daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #7441
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I am on a road trip!

Today (Friday), I drove from home (Philadelphia) to a stop for the night at exit 152 of the Ohio Turnpike, using I-76 & I-80 - the Schuylkill Expressway, Pennsylvania Turnpike and Ohio Turnpike. Tomorrow, it's on to the Chicago area, where I'll stay for a few days, see the city and explore a bit, perhaps up to Milwaukee and Madison.... I want to have a good browse here: http://www.mapservice.com/location.shtm . Then I'll probably head to my parents' in northern New Jersey, slightly more circuitously - go through southern Michigan, just to be able to check off another state I've driven in....

Oddities today:

1) At several points on the turnpikes, there are construction zones with two lanes open, and signage ordering trucks and buses to use the left lane. I.e. what ought to be the passing lane. I don't get the rationale for this. At one point near Cleveland, I found myself in the right lane, to get out of a long line of trucks, torn between the urge to drive faster than all of them and the knowledge that that was illegal. (Not just because of the passing-on-the-right thing, but because the speed limit was 50 m.p.h. in these construction zones.) I did it anyway, suspecting that the people behind me would appreciate that.

By the way, talking of lane discipline, I saw several overhead signs on the Ohio Turnpike (in areas with three lanes each way) saying "trucks and slower traffic use two right lanes). Much good it does.

2) Road trains! I saw a few trucks in Ohio consisting of a cab and two or even three trailers. Does that not happen farther east, or have I just never noticed it? And if it doesn't happen farther east, perhaps because it's illegal, do they all sort of disassemble at the Pennsylvania line? I've thought of road trains as an Australian phenomenon until now; it's an Australian expression.

3) One cool thing about northern Ohio is being able to pick up Radio-Canada (in French) from across the lake.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #7442
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

I drive an 18-wheeler myself so I can clear up the info about the road trains; triples and double 48ft trailers are limited to the turnpikes ONLY (not any PA turnpikes), east of the Mississippi, and a few states west of the Mississippi except California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Double 28ft trailers aren't as restricted. Now what happens when such Turnpike vehicle reaches a restricted state or an exit it needs, you might notice large parking lots at the toll booths (both beginning/end tollbooths and interchange tollbooths) where the trailers are exchanged, dropped, picked up, so the vehicle is made legal before entering a state that doesn't allow triples or double 48ft'ers. (trivia, 48ft is not the longest van box trailer, i pull a 53ft which are more common actually, then there are 57ft van box trailers allowed in very few states west of the Mississippi)

Penn's Woods, if you come to Wisconsin you might as well check out Lambeau Field! (if you do, take I-43, US-41 is under construction for expansion)

BTW you also pick up Canadian radio stations around Buffalo, NY and northern NY (French actually)

And about some construction zones that ask trucks to use left lane, that usually means the construction zone is shifting traffic to the right where the shoulder is utilized as well as the right lane, the shoulders aren't as strong as the normal travel lanes and thus large vehicles traveling on the shoulder temporarily, can damage the shoulder.

Last edited by Jschmuck; October 15th, 2011 at 06:01 AM.
Jschmuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #7443
State of the Union

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220 View Post
Wow, that's quite a photo! What strikes me is how close the suburban(?) houses go to the freeway. Did the buildings come first and then the interchange was put in? There must have been a lot of clearance if it was.

Also the "wrong-side" exits (I was going to say right-hand exits, but then I realised a right hand exit is normal in the USA).
Allot of houses had to be taken out.

Those "wrong-side" exits are HOV-Direct connectors. Carpool traffic can seemlessly travel between I-105 to I-110 North and vice versa.
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #7444
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

I was wondering if anyone knows about it. a friend told me that he saw a widening of I 95 between Baltimore and Washington. I think it is possible that he can be mistaken if this was really where he claims it was. according to him he saw interchanges being rebuilt and widening of the road a great deal.

Does this rally goes on?

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #7445
Frank IBC

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows about it. a friend told me that he saw a widening of I 95 between Baltimore and Washington. I think it is possible that he can be mistaken if this was really where he claims it was. according to him he saw interchanges being rebuilt and widening of the road a great deal.

Does this rally goes on?
There are only two superhighways between Washington DC and Baltimore - the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (opened 1954, two lanes each way) and I-95 (opened 1973). Neither of these highways have been widened.

However, several parts of 1-95 south of Washington and north of Baltimore have been widened or reconstructed:

-"Mixing Bowl", I-95 at Capital Beltway, Springfield, Virginia - interchange reconstructed

-Capital Beltway between "Mixing Bowl" and Woodrow Wilson Bridge - currently being widened from 8 to 12 lanes

-Woodrow Wilson Bridge - across Potomac River at Alexandria, Virginia - widened from 6 to 12 lanes, raised from 10 m above river to 21 above river

-Interchange between 1-95 and I-895 (Harbor Tunnel Thruway), east of Baltimore, reconstructed

-Interchange between I-95 and I-695 (Baltimore Beltway, northeast of Baltimore) undergoing reconstruction.

-Also, the entire section of the Capital Beltway in Virginia, from the Woodrow Wilson Bridge to the Cabin John Bridge is undergoing widening from 8 lanes to 12 lanes.
Frank IBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #7446
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:

Does this rally goes on?
It could be the construction of the Intercounty Connector which is being built as an east-west route through the area.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #7447
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:

Does this rally goes on?
There's widening north of Baltimore. From the point of view of someone heading south, it starts - if memory serves - a bit north of interchange 67 (White Marsh Blvd./Md. 43), possibly close to the next interchange (74). Can't remember if it ends at the Beltway interchange or continues to the 895 fork. Both those interchanges - 95/695 and 95/895 - were rebuilt a couple of years ago. According to signage, they're building "express toll lanes."

I don't think there's anything going on along 95 itself between Washington and Baltimore, but the Intercounty Connector's being built (an east-west route across the northern suburbs of Washington, connecting I-95 to I-270) - parts are already open - and the construction of its interchange with 95 is certainly conspicuous if you're on 95. Last time I was there it looked as if the interchange was pretty much in place but not open yet.

EDIT: Wrote that before reading Frank's and Chris's posts. Looks like they covered much of it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 15th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #7448
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Looking at the ICC/I-95 interchange on Google Maps, I see that there are both a high speed ramp and a loop ramp for the eastbound ICC to northbound I-95 movement. That tells me that the CD's from that interchange will be extended to the next interchange northward, which could easily be mistaken for a widening of I-95.

EDIT: There's a ramp braid for the southbound direction, too. Yep, looks like there'll be a CD system on I-95 connecting two or three interchanges.

Last edited by Tom 958; October 15th, 2011 at 05:21 PM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #7449
Frank IBC

Likes (Received): 6

Ah, for some reason I forgot about the ICC and related construction along I-95. In addition to the overpasses and ramps for the ICC, and CD lanes (there are now three exits fairly close together), there are also overpasses for new local roads. This covers most of the 4 miles between the interchanges with MD-212 and MD-198, out of the 22 miles total between the two beltways.

That's probably what your friend saw, JohnFlint1985.
Frank IBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #7450
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
At one point near Cleveland, I found myself in the right lane, to get out of a long line of trucks, torn between the urge to drive faster than all of them and the knowledge that that was illegal. (Not just because of the passing-on-the-right thing, but because the speed limit was 50 m.p.h. in these construction zones.)
Why was it illegal? Passing on the right is legal in Ohio.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #7451
Squiggles

Likes (Received): 22

These are pictures I took a little over a year ago driving from Madison, Wisconsin to Biloxi, Mississippi.

Interstate 55/70 in west-central Illinois just before I-64 near St. Louis

Interstate 255 about to cross the Mississippi River just south of St. Louis

Close-up of the bridge

Interstate 255/Interstate 55 interchange. To the left, cut out of the picture, is a sign indicative of following I-255 to I-270 if you're trying to get to Kansas City

I-55 facing north towards St. Louis from the overpass where I-255 becomes I-270

I-55/I-40 split just west of the Mississippi River near Memphis

I-55 in southern Memphis, just before the Tennessee/Mississippi state line
Squiggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #7452
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank IBC View Post
Ah, for some reason I forgot about the ICC and related construction along I-95. In addition to the overpasses and ramps for the ICC, and CD lanes (there are now three exits fairly close together), there are also overpasses for new local roads. This covers most of the 4 miles between the interchanges with MD-212 and MD-198, out of the 22 miles total between the two beltways.

That's probably what your friend saw, JohnFlint1985.
If the C/D system reaches 212, they may as well extend it to the Beltway....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilesy View Post
Ah. I forgot about Ohio's lane-discipline issues. ;-) (Although today, from North Ridgeville to Indiana, it wasn't that bad.)

Seriously, it is legal there? That would explain, as I remarked some time ago, 275 around your neck of the woods. I just assumed. But there are overheads along the Turnpike all the way across (except in construction zones, and where it drops to two lanes west of Toledo) reading "Trucks and Slower Traffic Use 2 Right Lanes." And they're black-on-white, not black-on-yellow, so I'd take that as mandatory.

A lot of wind across Ohio and Indiana, but the weather's glorious in Chicago today. Went right across the Turnpike, Indiana Toll Road, and Chicago Skyway, then through the city on the Ryan, Kennedy and Edens, and up the Tristate to where I'm staying in Lake County. (Sorry that sounds like a Chicago traffic report: it would be interstates 80, then 80/90, then 90, then 90/94, then 94.) Intentionally took the route through the city even though there was heavy traffic (and WBBM told me there would be), because I wanted to see it.

More tomorrow. Sorry (slightly) I'm not a photographer, but I think it's probably just as well that I don't try it while driving.

Off topic to Trilesy: what's with the Eagles logo: are you from Philadelphia or just a masochist? ;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 16th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #7453
Trilesy

Quote:
Ah. I forgot about Ohio's lane-discipline issues. ;-) (Although today, from North Ridgeville to Indiana, it wasn't that bad.)

Seriously, it is legal there? That would explain, as I remarked some time ago, 275 around your neck of the woods. I just assumed. But there are overheads along the Turnpike all the way across (except in construction zones, and where it drops to two lanes west of Toledo) reading "Trucks and Slower Traffic Use 2 Right Lanes." And they're black-on-white, not black-on-yellow, so I'd take that as mandatory.
That sign is just a measure to keep slower traffic in the right 2 lanes, but it doesn't mean that you can't pass on the right. In general, drivers are not encouraged to pass on the right, but it is still legal.

Quote:
Off topic to Trilesy: what's with the Eagles logo: are you from Philadelphia or just a masochist? ;-)
I used to live in Eastern PA (Lebanon) before moving to Cincinnati, so it's a heritage thing. The "dream team" had a rough start this season and tomorrow's game will pretty much answer the question whether they're going into playoffs or not. Bengals suck big time, so they'll never have me as their fan.
Old October 16th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #7454
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

After the way the baseball season ended (hence my current sig), I don't have the energy to care about the Eagles.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 16th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #7456
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilesy View Post
In some states it is illegal, however it is a common courtesy that slower vehicles use the right lane and other faster vehicles use the left lane.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #7458
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

I-30 Arlington TX

image hosted on flickr

I-30 by the urban fabric, on Flickr

The High Five, Dallas

image hosted on flickr

high five, Dallas by Manish Mamtani, on Flickr

Last edited by desertpunk; October 16th, 2011 at 10:30 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #7459
Lum Lumi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1531

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Great video, thanks.
Lum Lumi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #7460
Trilesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I loved it, really cool.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban