daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #7981
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

WOW GREAT picture how did you get the timing so good, your plane maybe.

"Brewerfan386" very nice photos on the construction I 69

I love to drive on american highways just incredible roads, probably the best highways in the world

More construction photos please

THANKS

Last edited by Tommy Boy; May 19th, 2012 at 03:59 AM.
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #7982
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
WOW GREAT picture how did you get the timing so good, your plane maybe.

"Brewerfan386" very nice photos on the construction I 69
It looks quite Romanian to me, except the median is wider and bridge piers aren't as interesting.

Quote:
More construction photos please

THANKS
Not from me, LOL.

Earlier this week I drove I-20 east of Atlanta for the first time in a while, and I noticed that work is underway between I-285 and just east of Panola Road-- trees are being bulldozed along the eastbound roadway and a large noise barrier is being built along part of the westbound just east of Wesley Chapel Road. I assumed that this was part of the long-programmed widening of I-20 all the way out to Conyers, but Georgia DOT's ridiculously inadequate website says:

Quote:
I-20 (Eastside) Collector Distributor (CD) Lanes

A $31 million project to add 4.5 miles of new eastbound CD lanes between the I-285 and Panola Road interchanges in Dekalb County. It is due to be finished in mid-2013.
Here's the background:

For a long time, maybe since the '80's, there's been a concept to widen I-20 from downtown Atlanta to Conyers (or maybe beyond) to four lanes plus an HOV lanes in each direction. The part inside I-285 was completed in 1994 or so, and... The remaining part of I-20 between I-285 and Covington is one of the state's older Interstates, finished in the late '50's-early '60's with a 36 foot median and widened in the early 70's (actually, IIRC, the widening went as far as Conyers initially, then to Covington quite some time later) to 2x3 by adding two lanes and a Jersey barrier in the median. At that time, the bridges at the first two interchanges outside I-285 were widened but not replaced, so that only a 2x3 layout (or a very tight 2x4) would fit under them.

Starting in the '80's, when more capacity was desired at interchanges, the old bridges were demolished and replaced with new ones that would accommodate the eventual 2x5 mainline. The Evan Mill Road interchange was rebuilt within the last five years or so; I-20 passes over Evans Mill, and a new bridge was built that's wide enough to carry the 2x5 mainline. The same thing was done at the new Lithonia Industrial Boulevard interchange a bit further west (it and Evans Mill are now a split diamond with one way frontage roads and a rather useless Texas turnaround bridge. But I digress-- the 2x5 mainline is my focus here).

Even more recently, the bridge at Wesley Chapel Road has been replaced with a new bridge built for the 2x5 mainline plus three lanes CD roads in each direction.

At this point, only the Panola Road interchange bridge and two two-lane non-interchange bridges, one on either side of Panola Road, obstruct the 2x5 cross section until West Avenue in Conyers, 13 miles outside of 285. Judging from the placement of the construction zone signs, one of these bridges (at Hillandale Road) will remain even after the current project is completed.

Believe it or not, Georgia DOT has a stated policy against adding more general traffic lanes to metro Atlanta freeways-- added lanes are to be HOV, HOT, truck lanes, or, apparently, CD's. So now we have a project that increases capacity in one direction only, and which makes no use of facilities constructed at considerable expense only a few years ago.

I wish GDOT would put some project drawings online. I'd like to know what this thing will end up looking like. I'd expect a ramp braid between I-285 and Wesley Chapel, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

2nd EDIT: A few years ago, GDOT did kind of the opposite thing at I-285 and Memorial Drive: they replaced the six lane c. 1967 interchange bridge with a ten lane one that includes space for (I'm guessing) a mainline of five general lanes and an HOV plus three-lane CD's, again in each direction. It's difficult for me to imagine that the CD's will ever be built, especially since the US 29 bridge over 285 a few miles north was replaced by one that has no provision for CD's. But they did it anyway. WTF?

Last edited by Tom 958; May 19th, 2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: cleanup, added stuff
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:16 AM   #7983
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Breaking:
AASHTO's route numbering committee discussed the US 41 corridor at their meeting last week and is interested in making it I-55.

Quote:
"The USRN discussed the Interstate 55 through Wisconsin that connects with I-55 in Illinois. It was decided that the committee Secretary, M. Vitale, will coordinate with Wisconsin in sending a letter to Illinois and copying FHWA on the need for I-55 and to support the value of I-55. It is Wisconsin’s intent to get this process completed by the AASHTO Annual Meeting 2012 in Pittsburgh, PA."
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:16 PM   #7984
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
Breaking:
AASHTO's route numbering committee discussed the US 41 corridor at their meeting last week and is interested in making it I-55.
So they're going to multiplex I-55 with I-94 for almost 90 miles from Chicago to Milwaukee and it doesn't fit the Interstate system grid? Instead of doing that, why not sign the freeway portion of US 41 north of Milwaukee as I-41 since it would be in between I-39 and I-43.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #7985
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

I-78 Westbound...Holland Tunnel

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4817 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4820 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4822 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4824 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4826 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4827 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #7986
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I-287 Northbound

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4867 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4868 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4871 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4873 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4875 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4877 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4878 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4879 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4880 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4882 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4883 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4884 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4885 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4886 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4887 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4888 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4889 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4890 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4891 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4892 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4894 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4895 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4896 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4898 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4901 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4902 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4903 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4906 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4908 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4909 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4911 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN4912 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #7987
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

Just amazing pics, Love it Thanks for chearing your beautiful roadtrip

Holland tunnel seems to be too small in size to the amount of cars it has to swallow a day. No plans to build another tunnel or try to double the size? I can imagine that it is amazingly high traffic levels and traffic jams daily

Thanks

http://www.twintowersalliance.com/images/Golden_Towers.png
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #7988
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Ideally, they should build a complex of 2 tunnels there:

- new tunnel under the Hudson, 2x4 lanes, starting at the terminus of I-75.

- new trans-Manhattan tunnel, 2x3 lanes, connecting the previous proposed tunnel to the Williamsburg bridge.

It would be an easy undertaking, especially drilling under all already existing subway tunnles in Lower Manhattan, but it is doable.
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #7989
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Ideally, they should build a complex of 2 tunnels there:

- new tunnel under the Hudson, 2x4 lanes, starting at the terminus of I-78.

- new trans-Manhattan tunnel, 2x3 lanes, connecting the previous proposed tunnel to the Williamsburg bridge.

It would be an easy undertaking, especially drilling under all already existing subway tunnles in Lower Manhattan, but it is doable.
They can't its so complex under Manhattan , and each subway line is a different depth....some as deep as 4 stories. As for the Hudson River , the PA has no more plans for any tunnels expect 2 Railway tunnels as part of the Gateway Project and 2 more being proposed as part of the Lower Manhattan Railway project. The Current Second Avenue subway will cost 15-20 Billion due to the Complexity of Tunneling under Manhattan. Highways would be around the same cost. Traffic doesn't really warrant a new crossing between Urban Jersey and Lower Manhattan , its been dropping recently maybe due to tolls and gas but better Transit has a huge impact. The only tunnel project that would get support would be burying and widing I-278 through Brooklyn , which would be easy.
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #7990
Suburbanist
on the road

It is not relevant to this thread, but on the 2nd Avenue subway, tunneling, building and installing the tracks itself account for less than 40% of total costs. Building the stations is extremely costly because of their "underground cavern" design.
Old May 24th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #7991
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
It is not relevant to this thread, but on the 2nd Avenue subway, tunneling, building and installing the tracks itself account for less than 40% of total costs. Building the stations is extremely costly because of their "underground cavern" design.
And building a highway tunnel under Manhattan is somehow cheaper? You need to have multiple exits , a ventilation system and ramps....and you can't build them at 1920s standards....so it would cost the same as a Subway...if not more. Everything in Manhattan that is cheap elsewhere doubles or triples in cost...
Old May 24th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #7992
Suburbanist
on the road

Oh, I was thinking just a cross-town tunnel to the Williamsburg bridg. Rather short tunnel.

But I think NY-NJ Porth Authority is quite maxed out of debt capacity and tolls would be too high to justify this project for now.

=======================

When I last visited NYC I drove in both Hudson tunnels. I liked the Lincoln tunnel more than the Holland tunnel. The NJ portal and exit of the Lincoln tunnel is very cool with the helix and the cliffs.
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #7993
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Ultimately, I would drill a deep-bored tunnel that would run from about the NJTP (I-95) at interchange 16E under the Hudson River, Manhattan and the East River to emerge at about the LIE (I-495)/BQE (I-278) interchange in Queens that would bypass both the Lincoln and Midtown tunnels for traffic between Long Island (including Brooklyn and Queens) and the rest of the USA to the west.

I can foresee no other real highway upgrades involving Manhattan.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #7994
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino View Post
So they're going to multiplex I-55 with I-94 for almost 90 miles from Chicago to Milwaukee and it doesn't fit the Interstate system grid? Instead of doing that, why not sign the freeway portion of US 41 north of Milwaukee as I-41 since it would be in between I-39 and I-43.
Because it would make roadgeeks puke.

Sign it as I-65, multiplexed with I-90 through Chicago. It'd be straighter and wouldn't create a TOTSO in downtown Chicago (there's a WI 65, but it's short and on the other side of the state).

Then, de-designate I-94 between Milwaukee and I-80/90 in Indiana.

Give the orphaned I-94 south of Chicago a 3DI number-- and sign it as running north-south.

As icing on the cake, redesignate the eastern segment of I-94 as I-92.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #7995
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Just came back from another roadtrip, time to post some shots.

I did over 3100 miles (just about 5000km) in 2 weeks

I started in Atlanta
I-85 southbound (I took it on my way back)

Prices for HOT lanes

I-85/I-285 junction

I like American signage, find it very logical and dumb-proof

geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #7996
geogregor

Downtown Connector and further south

Old May 25th, 2012, 03:08 AM   #7997
geogregor

I had a bit of spare time before catching my plane so went a bit south before turning back to ATL

Turning back

Old May 25th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #7998
geogregor

Last bit for tonight.

Prices

Time to head back to the airport

I go to domestic terminal because that's where car rental center is located

I like clear signage where to go where you return a car

Car rental center, quite impressive structure.
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:52 AM   #7999
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Did you happen to make it up to Tennessee? Only 2 hours or so north and very worth it! I love the highways in Atlanta, I've driven through there quite a few times, the size never fails to impress me. I get a rush driving through those massive highways at 80mph/125km/h, probably the only major city where all the traffic can do such speeds all the way through the city center. Those tolls are so cheap!
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #8000
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino

Because it would make roadgeeks puke.

Sign it as I-65, multiplexed with I-90 through Chicago. It'd be straighter and wouldn't create a TOTSO in downtown Chicago (there's a WI 65, but it's short and on the other side of the state).

Then, de-designate I-94 between Milwaukee and I-80/90 in Indiana.

Give the orphaned I-94 south of Chicago a 3DI number-- and sign it as running north-south.

As icing on the cake, redesignate the eastern segment of I-94 as I-92.
or call it I-41 between GB and the Zoo Interchange in Milwaukee because thats cheapest and most logical

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban