daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #7881
SkyView

Likes (Received): 13

Solar panels against south bound sound barriers might be a better idea...
SkyView no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #7882
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

News from Bloomington, IN - Re: I-69

It looks like the aging flower-children in the Bloomington, IN area have finally given up and placed I-69 into their local transport plans. Yes, INDOT was quite heavily laying the pressure on them to do so.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...-i-69-section/

Bloomington, IN, home of the Indiana University Hoosiers, is a place that is on a socio-political level with Berkeley, CA, Madison, WI, Ithaca, NY, Cambridge, MA and so forth. Some of the comments in that article are priceless!

Bloomington is located about a third of the way from Indianapolis and Evansville, IN, along the routing of the under-construction I-69.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #7883
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

It surprises me that a big college city like Bloomington isn't on the IH system. From Google Maps, it doesn't even look like it's connected by freeway to any other IN cities.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #7884
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
It looks like the aging flower-children in the Bloomington, IN area have finally given up and placed I-69 into their local transport plans. Yes, INDOT was quite heavily laying the pressure on them to do so.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...-i-69-section/

Bloomington, IN, home of the Indiana University Hoosiers, is a place that is on a socio-political level with Berkeley, CA, Madison, WI, Ithaca, NY, Cambridge, MA and so forth. Some of the comments in that article are priceless!

Bloomington is located about a third of the way from Indianapolis and Evansville, IN, along the routing of the under-construction I-69.

Mike
What's wrong with being on the same socio-political level as the cities you mentioned? Those are some of the most educated, wealthy, and culturally diverse places in the country and WORLD- far better than being an unknown hick backwater.

Who the hell are you to frame opposition to this highway as the product of some aging hippies? The people of Monroe County and Bloomington appreciate clean air and water and a relative lack of traffic congestion. I-69 destroys a lot of that.

The Evansville Courier-Press has been shameful in their coverage of this issue. They act like spoiled brats and expect Bloomington to submit to their demands for a quicker drive to Indianapolis even though their city will experience none of the negative effects of the construction of the interstate. The people that post on that site are certifiable, bloodthirsty lunatics that articulate what passes for mainstream conservative thought nowadays- an expression of desire for those of different political persuasions to suffer physical harm and death, no concern for the welfare of the environment, and complete ideological inconsistency (supporting a three BILLION dollar taxpayer funded boondoggle while simultaneously railing against government spending).
Old March 11th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #7885
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
It surprises me that a big college city like Bloomington isn't on the IH system. From Google Maps, it doesn't even look like it's connected by freeway to any other IN cities.
It isn't on the path between Indianapolis and any other large city. If an interstate wasn't on the national route map in the 1960s it is going to take awhile to get built because the feds aren't providing 90% of the construction costs anymore.
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #7886
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Where would our nation, and our World for that matter, be if the only people who we ever listened to on transport issues was the NIMBY crowd, especially the snooty, holier-that-thou, pointy-head elitists who infest college towns?

I-69 is an important corridor for interstate and international commerce and here, sometimes things like that happen. One cannot live in a protected, isolated 'bubble'. And besides, I-69 will not be taking a city street routing though the area, it will be using *the already existing, upgradable IN 37 expressway/freeway*.

Sometimes, for the greater good of the most people, it must be "Damn torpedoes, FULL SPEED AHEAD!".

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; March 11th, 2012 at 07:28 AM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #7887
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The people of Monroe County and Bloomington appreciate clean air and water and a relative lack of traffic congestion. I-69 destroys a lot of that.
In case you didn't notice, we do not live in the 1960's anymore.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #7888
hoosier

Quote:
Where would our nation, and our World for that matter, be if the only people who we ever listened to on transport issues was the NIMBY crowd, especially the snooty, holier-that-thou, pointy-head elitists who infest college towns?

I-69 is an important corridor for interstate and international commerce and here, sometimes things like that happen. One cannot live in a protected, isolated 'bubble'. And besides, I-69 will not be taking a city street routing though the area, it will be using *the already existing, upgradable IN 37 expressway/freeway*.
Typical reich-wing talking points. Anyone with extensive education is an "elitist." Anyone who THINKS is "snooty."

Who the **** are you to label an entire group of people in such a manner?

I can tell you if liberal college educated people ran this country it would have universal healthcare, a clean environment, and excellent public transportation- it would look a lot like the Scandinavian countries that rank on the top of every human development index ranking.

If dipshits like you ran this country it would look like Mississippi.
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #7889
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Yay, let's have this argument again!

Quote:

Sometimes, for the greater good of the most people, it must be "Damn torpedoes, FULL SPEED AHEAD!".

Mike
Sometimes, but not always. The mere existence of opposition, even selfish, NIMBY opposition, doesn't prove that a project is worthwhile. Building unneeded roads (or other stuff) in order to annoy people you don't like is poor public policy, and sometimes people do the right things for the wrong reasons-- or the wrong things for the right reasons.

IMO, it's incumbent upon the citizens and leaders of Bloomington to consider the interests of other communities when deciding whether or not to include I-69 in their regional plan. Conversely, other communities owe the same consideration to Bloomington. If the "snooty, holier-that-thou, pointy-head elitists who infest" Bloomington supported a viable passenger rail link to their city, it wouldn't be very sporting of residents of other parts of the state to automatically oppose it just because they don't like rail or the people who support it.

I'm no expert on I-69, nor do I intend to become one. Still, it's obvious to me that I-69 will have a variety of effects on the communities through which it passes, and the communities have an interests in leveraging the positive effects and mitigating the negative ones. Which brings me to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
In case you didn't notice, we do not live in the 1960's anymore.
Yes, I'm sure that the residents of Bloomington are very much aware of that. Since the 1960's, auto-oriented sprawl has become pervasive, and there are severe limits to what a community can do to avoid it, especially if a new Interstate highway is to be introduced. I-69 will introduce a significant amount of through traffic to the corridor and increase the viability (both absolute and relative) of highway-oriented development sites that are remote from the city's core and therefore difficult to provide with effective non-automotive access. Even though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920
And besides, I-69 will not be taking a city street routing though the area, it will be using *the already existing, upgradable IN 37 expressway/freeway*.
that doesn't mean that there won't be impacts, and the residents of Bloomington are right to be concerned about them.

Having said all of that, IMO the way that this issue should've played out is that the antis raise their voices in opposition, then, after a robust and elucidating debate, get modestly overruled by the community at large after winning some helpful changes to the plan. On the face of it, that doesn't seem terribly different from what actually happened-- assuming that the debate was, in fact, elucidating. The degree of name-calling suggests otherwise, though.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #7890
apinamies

Likes (Received): 722

Quote:
Typical reich-wing talking points. Anyone with extensive education is an "elitist." Anyone who THINKS is "snooty."

Who the **** are you to label an entire group of people in such a manner?

I can tell you if liberal college educated people ran this country it would have universal healthcare, a clean environment, and excellent public transportation- it would look a lot like the Scandinavian countries that rank on the top of every human development index ranking.

If dipshits like you ran this country it would look like Mississippi.
Mississippi is not bad at all.
apinamies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #7891
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

HOV lanes appear to be called "express" in Hawaii.

image hosted on flickr

H1 by fusionpanda, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #7892
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
It isn't on the path between Indianapolis and any other large city. If an interstate wasn't on the national route map in the 1960s it is going to take awhile to get built because the feds aren't providing 90% of the construction costs anymore.
It is on the route between Indianapolis and Evansville. There should at least be a state freeway/expressway. (And there may already be. Google Maps does a bad job of differentiating between a two-lane undivided highway and a dual-carriageway expressway.)
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #7893
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
HOV lanes appear to be called "express" in Hawaii.

image hosted on flickr

H1 by fusionpanda, on Flickr
I don't like how the white highway shield disappears with the white background. They should have put a black border so it's visible, and made the sign bigger so it's less 'crowded'.
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #7894
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Yes, but Hawaii is not known for its road signage.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #7895
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Winter storm closes 180 miles of I-40 in Arizona

From CNN

Quote:
A winter storm packing heavy snow and gusty winds forced authorities to close 180 miles of Interstate 40 in northern Arizona on Sunday until further notice.

(...) The closure stretched roughly from Kingman in western Arizona to eastward to Winslow, including the city of Flagstaff, he said.

Portions of Interstate 17 south of Flagstaff were also closed, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation's website, as were several state roads.
As of 9 a.m. Sunday, Flagstaff -- with an elevation of about 6,900 feet -- had received 10 to 14 inches of snow, according to the National Weather Service. The city of Prescott had received 8 to 12 inches. Areas above 7,000 feet could see up to 22 inches, according to the weather service.

Several crashes and reports of stuck vehicles had been reported as of Sunday morning, Beck said, with one person sustaining minor injuries on I-40.

(...)
Old March 19th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #7896
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Snow in Arizona and record heat in the Midwest and Northeast. This has become one crazy spring so far and it hasn't technically started yet.

180 miles closing is huge, I wonder if that's the longest length of a highway closed before.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #7897
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Green power coming to a freeway near you?

Concept is from 2007 but kinda interesting nonetheless.
Good idea but portion of road need to close when maintanance
khoojyh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #7898
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoojyh View Post
But that's also the case when they change signs and other things. Maybe they can try to sync the maintenence on these things with regular maintenance?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:27 PM   #7899
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoojyh View Post
It is a terrible idea.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:36 PM   #7900
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Snow in Arizona and record heat in the Midwest and Northeast. This has become one crazy spring so far and it hasn't technically started yet.

180 miles closing is huge, I wonder if that's the longest length of a highway closed before.
Snow is nothing unusual in Northern Arizona.

The average snowfall for Flagstaff in January is 20.4 in (51.8cm).
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban