daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #7541
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

I-395 Alexandria VA

image hosted on flickr

I-395, Alexandria by BeyondDC, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #7542
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Ex VA-350 and ex I-95.

These are apparently the oldest reversible lanes in the United States.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #7543
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I-395 Alexandria VA

image hosted on flickr

I-395, Alexandria by BeyondDC, on Flickr
That picture must have been taken on a good day. During rush hour I-395 just like every other freeway/expressway in the DC area is backed up beyond belief.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #7544
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Has that freeway taken on a 'cobblestone' texture on its driving surface yet (characteristic of the use of studded tires)? I recall that when I was in that area during a roadtrip in the 1990s, all of the freeways were like driving on cobblestones and that the concrete on one of them (I-270 NW of old Stapleton Airport) was worn so deeply that it was breaking through in places.

Mike
Nope, they just redid all of the freeways in the Denver area (with the exception of the I-70 viaduct) so they all have brand new pavement.

The T-Rex expansion alone added several new lanes to I-25, not to mention new interchanges, and a new light rail line aloingside the freeway.
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #7545
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Mahwah. Probably the strangest control city.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0998 by I.C. Ligget, on Flickr
Old November 7th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #7546
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Stranger than "Del Water Gap" or "Smith Road"? :-)

Seriously, don't get me started on American control-city practices. Navigating here by destinations is like navigating in Europe by route numbers. ;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #7547
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

You're telling me! The first couple of times that I went roadtripping in that area during the late 1990s the 'Del Water Gap' control completely befuddled me. 'Pennsylvania', in the same manner as IDOT uses 'Indiana', 'Iowa' and 'Wisconsin' as controls in and around Chicago, would have been much clearer!

'Mahwah', though, is a legitimate city in New Jersey and Smith Road is one of the local roads that the ramps at that interchange give direct access to.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #7548
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Mahwah is pretty small, but not reasonable alternatives like major cities are located along I-287. Mostly small suburbs not distinguishable from the other.

I-80, on the other hand, is a major transportation route, however, it does not directly serve any significant cities in Pennsylvania. I think Cleveland or Scranton would've been signed if this was in Europe. For a country the size of the United States most control cities are surprisingly close by.
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #7549
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well, Illinois is the other extreme from New Jersey: "Memphis" all the way up in Chicago for I-57? As opposed to Kankakee or Champaign-Urbana? Or both? And I don't know what we have against putting more than one place on a sign. (So: Kankakee, Memphis. Joliet, St. Louis. South Bend, Toledo. You get the idea.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #7550
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Mahwah is pretty small, but not reasonable alternatives like major cities are located along I-287. Mostly small suburbs not distinguishable from the other.

I-80, on the other hand, is a major transportation route, however, it does not directly serve any significant cities in Pennsylvania. I think Cleveland or Scranton would've been signed if this was in Europe. For a country the size of the United States most control cities are surprisingly close by.
I think a lot of states might go with Albany for 287 northbound. But New Jersey's allergic to places out of state. Even "New York" tends to take a back seat to Newark. And Philadelphia doesn't exist until you're within sight of the skyline.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #7551
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Well, Illinois is the other extreme from New Jersey: "Memphis" all the way up in Chicago for I-57? As opposed to Kankakee or Champaign-Urbana? Or both? And I don't know what we have against putting more than one place on a sign. (So: Kankakee, Memphis. Joliet, St. Louis. South Bend, Toledo. You get the idea.)
Most countries usually have 2 or 3 major cities listed as a control city. What is "major" depends on the context. On I-57, Memphis is by far the largest city in terms of population, but for rural Illinois, Kankakee or Champaign-Urbana are pretty "major" places. However, I think Kankakee or Champaign-Urbana are too unknown for out-of-staters, so by adding Memphis is gives a better defined direction where the Interstate is going to.

Just be happy that you don't have Polish control cities Then Cairo would've been signed all the way across Illinois. And East St. Louis will be signed all the way on I-55, instead of St. Louis itself.
Old November 7th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #7552
michael_siberia
Trzecie pokolenie akowców

Likes (Received): 25715

Quote:
Just be happy that you don't have Polish control cities
Especially immortal Jędrzychowice on A4 (BTW - how to spell it being non-Pole? )

@ Denver movie
Why the southern entrance has speed limit 75 and northern one - only (silly) 55?
michael_siberia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #7553
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
I think a lot of states might go with Albany for 287 northbound. But New Jersey's allergic to places out of state. Even "New York" tends to take a back seat to Newark. And Philadelphia doesn't exist until you're within sight of the skyline.
Typical Jersey.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:25 AM   #7554
ManRegio
A darle átomos.

Likes (Received): 3082

I don't know if someone posted it before, but I think it's a nice video.

The stacks of Texas
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #7555
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

There popular places for New Jerseyites to get away , Smith road is a busy road if i'm not mistake with alot of warehouses. Mahwah has a very large college and few corporations and the Del Water Gap attracts alot of tourists...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #7556
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Interestingly enough, Philadelphia doesn't exist as a control city even in Baltimore. Just New York. Philly maybe shows up on some mileage signs, but that's about it.
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #7557
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I am well aware of it. New York is completely out of hand.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 8th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #7558
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
There popular places for New Jerseyites to get away , Smith road is a busy road if i'm not mistake with alot of warehouses. Mahwah has a very large college and few corporations and the Del Water Gap attracts alot of tourists...
"They're"
"a lot"

The thing about Interstates is, they serve people from multiple states, not just local daytrippers. I-80 goes all the way across the country. Most states would post the next major city. Granted, Cleveland's a bit far from New Jersey....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #7559
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
"They're"
"a lot"

The thing about Interstates is, they serve people from multiple states, not just local daytrippers. I-80 goes all the way across the country. Most states would post the next major city. Granted, Cleveland's a bit far from New Jersey....
Theres nothing on the PA side , at least in terms of big cities. The Del Water Gap extends onto the PA side and includes a few towns on that side. Why does everybody seem to have an issue with what my state does , its always something wrong , or not normal by US standards....its fine by Jersey standards...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #7560
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
I am well aware of it. New York is completely out of hand.
It's probably because most north-south traffic gets off at I-95, and then heads over the Delaware Memorial Bridge into the New Jersey Turnpike therefore bypassing Philadelphia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_siberia View Post

@ Denver movie
Why the southern entrance has speed limit 75 and northern one - only (silly) 55?
It's because at that point there are two major interchanges with I-70 and US 36, I-76, and I-270 so traffic counts along that section are high.

Last edited by diablo234; November 8th, 2011 at 12:37 PM.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban