daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #7961
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I also hate driving in Florida except on the long bridges lol. Actually I-10 in north Florida is very hilly going west. I also live 100ft above sea level and I'm only a few miles from the water so I live on a giant hill. =P But obviously I meant in another state, I'm going to the mountains tomorrow will be at 5500ft at one point.
That stretch of 10 surprised me. I had no idea Florida had hills and rolling terrain like that. It was nice.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #7962
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

The Sunshine Skyway Bridge turns 25 today. It opened to traffic on April 20th, 1987, after the original bridge (1954) collapsed in 1980.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #7963
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Are those round things to break the flow of water?
Old April 20th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #7964
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Probably to deflect ships that are out of their course.
Old April 20th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #7965
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

those circle objects are called dolphins and as Chriszwolle identified they stop/deflect large out of control vessels from hitting the bridge.
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:54 AM   #7966
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

Which is a good idea, because the original collapse was due to a ship striking a support
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:02 AM   #7967
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Sunshine Skyway Bridge turns 25 today. It opened to traffic on April 20th, 1987, after the original bridge (1954) collapsed in 1980.
Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Are those round things to break the flow of water?
Quote:
Probably to deflect ships that are out of their course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
those circle objects are called dolphins and as Chriszwolle identified they stop/deflect large out of control vessels from hitting the bridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scba View Post
Which is a good idea, because the original collapse was due to a ship striking a support
Yes, I remember the day the new Sunshine Skyway Bridge opened to traffic. The dedication ceremonies were held in February 1987 and the new bridge opened two months later in April 1987.

My Sunshine Skyway page at Interstate275Florida.com has all the details, including pictures of the dedication ceremony and the open house where everyone got to walk the new bridge for the first (and only) time. After all, the new Sunshine Skyway is a part of Interstate 275 and US 19.

Two years later, the approach highways leading to the new Sunshine Skyway were reconstructed to interstate highway standards enabling Interstate 275 to be completed in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area, save for the twin set of drawbridges (Structure A) which were demolished and replaced with high level bridges similar in height to the Howard Frankland Bridge in 1994.

The original 1954 Sunshine Skyway did have a fender system to deter wayward ships. It was taken down in 1971 when the southbound span - the bridge that was hit by the Summit Venture in 1980 - was opened due to extensive disrepair. The Florida DOT at the time decided to use clusters of wooden piles secured by a steel cable on either side of the main channel support piers of the old Sunshine Skyway.

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:07 AM   #7968
Squiggles

Likes (Received): 22

Went to Milwaukee yesterday and took a few pictures along the way. Pardon the quality; I was riding in the back seat for part of the trip.

Interstate 39/90/94 north of Madison

Roadwork ahead where I-39/90/94 intersects U.S. 51. The bridge is being repaired, I believe.

Exit to U.S. 151 and the east side of Madison

8+ lanes of I-39/90/94 approaching the Badger Interchange, where I-94 breaks off in a more easterly direction and WI-30 spurs into eastern Madison

The Badger Interchange

I-94 in rural Jefferson County, east of Madison.

I-94 in Waukesha County, suburban Milwaukee

I wanted a few shots of the Marquette interchange, but unfortunately our route didn't take us that way. Maybe next time.
Squiggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:53 PM   #7969
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Those are pretty good shots considering they were taken from the backseat of a car! Mustn't have been using your cell phone.
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:46 PM   #7970
HAWC1506

Likes (Received): 28

Is it me, or do American highways have tighter (and shorter) curves than European highways?

Most European highways I've seen have long, gradual curves with a big radius that makes driving feel safer and more comfortable.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:52 PM   #7971
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The main difference appears to be the usage of tunnels in hilly and mountainous areas. European freeways have many more tunnels, straightening them out, while roads like I-40 in North Carolina, I-5 in Oregon or I-77 in West Virginia are very twisty.
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:52 PM   #7972
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506 View Post
Is it me, or do American highways have tighter (and shorter) curves than European highways?

Most European highways I've seen have long, gradual curves with a big radius that makes driving feel safer and more comfortable.
Depends on the state and when that particular stretch of interstate was built. Post-1970 interstates have the standards that European motorways do as far as curvature and other aspects of engineering go. I-75 between Chattanooga and Atlanta is a good example.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:16 AM   #7973
Squiggles

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Those are pretty good shots considering they were taken from the backseat of a car! Mustn't have been using your cell phone.
I have a Nikon D40. I cropped the images so you can't see the dashboard or the rearview mirror reflecting my brother's very ugly hat.
Squiggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM   #7974
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWC1506

It can be hard to judge that by looking at photos. A good telephoto lens will significantly alter the severity of the curve relative to a flatter lens.

Some curves are sharper than others tho
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #7975
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
The main difference appears to be the usage of tunnels in hilly and mountainous areas. European freeways have many more tunnels, straightening them out, while roads like I-40 in North Carolina, I-5 in Oregon or I-77 in West Virginia are very twisty.
That differs per country. Most motorways in mainland Europe do have more tunnels, but we do have a lot of twisty motorways, with steep crawler lanes for freight. In Germany, the A3 between Köln and Frankfurt is a good example, but also the A5 at Kassel and the A8 between Munich and Salzburg. France has its share, especially in the Auvergne, and in the UK, they don`t know any different. (M25 north, M1 Yorkshire, M20 in Kent are good examples)
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #7976
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Why should those euro's have all that construction fun... fear not:
Quote:
I decided to take a vacation day on Friday to check out progress on I-69. I am not an expert, but I am having a hard time seeing how the SR 68 to US 231 section will open in 2012 as scheduled. I decided to venture down some gravel roads and covered the entire length (as much as possible).

Starting at SR 37 in Bloomington, the first sign of construction was at SR 445 where a lot of trees have been cut and earth moving has begun. The second sign was where I-69 crosses SR 45 where a lot of earth has been moved. I did not go down any backroads in this newest section. The next point I saw was at US 231, and from there on I spent more time. Below are some pictures - these are all from areas that are well underway. I will try to post some where the road is not as far along in another post.

US 231 at I-69 - the deck is not in place on this overpass

Asphalt paving in Daviess County north of Washington

PCCP paving near Washington (just north of US 50)

US 50 new eastbound lanes at I-69

SR 64 at I-69
original quote by user mukade link: http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.p...8586#msg148586
Images courtesy of HighwayExplorer.com

Last edited by brewerfan386; May 18th, 2012 at 05:03 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #7977
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

part 2
Quote:
The scale of this project is amazing. I thought 70 -80 miles was long, but when you see all the men and machinery operating along the whole length of this thing, the scale sinks in. I think this would be considered a long project even by 1960s and early 1970s standards as even then it was common to see 20-30 mile sections being built at a time.

This is where I am seeing a problem as so much paving will have to be done over so many miles toward the tail end of this year. Not much of the road is yet paved today. A lot of the road isn't even close to final grade and some of it is still in earth-moving stages. Most bridges are well along, but some are barely started. If this opens up in 2012, it will be pretty amazing, but on the other hand a lot has changed since my last look at it in late October, 2011.

Part 2 of I-69 photos follows.

I-69 at SR 56/SR 61 near Petersburg. This overpass has a ways to go.

Overpass over railway tracks near Elnora

Looking north in northern Daviess County (south of SR 58)

Digging out bad soil in Gibson County

Overpass over railway tracks just north of US 50 in Washington

Looking where the road makes a turn toward the east near Elnora, IN
original quote by user mukade link: http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.p...4855.msg148659
Images courtesy of HighwayExplorer.com
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #7978
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

I-30 and US 59 stack at Texarkana TX

image hosted on flickr

US 59 stack by jczart, on Flickr
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #7979
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

I-95 thru Jacksonville (sorry if repost)

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #7980
bogdymol
bogdymod

via airliners.net
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban