daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #7561
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Theres nothing on the PA side , at least in terms of big cities. The Del Water Gap extends onto the PA side and includes a few towns on that side. Why does everybody seem to have an issue with what my state does , its always something wrong , or not normal by US standards....its fine by Jersey standards...
To me, the Delaware Water Gap is that little spot where the river cuts through the mountains; I wouldn't say it includes "a few other towns." Stroudsburg, for example, I wouldn't say was part of the Water Gap. The Poconos might be a label for that area that would be known to more people.

I was born and raised in New Jersey myself, so I'm not an outsider picking on you. I find U.S. control-city practices in general open to a lot of criticism. The insistence on having just one place per sign leads to some choices that I find strange, and unhelpful to navigation. Europe is much better at this sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
It's probably because most north-south traffic gets off at I-95, and then heads over the Delaware Memorial Bridge into the New Jersey Turnpike therefore bypassing Philadelphia.
Philadelphia is the second-largest city on the east coast. By any definition of the term "major city," it's the next major city north of Baltimore. Yet Maryland just posts New York on 95 there. (And when you cross into Delaware, New York suddenly disappears in favor of "Wilmington, Philadelphia.") I'm not sure about what "most traffic" does there - I don't know the traffic counts, but at the northbound split there are two lanes leading to the bridge and three staying on 95. But, again, why the insistence on one place per sign? "Philadelphia, New York" would work. (I believe Maryland posts "Baltimore, New York" at the exits from the Capital Beltway to 95 northbound.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #7562
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Philadelphia is the second-largest city on the east coast. By any definition of the term "major city," it's the next major city north of Baltimore. Yet Maryland just posts New York on 95 there. (And when you cross into Delaware, New York suddenly disappears in favor of "Wilmington, Philadelphia.") I'm not sure about what "most traffic" does there - I don't know the traffic counts, but at the northbound split there are two lanes leading to the bridge and three staying on 95. But, again, why the insistence on one place per sign? "Philadelphia, New York" would work. (I believe Maryland posts "Baltimore, New York" at the exits from the Capital Beltway to 95 northbound.)
Baltimore, definitely. But I don't recall seeing New York that far south.

EDIT: Yes, New York does show up that far south, especially coming from the direction of Silver Spring. Can't believe I didn't remember... and I made that trip regularly between the beltways for two years.

Last edited by Professor L Gee; November 9th, 2011 at 05:36 AM. Reason: correcting myself
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #7563
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

New HOV lane on I-15 in the north of Salt Lake City:

image hosted on flickr

I-15 at 1000 North in Salt Lake City, looking north by CountyLemonade, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #7564
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

HOV lanes?
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #7565
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
HOV lanes?
In Utah too. Hence the two cars going down it.
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #7566
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManRegio View Post
I don't know if someone posted it before, but I think it's a nice video.

The stacks of Texas
Texas freeways are out of this world, nothing come close in the USA or the world to this.
Texas is now the king of freeways and stacks.
There are so many projects around DFW that Dallas will overtake Houston soon
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #7567
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Speaking of Texas Interstates.

Quote:

I-69 signs to go up in South Texas
By Michael Lindenberger

Well it's official. Texas has a new Interstate highway.

Texas transportation commissioners voted minutes ago to begin erecting Interstate 69 signs on a 6.2-mile stretch of U.S. 77 between Interstate 37 and State Highway 44 in Nueces County in south Texas near the Gulf of Mexico. The Texas segment of the 1,000-mile interstate is expected to eventually stretch from Texarkana to the border.

Polk County Judge Judge John Thompson, chairman of the Alliance for I-69, hailed the decision in a press release issued by TxDOT.

"It's a visible sign of the progress being made on I-69," Thompson said. "This is the result of the strong partnership between the Alliance for I-69 Texas, TxDOT, the I-69 Segment Committees, the I-69 Advisory Committee and the many elected officials and community leaders along the I-69 route in Texas that have remained committed to and focused on the development of the system."

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #7568
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManRegio View Post
I don't know if someone posted it before, but I think it's a nice video.

The stacks of Texas
Great video, here in Spain there is only one stack, at M-40/A-1/E05 interchange.

BTW, the President George Bush Turnpike, is a very narrow dirt road in very bad condition? Or is not named after that George Bush, but after his father?
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #7569
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Theres nothing on the PA side , at least in terms of big cities. The Del Water Gap extends onto the PA side and includes a few towns on that side. Why does everybody seem to have an issue with what my state does , its always something wrong , or not normal by US standards....its fine by Jersey standards...
I just looked at a map, Interstate 80 doesn't hit any "big" cities in Pennsylvania. Next "big" city is Youngstown, Ohio from New Jersey.
FM 2258 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #7570
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19142

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
New HOV lane on I-15 in the north of Salt Lake City:

image hosted on flickr

I-15 at 1000 North in Salt Lake City, looking north by CountyLemonade, on Flickr
I remember there was some large widening of I-15 going on. Is it part of this project?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #7571
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Speaking of Texas Interstates.
this is great news for Texas, Diablo.

Texas is still going strong
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #7572
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I remember there was some large widening of I-15 going on. Is it part of this project?
I think you mean the large-scale widening of I-15 south of Salt Lake City, which is currently going on.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #7573
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Great video, here in Spain there is only one stack, at M-40/A-1/E05 interchange.

BTW, the President George Bush Turnpike, is a very narrow dirt road in very bad condition? Or is not named after that George Bush, but after his father?
Both the George Bush Turnpike in Dallas and the George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston are named after the first Bush, not the worst Bush.

And yes the Turnpike is a freeway (or a limited access toll road in this case) for it's entire length.
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #7574
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

A video of I-80 going thru the Great Salt Lake Desert in Utah.

Old November 9th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #7575
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I just looked at a map, Interstate 80 doesn't hit any "big" cities in Pennsylvania. Next "big" city is Youngstown, Ohio from New Jersey.
There are small cities and large towns that run near the highway , but your right there are no large cities hench why there's nothing on the sign other then the Del-Water-Gap.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #7576
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Whereas "Clinton," population 2,719, appearing on I-78 45 miles away in Newark instead of Allentown, population 118,032, is pure New Jersey parochialism?

As for I-80, they could put Pennsylvania or the Poconos. If a midwestern state were doing the signage, they'd have no problem posting Cleveland. In fact, New York does show up in the Youngstown, Ohio, area on 80 eastbound.

The actual town of Delaware Water Gap, Pa., has a population of under 1,000 (even Stroudsburg, just a little bit farther, is far larger) If they're using the recreational area, in the broader sense of the whole resort region, as the control city, the Poconos are a better-known, broader term. The actual DWG National Recreational Area belongs on brown signs at the exit, not 50 miles away as the sole destination on a transcontinental Interstate.

But my original point to all this was to ask, bemusedly, why "Mahwah" stuck out as strange to Chris, when the DWG and Smith Road are on the same assembly. Not to besmirch the honor of my native state. [rolleyes]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; November 9th, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #7577
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21235

Why not use just the directions? After wall, AFAIK, odd-numbered Interstates = North-South, even-numbered Interstates = West-East.

In any case: in Wyoming, they indicate most cities out of state, especially Omaha, Denver and Salt Lake City. I haven't driven too much on I-25 north of Casper when I lived there to remember the signs. SLC and Denver are much more famous than any Wyoming city anyway.
Old November 9th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #7578
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Sure. Since - unlike Europe - we distinguish, say, I-80 WEST from I-80 EAST, the control cities are arguably redundant. But since we do use them, they may as well be as informative as possible. And not actually wrong.* Something between current one-city-per-destination American practice and the French practice of putting so much on the signs that you can't possibly read it all would be ideal. (I like French signage, actually. If I'm looking at pictures of it. At 130 km/h, not so much.)

*Like the point near Elkton, Maryland, where traffic to New York is directed up to I-95 while traffic to Philadelphia is directed to stay on US 40. Whereas in reality, which route you choose - whether you're going to Philadelphia or New York - will be a function of whether you want to avoid the toll at the Maryland/Delaware line.

There are many threads on this stuff at AARoads....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 10th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #7579
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19142

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think you mean the large-scale widening of I-15 south of Salt Lake City, which is currently going on.
Yes, that's what I was thinking about. Would be nice to get some update on that.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #7580
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
As for I-80, they could put Pennsylvania or the Poconos. If a midwestern state were doing the signage, they'd have no problem posting Cleveland. In fact, New York does show up in the Youngstown, Ohio, area on 80 eastbound.
How about Chicago?

North Carolina is just as bad. The correct control city for I-77 heading south from Charlotte would be Columbia, but some signs say Rock Hill and others Pineville, the town where I-77 and I-485 cross.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban