the capacity of an added HOV lane, leading to congestion that's nearly as bad as that in the general traffic lanes. The idea is to price the more marginal users out of the lane, improving conditions for transit, vanpools, carpools with 3 or more people, and emergency vehicles, plus providing a means for people who need it enough to pay with a way to get where they're going fast regardless of traffic, something that's not available today at any price.

Whether it's worth what they've spent on it, I have my doubts. but IMO the concept is sound.

Contrary to the kneejerk reactions of conservatives, the concept comes out of libertarian theory. Also, consider the irony: Road advocates usually insist that the ability to travel quickly by car is immensely valuable-- unless the users are expected to pay for it directly, in which case it's a ripoff.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:03 AM   #7396
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19142

I just came back from the Great Lakes and shot few pictures of the interstates
Let's start from Detroit

I-75, view from Woodward Ave

I-75, from the south of downtown

This is the foot bridge I shot the pictures from. It is on the verge of collapse. All rusted, including visible reinforcement bars of the main deck. It was all moving and shaking. I was quickly off it

I-80/90, Ohio Turnpike just west of Toledo, shot from one of the local county highways I was enjoying

Great intersection of I-43, I-94 and I-795 in Milwaukee

geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:08 AM   #7397
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Is Detroit the only city(or rather the metropolitan area) in the US with 70 mph speed limit?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:16 AM   #7398
geogregor

Here few shots from around Chicago
I-294, Tri-State Tollway. It is in really good condition.
I like the idea of transponder tolling of the main lanes (I'm not sure how they call this system in Chicago) and toll booths off the main lanes for cash or cards paying drivers like me.

View from one of the "Oasis" which are service areas built like in Europe, with gas stations and food joints accessible without leaving the tollway. Food court is right above the tollway. Great place for burger for a real road geek

Here I-94/80 in Indiana coming close to Chicago

There was accident eastbound which caused massive tailback.

I drove a lot in the USA but never seen such heavy truck traffic like around Chicago. It might be not really visible on my pictures because I was concentrating on driving when I was overtaking hordes of semis, especially as I drive quite fast but there were really a lot of trucks.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:35 AM   #7399
geogregor

Mackinac Bridge
First some views from the air on the way to Chicago

Tolls are collected on the north side

View from the south side of the bridge

I-75 southbound somewhere between Gaylord a Grayling.
Does anyone know why they painted double yellow and white lines there?

Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:13 AM   #7400
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Great pics btw

Anyways Chicago is a huge distribution center and is a major hub for the Interstate system with I-94, I-90, I-88, I-80, I-55, I-57, I-65 all passing thru or terminating inside the metro area so seeing alot of semi-trailers is pretty common.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban