daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:33 PM   #7901
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 5100

Fans of toll roads may be happy to hear that Arkansas is studying a toll option to expand and modernize I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis. Those not a fan of toll roads will likely not be very happy, including the trucking industry.

I-40 is not particularly busy, and carries 30,000 - 40,000 vehicles per day outside the metropolitan areas, but the truck percentage is one of the highest in the nation, exceeding 50 and even 60% between Little Rock and Memphis.

http://www.kuar.org/kuarnews/53915-s...toll-road.html

my clinched highways • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 24th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #7902
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 21816

Dallas freeways

image hosted on flickr

Skyline by the urban fabric, on Flickr
Old March 26th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #7903
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarneGator View Post
Oh, Dallas is trying, but to do what? One need not do much to improve the aesthetics a - make the columns hexagonal, make the hammerhead column-top more visually organic to its pillar, make all of the girders trapezoidal steel-boxes, etc - because function will always define structures like these. Why make a garish, superficial display when modifying elements of the engineering can deliver a visually pleasing impact?
The fly-overs between I-95 / I-195 in Providence or between I-10 / Sam Houston Tollway in Houston look great even though they have less. Or, as I mentioned before, if you prefer the all-concrete approach, look at some of what's been built in California. (not mine)

Haha! I didn't want to the be the one to say it!

Anyway, that's the last I'll make mention of this. Carry on, lads!
insult and run?
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #7904
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Fans of toll roads may be happy to hear that Arkansas is studying a toll option to expand and modernize I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis. Those not a fan of toll roads will likely not be very happy, including the trucking industry.

I-40 is not particularly busy, and carries 30,000 - 40,000 vehicles per day outside the metropolitan areas, but the truck percentage is one of the highest in the nation, exceeding 50 and even 60% between Little Rock and Memphis.

http://www.kuar.org/kuarnews/53915-s...toll-road.html
There's no way it'll happen. Still, I've often wondered how little Arkansas could expect to fund I-49 and I-69 on top of maintaining and improving the rest of its road system.

I-40 there is quite old-- you can see on Google that most of it has the narrow median of early Interstates. I suppose it needs not only widening but reconstruction of the pavement and bridges.

Oh: 30-40,000 vpd is plenty busy for a rural highway in the US. I wonder if that's actual count or passenger vehicle equivalents.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #7905
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
It is a terrible idea.
I do not think so, if cover all the expressway with this thing, that's the bad idea with few pieces in few km is good ideal.
khoojyh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #7906
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 419

Those pictures go here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CITYofDREAMS View Post

The hurricane Ioke liked this post
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #7907
dima4444

Likes (Received): 13

yes:
dima4444 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #7908
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 6188

these pictures above is a bus lane ???

ow

Vinicius de Moraes

xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #7909
Suburbanist
on the road

Location: the nod between Breda, Eindhoven and 's-Hertogenbosch
Likes (Received): 7243

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post
these pictures above is a bus lane ???

ow
No, they are HOT/HOV lanes (high-occupancy toll / high-occupancy vehicle). In a nutshell, lanes accessible only by cars with a 2 or 3 people, or those for which a toll (electronically collected) is due in case a single-occupancy car is driven there.
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #7910
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 6188

humm

E eu achando que era uma chique linha de BRT.

Vinicius de Moraes

xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #7911
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is a bus station at the lowest level on I-110 though. It connects with the light rail in the median of I-105, two levels higher.

Old April 6th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #7912
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
No, they are HOT/HOV lanes (high-occupancy toll / high-occupancy vehicle). In a nutshell, lanes accessible only by cars with a 2 or 3 people, or those for which a toll (electronically collected) is due in case a single-occupancy car is driven there.
If you are referring to the I-105/I-110 interchange photos above, the ramps that drop down in the middle of the freeway are HOV ramps for cars carrying 2 ore more people. I do not believe solo drivers can buy their way into these lanes by paying a toll yet.

Up here in northern California, the HOV direct connector ramps at the I-880/CA-237 interchange in Milpitas, CA were converted into express lanes (another term for HOT lanes) to allow solo driver to use the lane for a fee.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #7913
Paddington
Freddy Fazbear's Pizza

Likes (Received): 825

Lexus lanes, LMAO.

I'm so glad this part of the country has none of that HOV lane foolishness.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #7914
JackFrost

Likes (Received): 1385

Hello guys,

I am gonna make a 3 week roundtrip through the US in August this year. We are planning to rent a trailer, so we dont have to look for a hotel or a motel all the time.

Our route will be as follows: New York City - Niagara Falls - Cleveland - Detroit - Chicago - Omaha - Denver - Salt Lake City - San Francisco - Los Angeles - Las Vegas - Alboquerque - Dallas - New Orleans - Tampa - Miami - Savannah - Washington D.C - Philadelphia - New York City

What do you think, is it possible to make that trip in 3 weeks, with stops also in national parks like the Niagara Falls or the Great Salt Desert, Grand Canyon etc?

Is it allowed to stop everywhere I want with my trailer over night to sleep? I dont mean next to the road of course, but if I find some parking lot then its OK to stop and sleep there, right?

Thanks for any help.
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #7915
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Lexus lanes, LMAO.

I'm so glad this part of the country has none of that HOV lane foolishness.
How's Jimmy Hoffa's column holding up on the Lodge Freeway?
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #7916
Suburbanist
on the road

Location: the nod between Breda, Eindhoven and 's-Hertogenbosch
Likes (Received): 7243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
Hello guys,

I am gonna make a 3 week roundtrip through the US in August this year. We are planning to rent a trailer, so we dont have to look for a hotel or a motel all the time.

Our route will be as follows: New York City - Niagara Falls - Cleveland - Detroit - Chicago - Omaha - Denver - Salt Lake City - San Francisco - Los Angeles - Las Vegas - Alboquerque - Dallas - New Orleans - Tampa - Miami - Savannah - Washington D.C - Philadelphia - New York City

What do you think, is it possible to make that trip in 3 weeks, with stops also in national parks like the Niagara Falls or the Great Salt Desert, Grand Canyon etc?

Is it allowed to stop everywhere I want with my trailer over night to sleep? I dont mean next to the road of course, but if I find some parking lot then its OK to stop and sleep there, right?

Thanks for any help.
I think trailers and motorhomes are sometimes not allowed within certain cities, but I"m not exactly sure agbout that.
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #7917
Paddington
Freddy Fazbear's Pizza

Likes (Received): 825

It's an ambitious trip. Navigating an RV or a vehicle with a trailer will be difficult in places like New York City, and you may need to travel outside the city and pay for a parking spot somewhere.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #7918
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's quite ambitious indeed. You're looking at two weeks of driving 600 miles / 1000 kilometers every day and one week left over for sightseeing. It's about 8,000 miles if you drive the shortest route, but if you want to go out of your way to visit some national parks "nearby", you're looking at 9,000 miles or more.

A lot of people are under the impression you can drive from LA and visit the Grand Canyon and drive back in one day, but tend to forget the Grand Canyon is a good 8 hours from Los Angeles (one way), if traffic cooperates.

Old April 8th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #7919
JackFrost

Likes (Received): 1385

well if we run out of time, we'll cut the Miami "detour" and go straight from New Orleans to Washington D.C. to catch the plane back to Europe.

but it should be possible to do that trip in 3 weeks, apart from the mentioned national parks I am also having Mount Rushmore in mind to visit, which is not exactly on our route. And we gonna take a closer look on "only" 7 cities: New York, San Francisco, L.A. Las Vegas, New Orleans, Miami and Wahington D.C.

like I said my only concern is where to stop with the RV over night.
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #7920
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

You can park an RV overnight in any Walmart parking lot. That doesn't help in large cities like NY or SF where you have to either find an RV campground like KOA outside of town or take your chances parking on the street. State parks charge money but are cheaper than private RV parks or hotels. Check state parks around SF, DC (Northern VA) and LA. You can Walmart it in Vegas.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban