daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #781
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Quote:
This is an obvious advantage over European local highways because the latter will almost never become motorways.
Yeah it definatly is. We are stuck on crowded one lane roads for miles. An exeption is Belgium, where a lot of roads are 4laned outside the Motorway network.

Well, i like that most Interstates near cities have 4 or 5 lanes per direction. We are always stuck on 2 or maybe 3 lanes per direction, even near big cities.

US Interstates have a much better quantity, but i'm not sure about the quality. We do have narrow roads, but the quality of them is usually very good.

But i think i'd rather have more lanes and flowing traffic, than looking on the same piece of asphalt for hours in a traffic jam.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #782
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

There is a keep right law in The Netherlands too, and it is followed quite good on 2x2 motorways, but the more lanes it has, the less it is followed.

We have a 2x5 lanes stretch southwest of Amsterdam, and some people are driving like 90km/h on the 4th lane, while being overtaken on the right side. In The Netherlands, there is a fine on that.

We call such guys "left-stickers". (Dutch: linksplakkers).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #783
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
Because it's easier to enforce speeding laws, and they bring in more revenue.
Some states like CO, IL, and lately FL is starting to enforce this law(i think).
IMO, left lane bandits are biggest threats to driver's safety in freeways.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #784
pilotos
καταχωρημένος χρήστης

Likes (Received): 12

Greek drivers and lane discipline: "What did you said?", probably an unknown sentence for a high percent of us.
Several times i meet someone driving slow in the left lane, if the road is 3 laned most likely they will use the 2nd lane and the 3rd the 1st is like it doesn't exist.
pilotos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #785
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Some states like CO, IL, and lately FL is starting to enforce this law(i think).
IMO, left lane bandits are biggest threats to driver's safety in freeways.
FL would need to the most with all the old people driving. I know it's state law to keep right in IL, but I never saw it enforced when I was living in Chicago earlier this year (I'll be moving back in August). But then again, it seems drivers up there actually do have better lane discipline.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #786
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
these signs are pretty rare, aren' they?

Those signs can only be found in airport grounds, ports/harbor grounds, government-owned grounds (local and federal) and maybe military grounds and but I am not sure of that. Need someone to clarify please
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #787
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

I thnk it is pretty well followed in Germany, on the 2x2 highways, there are only a few fast drivers who don'T want to switch the lane so often. on the 2x3 highways, you can find some undisciplinated drivers on the middle lane, and on the few 2x4 stretches, the left lane is sometimes really empty (maybe beacuse most germans are not used to wide highways since there are only a few kilometers of 2x4 stretches in the whole country).

overtaking on the right side is strictly forbidden.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #788
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Can i know if overtaking on the right lame is allowed in your coutries, i don´t know for bulgaria, there is too few traffic there for motorways, the next car is usually 100+ m away so i did not watch this.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #789
arriaca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 91

See min 1:20

arriaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #790
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

Well imo the major Interstates like I-90 and I-80 are in really good shape.

I went on the I-81 from I-90 to I-80, it was in great shape, but it was a pain to drive on in the middle of Thunderstorm at night in fog.

However some highways are in terrible shape, like I-95 outside NYC, I-80 when you get to New York city. Actually ever highway in the major cities in the east are very crappy compared in rural areas.
The worst highway i was on was the I-381. It was like driving alone, in a post apocalyptic world. Didn't see a single sole for 25 miles but we were finally able to drive really fast like 85 mph. However we stayed at the speed limit on the other highways especially I-90.
Old June 9th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #791
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Well, I-80 is really really long, mate It might be good somewhere near the Great Lakes or toward the East Coast, but in Sierra Nevada it has the worst pavement quality I have ever seen on a motorway.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #792
Alex Von Königsberg

Cool film! I think they should translate it into English and play on American TV at least 3 times a day Except Oregon, maybe...
Old June 9th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #793
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4714

In France, almost 90 % of drivers follow the rule on 2x2 lanes motorways. But, when there is 3 lanes, more than 50 % drive on the center lane. If there is 4 of 5 lanes, it become a big shit.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #794
Alex Von Königsberg

Nah, French drivers are OK on autoroutes. I still remember following a Dutch driver in Normandie who did not want to move over. I even thought maybe it was an American touristo hiding behind Dutch number plates
Old June 10th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #795
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotos View Post
Greek drivers and lane discipline: "What did you said?", probably an unknown sentence for a high percent of us.
Several times i meet someone driving slow in the left lane, if the road is 3 laned most likely they will use the 2nd lane and the 3rd the 1st is like it doesn't exist.
Do they at least yield to the right if you tailgate, flash you lights, or use you left turn signal? Driving slow in left lane is bad enough, not moving over is a bigger crime.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #796
Astralis
Out of time

Likes (Received): 26

In Croatia most of the drivers follow that rule. Anyway we don't have any 2x3 highways but it will be constructed very soon. Then we'll see if we have a multi lane discipline ...
Astralis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #797
spacie

Likes (Received): 0

New Zealand doesn't as much as it would be nice - most people sit in the centre lanes, and often people go for Sunday drives in the passing lane/fast lane.

The signs that say 'Slow Vehicles Use Left Lane' don't work because no one considers themselves as a slow driver. Bring back the old 'Keep Left Unless Passing' signs and enforce it.
spacie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #798
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

In Ontario, I rarely see a left lane hog on our highways. Very rare.

This is of course on 4 lane highways (2 in each direction)

When it is 6 lanes, then it is a bit different, but the left most lane often is left open for the fastest vehicles.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #799
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMandeep View Post
Well imo the major Interstates like I-90 and I-80 are in really good shape.

I went on the I-81 from I-90 to I-80, it was in great shape, but it was a pain to drive on in the middle of Thunderstorm at night in fog.

However some highways are in terrible shape, like I-95 outside NYC, I-80 when you get to New York city. Actually ever highway in the major cities in the east are very crappy compared in rural areas.
The worst highway i was on was the I-381. It was like driving alone, in a post apocalyptic world. Didn't see a single sole for 25 miles but we were finally able to drive really fast like 85 mph. However we stayed at the speed limit on the other highways especially I-90.
Ohh nice, you drove from Toronto to NYC through the Niagara crossing, am I correct? I'm going to drive that same route next week. Any suggestions? Hopefully I'll be able to take some pictures along the way and share them with you guys. It's actually going to be my first time in the US.

@Alex: we both have exactly 270 posts at this point
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #800
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Ohh nice, you drove from Toronto to NYC through the Niagara crossing, am I correct? I'm going to drive that same route next week. Any suggestions? Hopefully I'll be able to take some pictures along the way and share them with you guys. It's actually going to be my first time in the US.

@Alex: we both have exactly 270 posts at this point
I would avoid the NYSThruway - *BORING!*.

Instead cross over from Buffalo to I-86/NY 17 (US 219 is a good way) and follow that to the NYC area. INFINITELY BETTER SCENERY (and no tolls)!

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban