daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #8001
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19142

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Did you happen to make it up to Tennessee? Only 2 hours or so north and very worth it! I love the highways in Atlanta, I've driven through there quite a few times, the size never fails to impress me. I get a rush driving through those massive highways at 80mph/125km/h, probably the only major city where all the traffic can do such speeds all the way through the city center. Those tolls are so cheap!
Yes, I did go to Chattanooga, Lynchburg and then to Nashville.
Freeways of Atlanta are really impressive but system of only one ring road and all the major routes going through the city is not the most effective. I heard that traffic jams can be epic in Atlanta.
On the downtown connector traffic slowed down to something about 50mph even if it was not during the rush hour.
80mph? It had to be middle of the night when you did it
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #8002
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

The Atlanta metropolitan area grows by 100,000 people each year, and infrastructure spending has been impressive from time to time, but was generally unable to keep up with population = traffic growth.

Traffic volumes outside the I-285 are sometimes just as high as in downtown. Atlanta grew into a multi-hub city in the past decades, and traffic volumes actually decreased quite significantly on the Downtown Connector, while they exploded on I-75, I-85 and I-285, especially in the northern half of the metro area.

Atlanta is a statistical outlier due to its very low density, it's considerably less dense than the next 10 or 20 least dense major metropolitan areas. Considering Atlanta's traffic patterns are somewhat comparable to Houston, it should have expanded its hub and spoke system. It was a major mistake to not construct a second beltway in the 1970's/1980's.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #8003
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21235

MARTA expansion is supposed to take care of that

j/k
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #8004
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Yes, I did go to Chattanooga, Lynchburg and then to Nashville.
Freeways of Atlanta are really impressive but system of only one ring road and all the major routes going through the city is not the most effective. I heard that traffic jams can be epic in Atlanta.
On the downtown connector traffic slowed down to something about 50mph even if it was not during the rush hour.
80mph? It had to be middle of the night when you did it
Well this is true lol. You have to time it right to make it through downtown doing that. Generally from 11am-2pm or after 7pm you can make it through with no issues! I would only slow down when my phone showed police ahead or if I visibly saw police in the distance, for the most part I was going with the flow of traffic though. However I should add it takes some lane changing, but I'm Polish so you know how we drive.

I love driving the mountain roads of Chattanooga or I-24 to Nashville is just awesome!

This video the speeds were 70-85mph.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; May 25th, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #8005
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Atlanta metropolitan area grows by 100,000 people each year, and infrastructure spending has been impressive from time to time, but was generally unable to keep up with population = traffic growth.

Traffic volumes outside the I-285 are sometimes just as high as in downtown. Atlanta grew into a multi-hub city in the past decades, and traffic volumes actually decreased quite significantly on the Downtown Connector, while they exploded on I-75, I-85 and I-285, especially in the northern half of the metro area.

Atlanta is a statistical outlier due to its very low density, it's considerably less dense than the next 10 or 20 least dense major metropolitan areas. Considering Atlanta's traffic patterns are somewhat comparable to Houston, it should have expanded its hub and spoke system. It was a major mistake to not construct a second beltway in the 1970's/1980's.
You mean this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Perimeter
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #8006
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
It was a major mistake to not construct a second beltway in the 1970's/1980's.
OR, the region could not destroy its environment, adopt efficient land use policies and invest in mass transit.

You cannot build yourself out of congestion. Atlanta is a premier example of this. Its freeways are 10+ lanes and they still get more and more clogged with traffic.
Old May 26th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #8007
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
MARTA expansion is supposed to take care of that

j/k
Who said that? NOBODY. Building more roads, destroying more land, and jeopardizing the air and water quality of the region is not the answer.
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #8008
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
OR, the region could not destroy its environment, adopt efficient land use policies and invest in mass transit.

You cannot build yourself out of congestion. Atlanta is a premier example of this. Its freeways are 10+ lanes and they still get more and more clogged with traffic.
Well the reason they have so many lanes and still have traffic problems is because of the few alternatives. If you have a select few roads for all the cars to pack onto then you get bad congestion even with plenty of lanes. My metro has the same issue.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #8009
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Atlanta has not opened any new freeway mileage since there were approximately 3 million people less. No surprise traffic congestion has increased there. It's one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the United States.

You cannot eliminate all congestion, but simply sitting on your butt and do nothing is certainly not going to solve things. With that kind of "logic" Atlanta may as well have had only two four-lane freeways "because it's useless to build anymore". A growing city needs a growing infrastructure, it's as easy as that. No city can function without road infrastructure.

Atlanta needs a large system of 4-lane HOT lanes, while preserving the existing "free" capacity. Not converting existing HOV into HOT lanes which is not going to add any capacity.
Old May 26th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #8010
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

Happy 75th birthday Golden Gate Bridge!
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #8011
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #8012
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
or call it I-41 between GB and the Zoo Interchange in Milwaukee because thats cheapest and most logical
Pretty sure the blue shield signs cost the same whether the number on them is 41 or 55.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #8013
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
Pretty sure the blue shield signs cost the same whether the number on them is 41 or 55
yes, but if the road gets renamed to I-55 or other they want to have those labels all the way to Illinois...otherwords instead of between GB and Milwaukee, they want the new label between GB and Illinois.
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #8014
Professor L Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
yes, but if the road gets renamed to I-55 or other they want to have those labels all the way to Illinois...otherwords instead of between GB and Milwaukee, they want the new label between GB and Illinois.
Fair enough. A valid point.

Or, as I've seen proposed, just renumber it as a 3di and call it a day. x94 or something like that.

Ever since I-74 opened in NC, duplicating Interstate numbers over US routes has bothered me for some reason.

1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Old May 28th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #8015
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Quote:

When I was down there, people used to tell me "it takes half an hour to get anywhere". LOL.

I think the problem is the huge localization, lots of local governments competing with each other and not enough concrete regional/state issues. Atlanta proper is less than 10% of the metro area so it doesn't have enough sway.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #8016
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Atlanta has not opened any new freeway mileage since there were approximately 3 million people less. No surprise traffic congestion has increased there. It's one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the United States.

You cannot eliminate all congestion, but simply sitting on your butt and do nothing is certainly not going to solve things. With that kind of "logic" Atlanta may as well have had only two four-lane freeways "because it's useless to build anymore". A growing city needs a growing infrastructure, it's as easy as that. No city can function without road infrastructure.

Atlanta needs a large system of 4-lane HOT lanes, while preserving the existing "free" capacity. Not converting existing HOV into HOT lanes which is not going to add any capacity.
It's not like nothing has been done to improve congestion in Atlanta over the past 20 years. Actually Atlanta is not even in the top 10 worst traffic cities anymore, after years of being in the top 5 annually...so the changes that have occurred have apparently helped.

In July the 10 main counties of the Atlanta region will vote on a regional transportation referendum to assess a one-percent sales tax for $6.14 billion in improvements, including several mass transit projects (http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-poli...4-1200104.html). Passage of this referendum is crucial to Atlanta's future growth and appeal.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #8017
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor
Last bit for tonight.

Prices

Time to head back to the airport

I go to domestic terminal because that's where car rental center is located

I like clear signage where to go where you return a car

Car rental center, quite impressive structure.
I heart Atlanta. The Downtown Connector gets so close to Atlanta's CBD -- it makes for such a cool drive. Thanks for the pics.
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #8018
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
It's not like nothing has been done to improve congestion in Atlanta over the past 20 years. Actually Atlanta is not even in the top 10 worst traffic cities anymore, after years of being in the top 5 annually...so the changes that have occurred have apparently helped.
Traffic patterns have changed quite a bit in recent years. About 10 years ago, up to 365,000 vehicles used the Downtown Connector, which has plunged to 290,000. That's an unprecedented drop in traffic volumes. And if traffic on the Downtown Connector has been reduced, it also must've been reduced on the radial routes.

Like most major metropolitan areas, Atlanta is getting its job centers more dispersed, especially with the rise of sub centers like Buckhead, Marietta, the Airport or Sandy Springs. On I-75 and I-85, traffic volumes are higher outside the Perimeter than inside (apart from the downtown connector itself). However, the Perimeter is pretty bad, they're planning a major overhaul with HOT lanes on the northern side.
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #8019
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95 Delaware

The I-95 toll plaza in Delaware has been changed in 2011, with express lanes for E-ZPass users.

2010:

2011:
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #8020
Professor L Gee

Never been through that toll plaza. Shunpiking FTW.

1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban