daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #761
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

What?? Upside down? It is certainly not upside down in my media player. But I will put it on youtube soon.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #762
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Uhm, the video is upside down

Maybe you wanna edit it with windows movie maker, it is usually embedded in windows. The video will be in the wmv format, but won't be upside down, and you can add music, overlaps and stuff.
In Winamp many videos are upside down.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #763
Alex Von Königsberg

I don't know what is wrong with Chris' player, but I tried several media players (including winamp) and it was OK.

Anyway, I put them on youtube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BuXceQY2tW0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aVW0QGrQSBc
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #764
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

In youtube, they are okay.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #765
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

i have a dream: driving that road with my own nissan micra shipped to there so beautiful, the landscape
btw: nice chilling background music
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #766
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Alex, your 2nd clip is very nice! (First one a little dark, sorry!) You must have a nice vehicle, as your suspension is providing a very smooth ride!

Suggestion for your next trip...Oregon Coast from Newport to Lincoln City. Would make for some great video!

Enjoyed. Thanks!
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #767
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
i have a dream: driving that road with my own nissan micra shipped to there
With Micra you would probably catch several curious glances from bypassing drivers Man, I wish more of those small European cars were available in the US.

I am waiting for Opel Astra to come to dillerships take a test drive. In America, it will actually be Saturn Astra, but it is the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker
Alex, your 2nd clip is very nice! (First one a little dark, sorry!) You must have a nice vehicle, as your suspension is providing a very smooth ride!

Suggestion for your next trip...Oregon Coast from Newport to Lincoln City. Would make for some great video!
The first clip is not as dark in the original version (apparently the video looses its dynamic range during the youtube encoding), but it is still dark. I have a 5 MP Samsung camera, and it is not even a camcorder. It can only shoot decent videos on a bright day

As for Oregon, I actually took that trip back in 2000. The coast there is magnificient — somewhat different from the Northern California coast, but I like it better. I am biased against California anyway. Actually, Newport was the first place where I saw the Pacific Ocean for the very first time in my life. It was stormy, cold, and very powerful. Although I was quite familiar with the Atlantic Ocean because of my trips to Bretagne and Normandie, Pacific still made a great impression on me.

Last edited by Alex Von Königsberg; May 30th, 2007 at 05:15 AM.
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:06 AM   #768
Ćsahćttr

Likes (Received): 5

My family drove a large van on Hwy 1 last year. Fun Fun
Old May 31st, 2007, 04:48 AM   #769
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
With Micra you would probably catch several curious glances from bypassing drivers Man, I wish more of those small European cars were available in the US.

I am waiting for Opel Astra to come to dillerships take a test drive. In America, it will actually be Saturn Astra, but it is the same thing.

The first clip is not as dark in the original version (apparently the video looses its dynamic range during the youtube encoding), but it is still dark. I have a 5 MP Samsung camera, and it is not even a camcorder. It can only shoot decent videos on a bright day

As for Oregon, I actually took that trip back in 2000. The coast there is magnificient — somewhat different from the Northern California coast, but I like it better. I am biased against California anyway. Actually, Newport was the first place where I saw the Pacific Ocean for the very first time in my life. It was stormy, cold, and very powerful. Although I was quite familiar with the Atlantic Ocean because of my trips to Bretagne and Normandie, Pacific still made a great impression on me.
Yes, and even better on a nice clear day! Try late summer-early fall...I spent a couple of months in this area, and it is indeed heaven on earth.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #770
dallas

Likes (Received): 581

I like the pics, pity about the bitching and self agrandisment, it just makes for wasted diatribe that has to be waded through. The first national system was Germany with their autobahns which were developed when Hitler was in power; the reason he did this was for exactly the same reason as the US's, to move goods and people around the country quickly, but of course he had troop movements and military hardware in mind whereas Eisenhower, never a fan of the military / industrial complex had people and commerce in mind. So there may have been some form of freeways existing in the US prior to the interstate highway act, but they would have been on a very limited scale.

Also a question (or two), do a lot of cities / states in the US have big freeways that are not a part of the interstate system? I know California has a few, such as the 101, but I don't remember seeing any local freeways in Miami for instance. Would the 101 be the biggest non interstate freeway in the US?
dallas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #771
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas View Post
Also a question (or two), do a lot of cities / states in the US have big freeways that are not a part of the interstate system? I know California has a few, such as the 101, but I don't remember seeing any local freeways in Miami for instance.
Yes there are. In Fact, almost every US city has one or more (even a lot by some). Think of the many highways in the New York or Los Angeles area.

Quote:
Would the 101 be the biggest non interstate freeway in the US?
I think it is the busiest non-interstate freeway too.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #772
dallas

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Yes there are. In Fact, almost every US city has one or more (even a lot by some). Think of the many highways in the New York or Los Angeles area.

I think it is the busiest non-interstate freeway too.

Cheers dude.
dallas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #773
Alex Von Königsberg

In California, most of state highways at one point become motorways even if for just a couple of kilometres. This is an obvious advantage over European local highways because the latter will almost never become motorways. In other western states, however, it is harder to find motorways that are not interstates.
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #774
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Lane discipline: Is it followed in you motorways/freeways and multi lane arterials?

I'm curious to know.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #775
Alex Von Königsberg

In Sacramento Area, 60% of drivers don't follow it. However, upon tailgating most of them eventually move to the right. I think that left-lane banditism will exist until the government prohibits overtaking on the right.

Last edited by Alex Von Königsberg; June 8th, 2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #776
arriaca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 91

In Madrid (Spain), about 80 % of drivers don´t follow it.
arriaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #777
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

What's wrong with Madrid drivers?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #778
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

That's one of my worst pet peeves about driving. Half of all accidents wouldn't happen and speed limits could be set higher if people actually practiced lane discipline. It's not absolute speed that's dangerous, it's the difference in speeds among drivers that is. States should create/enforce slower-traffic-keep-right laws.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #779
Alex Von Königsberg

I agree. I think that in terms of financial benefits, enforcing turn signals and "keep right" laws would be the same as enforcing the speeding. So, why don't US cops do this?
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #780
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
I agree. I think that in terms of financial benefits, enforcing turn signals and "keep right" laws would be the same as enforcing the speeding. So, why don't US cops do this?
Because it's easier to enforce speeding laws, and they bring in more revenue.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban