daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #7421
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Because in Texas county's have different speed limits and in other states it's the same in the entire state.
Correct.

TxDot's policy includes lowering the speed limit in certain counties with an above average population density and raising the speed limit in areas with few people.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #7422
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Speed limits should be set based on road design and the V85 percentile, not the average population density of a county. Though it seems that TXDOT is giving up on this, they are going to reconsider speed limits throughout the state in the coming years, which means many roads will get a higher speed limit.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:27 AM   #7423
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
That building in the background in the former Michigan Central station, now vacant. There are some rumnblings of wanting to redevelop it, but I have heard nothing solid on that.

The western part of the Ohio Turnpike is a long, but somewhat interesting midwestern interstate highway drive.

Isn't the 'Marquette' an *AWESOME* interchange?

It looks to me like the MDOT line-painting crew simply painted new lines slightly off from the old ones.

The I-94 part of the Tri-State Tollway (the part in Lake County) was rebuilt a couple of years ago and is, IMHO, the very BEST road that I have ever driven on - well worth the very reasonable toll rates that are charged to use it!

I have also dined with that view of the highway many times over the years while on my way to or from Chicago or points beyond.

Also, the Borman/Kingery (I-80/94) was also just upgraded, an INTERMINABLY long project, and yes, it is one of, if not the, highest volume truck/lorry route in the USA, if not the World. You didn't stop at one of 'Krazy Kaplan's' fireworks stands in Gary, did you?

How was the Wisconsin northwoods?

Mike
Agreed. Most of the tollways around Chicago have been completely rebuilt and widened in the past 5 years. I certainly don't miss the 6-lane pothole-filled tollway that it replaced.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #7424
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 84 in Boise, an 8-lane freeway is usually not associated with Idaho.

image hosted on flickr

I-84 into Downtown Boise by susankinidaho, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

brewerfan386 liked this post
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #7425
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Speed limits should be set based on road design and the V85 percentile, not the average population density of a county. Though it seems that TXDOT is giving up on this, they are going to reconsider speed limits throughout the state in the coming years, which means many roads will get a higher speed limit.
Well anyone who's ever driven The Big Empty understands why the limit is 80 mph. (it should be the old 95mph)
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #7426
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32132

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
For the most part. They were also built for defense purposes as well in aiding Interstate commerce which is why Alaska and Hawaii also have Interstates despite not being near a bordering state.
As you mentioned, the main purpose (originally) of Interstates is defense. I have heard that they were initially built to connect military bases and military strategic locations. I have also heard that it is because of this reason that Hawaii has Intestate roads: They connect all military bases on the island of O'ahu:

H1 : Connects Pearl Harbor Naval Base / Hickam Air Force Base with Fort Shafter and Diamond Head Military Installation

H2: Connects Pearl Harbor Naval Base / Hickam Air Force Base with Schofield Army Base

H3: Connects Pearl Harbor Naval Base / Hickam Air Force Base with Kaneohe Marine Corps Base
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #7427
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

A main purpose of the Interstates was defense - the full name of the system is the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways - but in the mid-50s (after the invention of the hydrogen bomb but before intercontinental missiles), "defense" mostly meant evacuating cities. As much good as that would have done.

Interesting times....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #7428
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, those military bases also happen to be major job centers on Oahu. I don't think there are areas on Oahu with no freeways in favor of the military bases.
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #7429
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
A main purpose of the Interstates was defense - the full name of the system is the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways - but in the mid-50s (after the invention of the hydrogen bomb but before intercontinental missiles), "defense" mostly meant evacuating cities. As much good as that would have done.

Interesting times....
Actually the Interstate system as a whole was concieved as an idea by US millitary and other government officials during World War II because while they were fighting in Germany, they realized how the Autobahn network gave the German millitary a strategic advantage in regards to moving troops and supplies efficiently. Other countries such as the UK also built their motorway networks for this purpose.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #7430
wkiehl101

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Interstate 84 in Boise, an 8-lane freeway is usually not associated with Idaho.

image hosted on flickr

I-84 into Downtown Boise by susankinidaho, on Flickr
nice shot!
Old October 11th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #7431
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

from the bay area:

photos: http://www.mtc.ca.gov/news/current_t...-11/92-880.htm
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #7432
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It used to be a cloverleaf:
Old October 11th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #7433
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Interstate 78 Westbound

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3996 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN3999 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4000 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4001 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4003 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4005 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4006 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4007 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4008 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4009 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4011 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #7434
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Today it's 18 years ago this monster interchange opened in Los Angeles, the I-105 / I-110 interchange. It was the most significant freeway opening in the Los Angeles area in 15 years and has been the most significant freeway opening ever since, as freeway construction in Los Angeles basically ceased 35 years ago.

Old October 14th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #7435
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Today it's 18 years ago this monster interchange opened in Los Angeles, the I-105 / I-110 interchange. It was the most significant freeway opening in the Los Angeles area in 15 years and has been the most significant freeway opening ever since, as freeway construction in Los Angeles basically ceased 35 years ago.

Wow, that's quite a photo! What strikes me is how close the suburban(?) houses go to the freeway. Did the buildings come first and then the interchange was put in? There must have been a lot of clearance if it was.

Also the "wrong-side" exits (I was going to say right-hand exits, but then I realised a right hand exit is normal in the USA).
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #7436
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

That's relatively close to central Los Angeles; most housing in the area must be decades older than I-105, and possibly both freeways. (110 was built in the early 50s, I believe). http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...m&z=14&vpsrc=6

I'm not sure what the neighborhoods in question are like: I think the 1994 riots were near there, but a local can tell you better than I.... (I'm just saying I'd guess the people in the neighborhood were less equipped to resist the construction of an interchange like that in their midst than would have been the case in, say, Beverly Hills.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #7437
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yep this is south central Los Angeles and surrounding areas, rather low-income. The freeway was badly needed though, traffic volumes on the Santa Monica Freeway (I-10) dropped significantly and never increased to that much again. People from the Inland Empire (specifically from the I-10 and Route 60) can now avoid central Los Angeles when traveling to and from LAX.
Old October 14th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #7438
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220 View Post
Also the "wrong-side" exits (I was going to say right-hand exits, but then I realised a right hand exit is normal in the USA).
In the U.S. most exits are (obviously) on the right side, but sometimes there are exits on the left too. Most of the time it works fine, although it can slow down the traffic in the far left lane.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #7439
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It appears that most recent left-hand exits are for HOV facilities.
Old October 14th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #7440
Frank IBC

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Some Interstate shots i found of the DC/NOVA area... [images #4, #7 and #8 of 8 shown here]

image hosted on flickr

Alexandria, Virginia by La Citta Vita, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Reston Town Center, aerial by La Citta Vita, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tysons Corner, Virginia by La Citta Vita, on Flickr
Great pictures, Nexis.

During the heavy rains from the two tropical storms a few weeks ago, the Beltway was flooded and closed in the Cameron Run floodplain just west of the Wilson Bridge (image is oriented such that east is at the top, west at the bottom).

On the picture of Tysons Corner (bottom), you can see the elevated Silver Line of Washington DC's Metrorail system under construction, diverging from the Dulles Access Road in the upper right, going along Route 123, then in the median of Route 7, then back to the Dulles Access road, where it will be built in the median. You can see the elevated structure on the east/right side of the picture, where it crosses the Beltway. Construction on the actual structure has not begun on Route 7 (center to center-left of image) but you can see the right-of-way in the median being prepared.

The Silver Line will continue through Reston (middle picture) but construction has not started there yet. When complete, the Dulles Access Road/Toll Road will be 10 lanes plus rail, 4+2+2+4, with the inner lanes for airport traffic only (no toll).

Maybe you could cross-post this image on the "Subways" topic, Nexis?
Frank IBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban