daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #8041
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Happy 75th birthday Golden Gate Bridge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post

That's brilliant, but it's not on an Interstate. :-P

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:24 PM   #8042
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19119

Where can I find full list of interstate highways under construction? I mean new roads not just upgrade of the old ones or redesignation of the US highways.

So far I know about I-49 in northern Louisiana and I-69 in southern Indiana. I also know there were some plans for extending I-540 on the Arkansas Missouri border, around Bella Vista. Is anything happening there?
Any more green-field interstates under construction anywhere?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:27 PM   #8043
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I-580 from Reno to Carson City is under construction too. Furthermore, I-269 around Memphis and I-22 near Birmingham are under construction as "Future Interstates".
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:25 AM   #8044
geogregor

According to Wikipedia there is construction going on along the I-49 from Texarcana to Fort Smith, with some bridges already finished.

I couldn't find anything on the Arkansas DOT website.
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:45 AM   #8045
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Don't get me wrong I love European motorways, but like in Poland the new motorways have sound barriers on most of them.
What is a sound barrier?
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:49 AM   #8046
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

I don't really like them because they block the cities and scenery that you are driving through. Very common here in Connecticut.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:02 AM   #8047
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
According to Wikipedia there is construction going on along the I-49 from Texarcana to Fort Smith, with some bridges already finished.

I couldn't find anything on the Arkansas DOT website.
There is some construction going on at the Texarkana eastern bypass, including an extension to US 71 north of Texarkana.

I'm not aware of any further freeway construction between Texarkana and Fort Smith.
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:46 PM   #8048
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post

I don't really like them because they block the cities and scenery that you are driving through. Very common here in Connecticut.
You can get see through ones too
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM   #8049
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

As I travel everyday from downtown to the burb of Lees Summit for work I traverse the Grandview Triangle everyday.

Here is a checklist of changes as of recent for 71 to 49 conversion and the interstate that feed into the Grandview Triangle.
1. NB 71 has a new sign: End (space for 49 shield) continue on 71 North

2. Exits from Grandview Triangle(for those that don't know is the 71/435/470 interchange) to Joplin now have exit numbers.

3. New BGS on 470 WB / 435 SB / 435 EB / 71 SB that have a new space next to the left of the 71 shield to make room for the 49 shield.

4. The control city has been changed on some BGS from the South suburb of Grandview to
Joplin.

5. Last weekend took a road trip to Tulsa and the I-49 mile markers are installed and turned facing away from the road. In some areas they can be seen from the frontage roads.

Last edited by ScraperDude; June 2nd, 2012 at 02:43 AM.
ScraperDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:46 AM   #8050
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Here is a pic I took today of the END 49 sign awaiting the shield
Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:55 PM   #8051
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post

But living next to a highway is very loud and annoying....so residents which in CT are raped by the high property taxes deserve a little peace and quiet.... CT plans on capped I-84 and few other highways over the next few decades....along with other states. At least where Interstates or Major Highways run in cuts or depressions...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:10 PM   #8052
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:32 PM   #8053
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There is some construction going on at the Texarkana eastern bypass, including an extension to US 71 north of Texarkana.

I'm not aware of any further freeway construction between Texarkana and Fort Smith.
According to this site:
http://www.interstate49.org/

There are some bridges and junctions under construction around Fort Smith. I looked on Google earth and there is something visible east of current I-540. Is it some new Fort Smith bypass?
Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:33 PM   #8054
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
There are some bridges and junctions under construction around Fort Smith. I looked on Google earth and there is something visible east of current I-540. Is it some new Fort Smith bypass?
Yea, I-49 will be completely different allignment from I-540 south of I-40, obviously some of it is done...What helped was the closing of Ft. Chaffee a couple years ago as some of this completed road cuts through the closed base. So yes there is slow I-49 construction east of Ft. Smith.

Arkansas has a lot of new interstates approved and underconstruction; I-49, I-530 extension south of Pine Bluff to Monticello though it will open only as a 2 lane facility first, and I-69. I-49 is probably most difficult because of the terrain it is proposed to traverse. As others have mentioned I-49 by Texarkana is mostly complete.

BTW the new I-49 east of Ft. Smith will cross and connect with I-40 at the existing I-40/I-540 east interchange 3-level stack.

Last edited by Jschmuck; June 2nd, 2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: BTW
Jschmuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:14 PM   #8055
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
Yea, I-49 will be completely different allignment from I-540 south of I-40, obviously some of it is done...What helped was the closing of Ft. Chaffee a couple years ago as some of this completed road cuts through the closed base. So yes there is slow I-49 construction east of Ft. Smith.

Arkansas has a lot of new interstates approved and underconstruction; I-49, I-530 extension south of Pine Bluff to Monticello though it will open only as a 2 lane facility first, and I-69. I-49 is probably most difficult because of the terrain it is proposed to traverse. As others have mentioned I-49 by Texarkana is mostly complete.

BTW the new I-49 east of Ft. Smith will cross and connect with I-40 at the existing I-40/I-540 east interchange 3-level stack.
How about bridge across the Arkansas River? Is it under construction?
Any dates? When the Ft. Smith bypass is going to be finished?
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:33 PM   #8056
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

I don't have any schedule or dates on I-49 as funding is extremely tight and being approved in sections, but my feeling/belief about the schedule is 10 to 20 years. Same with any bridge over the Arkansas River.

I just found out that there is a tiny 2-mile section of the Bella Vista, AR bypass portion of future I-49 underconstruction southwest of the village, noticeable on google maps as well.

If you want to see other interstate construction of the other interstates i mentioned in Arkansas you can see some on Google Maps by the Pine Bluff area with the I-530 south extension under construction.

And then partially unrelated to interstate discussion is in the Springdale, Arkansas area US412 will bypass Springdale to the north of the city but will interchange with future I-49/I-540 with a 4-level stack.

Last edited by Jschmuck; June 2nd, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Jschmuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:54 PM   #8057
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The lack of funding and the subsequent snail's pace of non-tolled projects in the United States is appalling...

If it was a toll road the entire road was likely constructed in 4 - 6 years.
Old June 4th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #8058
geogregor

Few shots from I-79 heading north towards Pittsburgh

Old June 4th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #8059
geogregor

Entering Pennsylvania

Traffic was very light (much lighter than I expected but maybe because it was Saturday afternoon) and it was really pleasant route to drive

PS. Sorry for bugs on the windscreen
Old June 4th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #8060
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

[rant on]
Gotta love those obscure control cities....

If we insist on having signs with only one "control city," it could at least be some place people have heard of.

The choice of "Washington" for 70 west/79 north is particularly helpful to people who might be at that point trying to get to Washington, D.C.,...(because you'd actually want to take 70 east)
[rant off]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban