daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 05:10 PM   #7681
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Interesting feature in Texas, the I-44 splits around two blocks in Wichita Falls for a while.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM   #7682
ManRegio
A darle átomos.

Likes (Received): 3071

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Interesting feature in Texas, the I-44 splits around two blocks in Wichita Falls for a while.
I guess that is pretty odd for American, specially Texan standards. What would be the reason for not expropriating that block?
Old December 23rd, 2011, 07:23 PM   #7683
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManRegio View Post
I guess that is pretty odd for American, specially Texan standards. What would be the reason for not expropriating that block?
$$$$$

Also, the freeway segments on either end were built first, several decades before the part that is elevated over the streets to connect them together. I-44 originally ended at the end of the upper-left freeway, I'm not sure if it was extended to include the elevated-over-the-streets part when that opened. It is also marked as US 277, 281 and 287.

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; December 23rd, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:29 PM   #7684
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Luckily they are pretty much ignored by most people, I always have to laugh when driving through Atlanta with a 55mph speed limit everybody is doing 80+mph.
It's the same in LA.
On my first visist there I quickly learned that driving less than 80mph you actually cause dangerous situations as everyone is going faster, regardless of the posted limits.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:45 PM   #7685
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
$$$$$

Also, the freeway segments on either end were built first, several decades before the part that is elevated over the streets to connect them together. I-44 originally ended at the end of the upper-left freeway, I'm not sure if it was extended to include the elevated-over-the-streets part when that opened. It is also marked as US 277, 281 and 287.

Mike
Which is what I would have guessed. And that the streets would have been one-way, so that you've got the southbound roadway of the freeway leading into a southbound street, and a northbound street leading into the northbound roadway of the freeway. You'll see that sort of pattern all over the place (Charleston, S.C.; Lubbock, Tex....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 09:02 PM   #7686
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Amarillo has such a thing too. I-27 forks into/from 4 streets on the south side of downtown and US 287 does it on the north side. So through traffic will travel through downtown, but there isn't much north of Amarillo, so I guess it's not a big problem.

Amarillo also has a 40 mile, two-lane loop.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; December 23rd, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:26 PM   #7687
Ders453

Likes (Received): 70

Ders453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:38 PM   #7688
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Amarillo has such a thing too. I-27 forks into/from 4 streets on the south side of downtown and US 287 does it on the north side. So through traffic will travel through downtown, but there isn't much north of Amarillo, so I guess it's not a big problem.

Amarillo also has a 40 mile, two-lane loop.
I think I was thinking Amarillo when I said Lubbock. I knew one of them had the channeling-I-27-into-four-streets thing.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #7689
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

I always believe that we should have variable speed limits in urban freeways. There is no reason to do 55 mph on a nearly empty 2x3 freeway at 2am.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #7690
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I always believe that we should have variable speed limits in urban freeways. There is no reason to do 55 mph on a nearly empty 2x3 freeway at 2am.
I would say variable speed limits on all roads, but municipalities have to make their money somehow (speeding tickets).
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #7691
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

I think the beltway around Indianapolis has it. The speed limits were electronic signs so I am guessing it's because the limit changes.
Old December 25th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #7692
_Mort_
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima-Farid View Post
So it will be

It is not too much. in europe almost every motorway has a speed limit of 130 km/h
In Poland there is 140 km/h (87 mph) on motorways.
_Mort_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #7693
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I love that the Austin area and Texas in general are getting higher speed limits. I've never seen speed limits at 70+ so far into an urban area before. The tollway 45 just north of Austin now has a speed limit of 75, a speed limit I've only expected to see out in the middle of nowhere.
Come to Michigan, I-75 and I-96 are 70 well within Detroit city limits. I-94 is posted outside of limits. All of I-696 is posted at 70.
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #7694
dima4444

Likes (Received): 18

dima4444 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #7696
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1542

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mort_ View Post
In Poland there is 140 km/h (87 mph) on motorways.
Yes but keep in mind there is no official disctinction between a motorway/highway and an expressway like in Poland. Speed limits are often the same on these, 55 to 65.
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #7697
gigilamoroso

Likes (Received): 3

You guys really make me laugh ; when you advocate variable speed limits you should translate : you actually mean "variable speed limits provided the lowest one is at least 85 mph".

Low speed limits (55 mph for instance) make perfectly sense in urban freeways with lots of lanes and entrances/exists and heavy traffic. The main issue there is capacity, at least during peak hours, and you certainly don't reach the highest capacity and flowing with morrons doing 85+ mph in dense traffic, waving, tailgating, changing lanes .../...
gigilamoroso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #7698
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigilamoroso View Post
You guys really make me laugh ; when you advocate variable speed limits you should translate : you actually mean "variable speed limits provided the lowest one is at least 85 mph".

Low speed limits (55 mph for instance) make perfectly sense in urban freeways with lots of lanes and entrances/exists and heavy traffic. The main issue there is capacity, at least during peak hours, and you certainly don't reach the highest capacity and flowing with morrons doing 85+ mph in dense traffic, waving, tailgating, changing lanes .../...
But with so much traffic the traffic slows down anyway, so the speed limit becomes pretty academic.
Old December 25th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #7699
otter2020

image hosted on flickr

EB I-494 and US-169 Interchange by Otter 2020, on Flickr
Eden Prairie, Minnesota. Finally updating one of the worst intersection in the Minneapolis metro area during rush hour. Eliminating stop light on US-169 and creating flyovers to ease up traffic merging onto I-494.
otter2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #7700
otter2020

I-35W in Minneapolis was reconstructed to eliminate traffic congestion at the MN-62 (Crosstown Highway) intersection and expanded to add HOV lanes to and from downtown Minneapolis to southern suburb of Burnsville, south of the Minnesota River.
image hosted on flickr

HOV Lane enterance on NB I-35W at HWY 62, Richfield, MN by Otter 2020, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

I-35W and HWY 62 (Crosstown) Interchange by Otter 2020, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

NB I-35W to Downtown Minneapolis, MN by Otter 2020, on Flickr
otter2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban