daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #8021
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-49, Louisiana

A photo of I-49 nearing completion in northern Louisiana (near Ida and the Arkansas state line).

image hosted on flickr

LA 168, is great. by jczart, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #8022
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A photo of I-49 nearing completion in northern Louisiana (near Ida and the Arkansas state line).

image hosted on flickr

LA 168, is great. by jczart, on Flickr
Great shot of beautiful rural interstate. I really enjoy driving roads like this. Feel of spaciousness makes them so much more enjoyable than narrow and claustrophobic European freeways which are also increasingly surrounded by the noise barriers.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #8023
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Not me. I prefer some variation-- a narrower typical median, but with forested islands every so often or where the topography suggests independent alignments for the two roadways. to me, it's prettier, and more interesting, and probably cheaper, too. I -49 has the same boring look throughout its length, apparently. And the interchanges take up way to much land.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #8024
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
Not me. I prefer some variation-- a narrower typical median, but with forested islands every so often or where the topography suggests independent alignments for the two roadways. to me, it's prettier, and more interesting, and probably cheaper, too. I -49 has the same boring look throughout its length, apparently. And the interchanges take up way to much land.
I don't like forested islands, they are just used as speed traps. It seems to be a rural interstate in a region with boring topography, there isn't much one can do to make it less boring. The excessive space is probably for future widening, even then if its a rural area it doesn't really matter, I'd prefer it to small European motorways any day.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #8025
geogregor

Some shots from my last trip. Mostly boring shots of typical interstate, with quite few shots on signage. I took them mostly to show Polish forumers typical US roads
I can't remember if this is I-75 south of Chattanooga or I-24 north of it.

I-65 in Kentucky

Rest area, quite handsome

I like this signs telling me what I can eat on the next exit

Old May 29th, 2012, 03:49 AM   #8026
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Some shots from my last trip. Mostly boring shots of typical interstate, with quite few shots on signage. I took them mostly to show Polish forumers typical US roads
I-24 between Nashville and Chattanooga reminds me a lot of the Autobahn/Motorway between Dresden and Prague.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when thereīs snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of itīs best definition first. -Radi Click

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; May 29th, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #8027
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Dude, did you really have to quote everything?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #8028
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11815

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I'd prefer it to small European motorways any day.
what do you mean with small european motorways? doesnt an american 2x2 motorway look the same as in europe?

i mean this motorway could easily be somewhere in europe, except for the median (and the truck )

JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #8029
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
I-75 has six lanes all the way to Atlanta.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #8030
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

It's I-24! I absolutely loved driving I-24 north of Chattanooga, it is the best part of the drive to Chicago, only Atlanta comes close. The part where you get into the mountains and you can let go of the throttle and just let the slope carry you at 75mph with some good music its just perfect! Once you get closer to Nashville it gets flat and boring lol. I didn't get too many pics because I was enjoying the drive too much but it just gets really awesome like the pic below.

Some more pics..

My fuel economy going downhill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
what do you mean with small european motorways? doesnt an american 2x2 motorway look the same as in europe?

i mean this motorway could easily be somewhere in europe, except for the median (and the truck )
Thats exactly it! Don't get me wrong I love European motorways, but like in Poland the new motorways have sound barriers on most of them. I can understand the reason but sometimes its overkill and makes you feel crowded in. Also the medians are usually tiny although its smart they have a barrier and we usually don't except in the cities. We get a steel cable barrier at best usually.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #8031
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Ocala, FL (The Weekly Vice) - Ashley Holton, a 35-year-old Alabama woman was jailed Sunday after she allegedly masturbated in front of passing motorists on a busy Florida highway, then resisted arrest.

According to the Marion County Sheriff's Office, Holton was wearing nothing more than a pink shirt when she decided to pull her car over on Highway 484 near Interstate 75 and then masturbate in front of passing motorists.

Holton's display of self-love attracted the attention of motorists - several of which committed illegal U-Turns to watch her. Holton continued to engage in the sex act for a half hour before deputies arrived on scene.

Investigators say Holton kicked, bit and exposed herself to deputies who were attempting to arrest her. She continued to expose herself even after she was secured with handcuffs.

Holton was booked into the Marion County Jail and charged with battery on a law enforcement officer, disorderly conduct and exposure of sexual organs. Her bond has been set at $16,250.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #8032
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Thats exactly it! Don't get me wrong I love European motorways, but like in Poland the new motorways have sound barriers on most of them. I can understand the reason but sometimes its overkill and makes you feel crowded in. Also the medians are usually tiny although its smart they have a barrier and we usually don't except in the cities. We get a steel cable barrier at best usually.
okay, then I may misunderstood you, i did not realize you were talking about sound barriers. i thought you were talking about motorways in general. those sound barriers in poland are indeed annoying...
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #8033
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

That pic of I-49 in Louisiana is so cool. When I first saw the pic and title I assumed it was from 40 or 50 years ago, and the warm color of the photo didn't help. Then I realized there is no finished I-49 in northern Louisiana, yet...

Yes, the US interstate system is still growing :d
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #8034
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Great shot of beautiful rural interstate. I really enjoy driving roads like this. Feel of spaciousness makes them so much more enjoyable than narrow and claustrophobic European freeways which are also increasingly surrounded by the noise barriers.
Noise barriers, called "sound walls" in California, are quite common on freeways in urban areas. Most freeways near where I live all have sound walls because they pass through mostly residential areas where road noise can be a problem. Some sound walls are located right next to the shoulder (breakdown lane) while others are set back from the edge of the freeway enough to where trees and shrubs can be planted.

From the AARoads Gallery
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #8035
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino View Post
Noise barriers, called "sound walls" in California, are quite common on freeways in urban areas. Most freeways near where I live all have sound walls because they pass through mostly residential areas where road noise can be a problem. Some sound walls are located right next to the shoulder (breakdown lane) while others are set back from the edge of the freeway enough to where trees and shrubs can be planted.

From the AARoads Gallery
But even in California sound barriers are nowhere near as prevalent as in Europe. I know it as I drove there extensively. In Poland nowadays they build sound barriers in the middle of the forrest, probably for the benefit of dear and foxes (some suspect it is a way for some to make some extra money)
And even wit sound barriers American freeways don't feel as claustrophobic as European because they are much wider (especially in urban areas where sound barriers are used).
I just much prefer driving in the US. Especially on more rural freeways like the I-49 in Louisiana.
Sorry all you lovers of European roads (especially those with the fetish of German autobahn)

I just do prefer this:
image hosted on flickr

Over this:

EDIT:
By the way, the I-49 just became my desktop background

Last edited by geogregor; May 30th, 2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:39 AM   #8036
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Dude, did you really have to quote everything?
Yes.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when thereīs snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of itīs best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #8037
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

I agree with what people are saying about sound barriers and to a lesser extent having lots of trees and greenery around roads.

I understand the reasoning that we should protect nearby neighborhoods from the constant din of passing cars. Sucks driving though, its so boring.

I enjoy driving through the western half of the US more than the eastern half. Up in Virginia you could be in the middle of metro DC and never see much more than trees from the side of the road.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #8038
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Yepper, as mentioned above, I-75 is six lanes from its interchange with I-24 in the Chattanooga area to metro Atlanta.

Quote:
I like this signs telling me what I can eat on the next exit
These signs exist because of a USA federal rule that prohibits 'off-premises' advertising signs (AKA: billboards) within a certain minimum distance of an interstate. They were created as a compromise with business interests who felt, and I agree with them on this, that while billboards are ugly and detract from the scenery, they still provided a legitimately useful service to the traveling public. Billboards that existed before that law was passed or the date that an existing road was officially 'promoted' to being a full interstate were allowed to remain ('grandfathered'), but they can not be structurally changed or majorly repaired. For example, if a 'grandfathered' billboard blows over in a storm, it cannot be repaired and all parts of it must be removed.

It will be interesting, indeed, to see those multitudes of billboards along US 41 north of Milwaukee - and yes, I mean MULTITUDES! - progressively disappear once those snazzy signs are posted.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #8039
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Quote:
I just do prefer this:
image hosted on flickr

Over this:
okay, so you like large medians? because thats the only difference between the 2 pictures here. i agree with you on the sound walls though.
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #8040
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
okay, so you like large medians? because thats the only difference between the 2 pictures here. i agree with you on the sound walls though.
Yes, I do like the wide median. In general the US roads offer feeling of spaciousness which very few roads in Europe can match. I don't exactly know how to describe it. Once you drove in both continents you can clearly see the difference. There are exceptions on both continents but generally that's how it is.
Of course that is my totally subjective personal opinion

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban