daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #7841
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

Some places in big american cities with heavy traffic congestions have small interchanges with alot of traffic jams. They need to build bigger interchanges. In Texas they have the famoused HIGH FIVE INTERCHANGES. When will it come High Ten interchanges or atleast High Six Interchanges. Look in Los Angeles, traffic jams and small interchanges all over L.A metropolitan.

Caltran needs to build up the highway systems around L.A and bigger interchanges.
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #7842
tradephoric

Likes (Received): 24

Does INRIX's 100 Most Congested Metro Summary do a good job listing the most and least congested cities in America? Looking through INRIX rankings it looks like Miami does a good job managing congestion (7th most populous city, 15th most congested).

On the other hand a city like Minneapolis has relatively bad congestion (16th most populous metro, 11th most congested).

But looking closer, does INRIX make a fair comparison? In Miami's case INRIX is analyzing highways that are very far away from downtown Miami. When you are stuck in gridlock traffic 7 miles from downtown is there any comfort that the highways near Fort Pierce are traveling smoothly over 100 miles away? On the other hand, the Minneapolis network that was rated is very concentrated and only branch out about 25 miles from the city center.

I think the biggest problem is defining the size of a metro region for these rankings. What would be a better method? It's just hard to believe that Miami is ranked right next to Denver in traffic congestion.
tradephoric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #7843
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Harbor Freeway in Los Angeles:

jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #7844
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Minneapolis and Boston have problems because of the use of cloverleaf interchanges and the lack of replacing them with weaveless(that a word?) interchanges. A look at satelite photos of these areas will show an abundance of cloverleaf interchanges which do not work well on busy roads.
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #7845
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Quite a number of those Minneapolis locations have only 2 lanes each way.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #7846
tradephoric

Likes (Received): 24

A more accurate comparison would be to analyze the congestion within a 25 mile radius of the city center. The highest average commute time of any major American city is in Nashville with an average commute of 25.2 miles (road miles driven, not as the bird flies). Basically your average American commuter isn't willing to drive 25 miles to get to work so why analyze highways that are over 100 miles away from downtown Miami to determine Miami's congestion rating?

Rating the highways within the shaded 25 mile radius of the two cities would lead to a closer apples to apples comparison.

tradephoric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #7847
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-70 in Kansas City.

image hosted on flickr

122711_I70WB_DSC_0166.pic by MoDOT KC 4, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

122711_I70EB_DSC_0163.pic by MoDOT KC 4, on Flickr
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #7848
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10376

For some reason, the new arrows don't look right to me. I guess it takes some getting used to.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #7849
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

the design is poor, it makes it look like you can get to Wichita from both middle and right through lanes
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #7850
ChrisZwolle
Road user

But if you divide the two destinations, it looks like Topeka can only be reached via the leftmost lanes, which is not true either.
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #7851
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
But if you divide the two destinations, it looks like Topeka can only be reached via the leftmost lanes, which is not true either.
It actually make sense to suggest using leftmost lanes for Topeka as the right lanes will be used by the exiting/joining traffic.
I find American signage very logical. You have to read it from right to left. First destinations exiting now (here Des Moines), the one to the left goes next (in this case Wichita) and destination on the left hand side (Topeka) is straight on. Simple.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #7852
geor

Likes (Received): 16

Little by little Americans begin to use EU standard for directing traffic flows on MW. That is the way how the Old Continent has been functioning for years and there are not problems with those arrows, not at all.
geor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #7853
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Kansas City, arguably the US metro best served with highways in the whole country!
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #7854
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

I have to agree with Crazyknightsfan's criticism, which actually gets at the heart of an unanticipated problem with arrow-per-lane diagrammatics. Diagrammatics in general are meant to incorporate information for the straight-ahead direction and at most one exit. They become very difficult to design when they are required to incorporate information for multiple exits.

In this particular case, the sign encourages Topeka-bound traffic to make unnecessary lane changes to the left to avoid putative lane drops for Wichita when in fact all three lanes go through to Topeka. If an arrow-per-lane diagrammatic is to be used at this exit, then this problem can be fixed only by eliminating Wichita from the sign altogether. But such a solution would cause other problems because the exits for Des Moines and Wichita are closely spaced and the Wichita exit needs advance signing. If this is provided downstream of the Des Moines exit, it is too close to the ramp. If it is provided upstream of the Des Moines exit, it might confuse Wichita-bound drivers into taking the Des Moines exit because Wichita is the "next" exit (it is fairly unusual for consecutive exits to have overlapping advance guide signing). (The alternate remedy of adding a distance to the Wichita block, to indicate that it is a destination reached by exiting, would not answer the problem of false lane assignment.)

The new arrow-per-lane diagrammatics don't handle multiple closely spaced exits well. And since they can be exit direction signs as well, unlike the old stippled-arrow diagrammatics which were advance guide signs only, the problem is even worse.

Fortunately, in this case, the MUTCD does not actually require an arrow-per-lane diagrammatic. Such diagrammatics are actually required only for major interchanges that (1) have an exit with option lane that carries the through route or (2) involve splits with an option lane. In this particular case, I-70/I-435 is a major interchange, and it has an exit with an option lane, but the use of an arrow-per-lane diagrammatic is not required because the exit does not carry the through route (which is I-70 in this case) and this interchange is not a split.

So, here a diagrammatic is an option, not a requirement, and since it is one that causes problems as currently designed, it would be better to substitute different signs. Here is what I would recommend:

* Final advance guide sign gantry before both Exits 8A and 8B (left to right): (1) Pull-through for I-70 westbound/Topeka, (2) advance guide sign for I-435 southbound/Wichita (1/2 mile), (3) lane drop advance guide sign for I-435 northbound/Des Moines (lane drop advance guide signs don't have to have a distance if the exit is less than 1/4 mile away)

* Exit gantry for Exit 8B (left to right): (1) Pull-through sign for I-70/Topeka; (2) advance guide sign for I-435/Wichita (1/4 mile): (3) two-lane lane-drop exit direction sign for I-435/Des Moines

* Exit gantry for Exit 8A: Same as existing installation.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #7855
geor

When there is one lane for straight on and right turning it is only way to use these arrows

Last edited by geor; March 1st, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
geor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:20 AM   #7856
myosh_tino

To put JN Winkler's post into graphical form...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler View Post
* Final advance guide sign gantry before both Exits 8A and 8B (left to right): (1) Pull-through for I-70 westbound/Topeka, (2) advance guide sign for I-435 southbound/Wichita (1/2 mile), (3) lane drop advance guide sign for I-435 northbound/Des Moines (lane drop advance guide signs don't have to have a distance if the exit is less than 1/4 mile away)

Quote:
* Exit gantry for Exit 8B (left to right): (1) Pull-through sign for I-70/Topeka; (2) advance guide sign for I-435/Wichita (1/4 mile): (3) two-lane lane-drop exit direction sign for I-435/Des Moines

I found that photo of the I-70/I-435 guide signs very interesting because this particular signing situation is quite common in California and if (and it's a big IF) California adopts the arrow-per-lane signage, I was curious to see how they would handle this situation.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:33 AM   #7857
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

This discussion makes my head hurt.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:37 AM   #7858
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

I can see argument for precision but don't you guys exaggerate with such splitting hair in four (as we say in Polish)?

The current signage honestly doesn't seems wrong to me, I definitely wouldn't get lost. OK, I did drive a lot in the US but how many stranded first time European tourists do you expect in Kansas City? For most Americans the currents signs are quite easy to understand.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 03:47 AM   #7859
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 15130

I-40 in Nashville

image hosted on flickr

I-40 West at Exit 213 - Nashville by Adam's Journey, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

I-40 West - Exit 204B&A - TN 155 Briley Parkway by Adam's Journey, on Flickr

This interchange is now complete

image hosted on flickr

Nashville International Airport (BNA) Exit by riffsyphon1024, on Flickr

I-40 near the airport

I-40/I-24 Interchange
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:01 AM   #7860
myosh_tino

Quote:
Fortunately, in this case, the MUTCD does not actually require an arrow-per-lane diagrammatic. Such diagrammatics are actually required only for major interchanges that (1) have an exit with option lane that carries the through route or (2) involve splits with an option lane. In this particular case, I-70/I-435 is a major interchange, and it has an exit with an option lane, but the use of an arrow-per-lane diagrammatic is not required because the exit does not carry the through route (which is I-70 in this case) and this interchange is not a split.
Wait a minute. The I-70/I-435 North exit, where the arrow-per-lane sign is installed does have an option lane that carries the through route. The #3 lane (counting from the left) IS an option lane for I-70 or I-435 North. In that case, isn't an arrow-per-lane sign required per the 2009 MUTCD Sec 2E.20?
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban