daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 25th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #7481
michael_siberia
Trzecie pokolenie akowców
 
michael_siberia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wungiel
Posts: 30,323
Likes (Received): 25715

My fault
michael_siberia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #7482
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)
 
TheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,358
Likes (Received): 6

Anyone else here ever run out of coins to pay tolls on the Atlantic City Expressway?

My friend and I did a little tour of the Northeast last week in a rental car (NYC, Jersey City, Atlantic City, Washington DC, Philadelphia, and back), and after paying the toll several times on the Atlantic City Expressway and accidentally taking the wrong exit, we realized (upon re-entering the freeway) that we didn't have enough coins, so we had to drive through a toll without paying (it was a $0.75 toll).

This was one of those automated basket-type toll booths that only accept coins with no one manning them, and we did not have EZ-Pass.

Upon doing some research on the Internet, this seems to be a somewhat common occurrence. Now have to wait and see if the rental company gets the charge (and charges me an arm and a leg in administrative fees ).
__________________
Check out my driving videos on Youtube | Please visit the Highways & Autobahns forum
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #7483
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't
 
diablo234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,297

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Anyone else here ever run out of coins to pay tolls on the Atlantic City Expressway?

My friend and I did a little tour of the Northeast last week in a rental car (NYC, Jersey City, Atlantic City, Washington DC, Philadelphia, and back), and after paying the toll several times on the Atlantic City Expressway and accidentally taking the wrong exit, we realized (upon re-entering the freeway) that we didn't have enough coins, so we had to drive through a toll without paying (it was a $0.75 toll).

This was one of those automated basket-type toll booths that only accept coins with no one manning them, and we did not have EZ-Pass.

Upon doing some research on the Internet, this seems to be a somewhat common occurrence. Now have to wait and see if the rental company gets the charge (and charges me an arm and a leg in administrative fees ).
Maybe you can call their customer service line, explain your situation, and offer to pay any tolls so you don't get hit up with fines? I know toll roads in Illinois and Texas offer you the option to pay any tolls later if you failed to pay at the toll booth with no fines attached.

Anyways I have heard that the Atlantic City Expressway is supposed to go all electronic in the near future (similar to Highway 407).
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:41 AM   #7484
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Anyone else here ever run out of coins to pay tolls on the Atlantic City Expressway?

My friend and I did a little tour of the Northeast last week in a rental car (NYC, Jersey City, Atlantic City, Washington DC, Philadelphia, and back), and after paying the toll several times on the Atlantic City Expressway and accidentally taking the wrong exit, we realized (upon re-entering the freeway) that we didn't have enough coins, so we had to drive through a toll without paying (it was a $0.75 toll).

This was one of those automated basket-type toll booths that only accept coins with no one manning them, and we did not have EZ-Pass.

Upon doing some research on the Internet, this seems to be a somewhat common occurrence. Now have to wait and see if the rental company gets the charge (and charges me an arm and a leg in administrative fees ).
Did you rent that car in New York? I'm surprised that your car didn't have E-ZPass. (Not that I've rented a car in the Northeast lately; it may be normal practice, for all I know, not to provide E-ZPass - and charge you for your tolls, of course. But it shouldn't be normal practice.)

I hardly ever use the Atlantic City Expressway, notwithstanding living about 15 miles from one end of it....
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #7485
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Maybe you can call their customer service line, explain your situation, and offer to pay any tolls so you don't get hit up with fines? I know toll roads in Illinois and Texas offer you the option to pay any tolls later if you failed to pay at the toll booth with no fines attached.

Anyways I have heard that the Atlantic City Expressway is supposed to go all electronic in the near future (similar to Highway 407).
I was just in the Chicago area - every tollbooth on the Tollways, far as I can tell, has a little sign as you pull out giving you a web address to go to, within 7 days, if you didn't pay your toll.

Have heard nothing about the ACE going all-electronic, not that I necessarily would. As I said, I don't use it. But I'm practically local.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #7486
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't
 
diablo234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,297

In this article they mentioned that the ACE is expected to go with "all electronic" toll collection in two to four years.

Philadelphia Inquirer - Atlantic City Expressway plans all-electronic tolling
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #7487
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)
 
TheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,358
Likes (Received): 6

On their website they do mention that you can pay the toll later, but it must be done within 48 hours and they only accept payment by cheque or money order. I don't have a cheque book (haven't used a cheque in many years - it is not nearly as common in Canada as it is in the US). Either way it would be complicated as I was in the middle of my trip, away from home.

Either way, it is too late now.
__________________
Check out my driving videos on Youtube | Please visit the Highways & Autobahns forum
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #7488
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
In this article they mentioned that the ACE is expected to go with "all electronic" toll collection in two to four years.

Philadelphia Inquirer - Atlantic City Expressway plans all-electronic tolling
Must have missed the paper that day, or forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
On their website they do mention that you can pay the toll later, but it must be done within 48 hours and they only accept payment by cheque or money order. I don't have a cheque book (haven't used a cheque in many years - it is not nearly as common in Canada as it is in the US). Either way it would be complicated as I was in the middle of my trip, away from home.

Either way, it is too late now.
Hmm.
Well, if they're that fussy about the forms they'll accept payment in, I'd move on with a clear conscience; and they're unlikely to pursue you in Canada for, what was it - 75 cents?

Off-topic: why are checks (U.S. spelling) so rare in Canada? Although at this point, I write one a month, to pay my rent.
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #7489
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,595
Likes (Received): 19389

Checks fell completely out of use in Europe years ago. They also abolished traveler checks a while back because nobody uses them in this age of credit cards and bank transactions via the internet..
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #7490
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)
 
TheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,358
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Off-topic: why are checks (U.S. spelling) so rare in Canada? Although at this point, I write one a month, to pay my rent.
I think people still use them for large transactions and possibly to pay rent (I currently live with my parents, so I don't have this expense), but like Chris said, I mostly use my credit and debit cards (for convenience and credit history - I never actually maintain debt on my credit card).

For larger transactions I use Internet electronic transfers (in Canada it is usually done via Interac, which costs about $1.50 per transaction if done via the Internet). I also pay all of my bills online.

I also noticed that the US still hasn't adopted PIN-based credit cards, so I had to sign the receipts everywhere. It is becoming increasingly rare in Canada (and in Europe too - as I saw on my trip there in 2010). I'm used to punching my PIN number instead in most locations.

Interestingly, from an article written in 2007 (http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2007/12...t-cards.html):

Quote:
"Canadians are among the highest users of debit worldwide," said Romano. "Last year, Canadians made more than three billion Interac Direct Payment transactions worth $148 billion, and each year this number continues to rise."

The debit card is the preferred method of payment for one out of two Canadians and there are more than 35 million debit cards in circulation in Canada, according to the association.
Though, I personally prefer using my credit card over my debit card since I also get some cash back.
__________________
Check out my driving videos on Youtube | Please visit the Highways & Autobahns forum
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #7491
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

I use cash for amounts up to about $20.00, unless I don't have enough on me. I record everything I do (and check against bank records) rather than just relying on the bank to do it, so I'd rather have the occasional receipt for a $100.00 cash withdrawal than a pile of receipts for $5.00 and $10.00 debit-card transactions.

So next time I go to Canada, will I need to arrange first for a PIN on my credit cards that don't have them? (I have three credit cards plus my debit card. Two of the credit cards charge no fee on international transactions, so I'd use them there.)
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #7492
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)
 
TheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,358
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I use cash for amounts up to about $20.00, unless I don't have enough on me. I record everything I do (and check against bank records) rather than just relying on the bank to do it, so I'd rather have the occasional receipt for a $100.00 cash withdrawal than a pile of receipts for $5.00 and $10.00 debit-card transactions.
Yeah I carry some cash with me as well, though I do use my credit card for small transactions too (have used it for transactions < $2 before ). I rarely use my debit card. In Canada we also have coins for $1 and $2 amounts, which I find annoying to carry. I mainly use cash for places that accept nothing else (not very common) or to pay friends back when we split costs and put everything on someone's credit card.

Quote:
So next time I go to Canada, will I need to arrange first for a PIN on my credit cards that don't have them? (I have three credit cards plus my debit card. Two of the credit cards charge no fee on international transactions, so I'd use them there.)
No need for a PIN card - the old way of swiping the card still works.

BTW - sorry for hijacking this thread. This discussion probably belongs more in the roadside rest area thread.
__________________
Check out my driving videos on Youtube | Please visit the Highways & Autobahns forum
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #7493
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American
 
mgk920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Appleton, WI USA
Posts: 2,583
Likes (Received): 68

New section of Interstate designated

In their meeting of 2011-10-15, AASHTO approved marking I-69 on US 77 from I-37 in Corpus Christi, TX to TX 44 in Robstown, TX, no date was set for erecting signs:

http://www.transportation.org/sites/...015%202011.pdf

(notice is on page 8)



Mike

Last edited by mgk920; October 27th, 2011 at 06:28 AM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #7494
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
 
desertpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ELP ~ ABQ
Posts: 55,643
Likes (Received): 53484

I-69

It would be unfulfilling to go just one way down that highway...
__________________
We are floating in space...
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #7495
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
 
desertpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ELP ~ ABQ
Posts: 55,643
Likes (Received): 53484

I-15 Barstow CA

image hosted on flickr

Interstate 15 by Eric Demarcq, on Flickr
__________________
We are floating in space...
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:06 AM   #7496
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't
 
diablo234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,297



I-10 in San Antonio. One of the few double decked freeways in the US.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #7497
FM 2258
Registered User
 
FM 2258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,438
Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Interstate 280 Eastbound...

<snip>

image hosted on flickr

, on Flickr
Nice pictures....I never understand why governments put such a low speed limit on freeways. It seems like a joke. I remember two weeks ago I was coming to the end of Interstate 89 in Concord, NH and for the last mile the speed limit went down to 40 mph. I slowed down to 40 but it felt ridiculous.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #7498
Paddington
Registered User
 
Paddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Southland
Posts: 4,665
Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I-15 Barstow CA

image hosted on flickr

Interstate 15 by Eric Demarcq, on Flickr
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #7499
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.
 
Fargo Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Port Kepler, Galilei Continent, Chakona
Posts: 685
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I-69

It would be unfulfilling to go just one way down that highway...
*snickers*
__________________
Resident Rouge/Assasin who is a flag wolfess on the side and would love to live in the Netherlands.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #7500
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I-15 Barstow CA

image hosted on flickr

Interstate 15 by Eric Demarcq, on Flickr
What's the vegetation among the sand? Cactus?
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium