daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2012, 02:46 AM   #8061
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
[rant on]The choice of "Washington" for 70 west/79 north is particularly helpful to people who might be at that point trying to get to Washington, D.C.,...(because you'd actually want to take 70 east)
[rant off]
They could've been cute and signed Washington PA for I-70 west and Washington DC for I-70 east. Or the same at the I-79-I-68 split.

This morning (or maybe late yesterday?), Georgia's first diverging diamond interchange was opened at I-285 and Ashford Dunwoody Road, one of the most heavily used service interchanges in metro Atlanta. They'd been working on it for a few months and had closed the one existing loop ramp already, but when I drove by on Saturday afternoon, the new, more direct westbound offramp had been cut through where the loop ramp had been, and the stone subbase was down. Sometime in the next 36 hours they completed paving and enough other works to open the interchange by the time I came through this morning.

I got off there and drove through it this afternoon, and it seemed to be doing OK. I didn't see any cars upside down or anything. But the day was still far from over.

I'd been thinking... with the sidewalks on the bridge located between the two roadways, there ought to be a handrail on each side as a typical feature, just because it'd seem weird to be walking on the median. Here, though, they're going one better by putting an unjersey barrier on each side, providing real protection as well as assurance for the few pedestrians who might venture that way (it'd be about a 5 minute walk from the Dunwoody MARTA station to the sizable office buildings on the other side of 285).

Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #8062
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post

Traffic was very light (much lighter than I expected but maybe because it was Saturday afternoon) and it was really pleasant route to drive

PS. Sorry for bugs on the windscreen
This interchange (I-70/79 east split) is being rebuilt to eliminate that slow loop ramp.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #8063
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

El Monte Busway, Los Angeles

The El Monte Busway is a HOV facility (soon HOT facility) along I-10 / San Bernardino Freeway east of Downtown Los Angeles. It was originally a bus-only facility, but gradually opened up for HOV users during the 1970's. They are currently converting it into a HOT lane with a maximum toll of $ 1.40 per mile. What's interesting about the busway is that traffic drives on the left between I-710 and Downtown.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #8064
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Isn't NJ the state that's notorious for odd, local control cities, like "Netcong" instead of "New York"?
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #8065
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Indeed. Signs for New York or Philadelphia are rare. (Although I'd guess Netcong is used on 80 westbound, so New York wouldn't work.)

But my native state is far from the only offender in the Northeast. The state I live in now's pretty bad.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #8066
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Westbound I-80 in Pennsylvania has many important metropolitan areas as control cities;

Hazleton
Bloomsburg
Bellefonte
Du Bois
Clarion
Sharon

Not unimportant towns like Cleveland.
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #8067
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Cleveland is about the only town/city I`ve heard of...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #8068
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

but you gotta give Ohio credit for signing New York on EB 80
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #8069
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Cleveland is about the only town/city I`ve heard of...
That's Chris' point. I-80 begins in New Jersey, very close to New York (City) and runs, eventually, to San Francisco. Cleveland is the first place on it west of the New York area with more than maybe 20,000 people (forgetting about Youngstown, Ohio, which is already pretty far west) because it was routed relatively straight across Pennsylvania rather than passing through any place important.

Most states would have no problem putting Cleveland westbound and New York eastbound as "control cities," even though the distance is nearly 500 miles. Pennsylvania, instead, prefers to use a sequence of much smaller (but closer and in-state) places. I don't see why we can't have more than one place per sign....

That "Most states..." is also part of the problem: there's no consistency from one state to the next. I'm sure a European trying to navigate here by destinations would find it maddening. Since Americans tend to follow route numbers instead, it doesn't really matter. What does matter, in my opinion, are distance signs - signs giving several destinations and the distance to them. Pennsylvania's stingy with those as well. I was driving from Philadelphia (the state's largest city) to Harrisburg (the state capital) one Sunday on US 322 (which, granted, is not the quickest or most obvious route; it's like deliberately using a British A-road when a motorway would serve the same route) and didn't see one sign giving the distance to Harrisburg. They're only 100 miles apart. Virginia, for example, is much better about that sort of thing.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #8070
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post
but you gotta give Ohio credit for signing New York on EB 80
If memory serves, you're from Columbus?

Ohio is good at this sort of thing. But why, on the Ohio Turnpike, is Strongsville the control city for I-71 southbound?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 7th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #8071
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Speaking of control cities, I still don't understand how Wilmington and Philadelphia are never on signs on I-95 in Maryland.

Sticking with I-95, I have seen Miami signed as far north as Richmond.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #8072
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Hear, hear!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 7th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #8073
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
If memory serves, you're from Columbus?

Ohio is good at this sort of thing. But why, on the Ohio Turnpike, is Strongsville the control city for I-71 southbound?
Formerly Columbus yes. Now i'm in Kans-ass City, home of the left lane slow drivers.

Hmm I'm trying to think of where that would be signed.....
You know what... It is signed for Strongsville on WB Ohio TP and EB Ohio TP is signed Cleveland/Columbus at the 71 interchange.
The ONLY explanation I can think of behind that is ODOT possibly assumes one would exit the TP via 77SB (control cities: Cleveland/Akron) to 271SB (control city: Columbus)
Because 80/71 interchange would take someone out of the way if they were bound for Columbus from the WB-TP. The shortest route would be 80wb to 77sb to 271sb to 71sb.

Now that I think about it most of 271SB has Columbus as a control city SB.
IE US 322 and 271sb interchange or 90NB and 271SB
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #8074
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
But living next to a highway is very loud and annoying....so residents which in CT are raped by the high property taxes deserve a little peace and quiet.... CT plans on capped I-84 and few other highways over the next few decades....along with other states. At least where Interstates or Major Highways run in cuts or depressions...
Most of the richest towns are not near major highways here. Only one I can think of is the Merritt Parkway that basically is in a middle of a forest.

The interstates in CT go through the worst cities in the state actually.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #8075
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Oh, speaking of control cities in other states. Actually CT is good when it comes to that...perhaps TOO good. It shows I-84 and I-384 going to Boston and Providence respectively, although both do not go there (I-90 connects to I-84 though). If you take I-384 to Providence from Hartford, you have to drive through dangerous old roads in the middle of nowhere. Actually I think the lack of a direct highway connection between Hartford and Providence is why I never really been to that city, along with the fact that I don't know anyone there.

Some of the older signs in the Danbury area on I-84 west don't show a control city though...they just say "I-84 WEST - NY STATE". The newer ones say Newburgh.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #8076
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Atlanta has not opened any new freeway mileage since there were approximately 3 million people less. No surprise traffic congestion has increased there. It's one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the United States.

You cannot eliminate all congestion, but simply sitting on your butt and do nothing is certainly not going to solve things. With that kind of "logic" Atlanta may as well have had only two four-lane freeways "because it's useless to build anymore". A growing city needs a growing infrastructure, it's as easy as that. No city can function without road infrastructure.
You can't be responding to my post. Where did I say that nothing should be done? I opined rightfully that building more sprawlways is not a good solution- better land management and mass transit are the best ways to avoid congestion and transport people.

Atlanta could have smaller freeways if it had a good metro/commuter rail system and a higher density built environment. But the region decided to widen its ample freeway system to ten plus planes and cater exclusively to the car. Well, they got more congestion and sprawl as a result.
Old June 9th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #8077
ChrisZwolle
Road user

High density and high mass transit usage is not a solution to shorter travel times, quite the opposite actually. Manhattan (34 square miles) has longer average commuting times than Los Angeles County (4750 square miles), not to mention less congested and more sprawled out cities like Dallas or Houston.

93% of Atlanta's employment is outside the Downtown / Uptown area and that is why mass transit will never reduce travel times or even provide a remotely competitive mode of transport to the car. Right now there's a bill on the table to spend over 50% of transportation funding to mass transit, which 1% of the population uses. Of course, transit-advocates will say this is a smart way to spend public resources.
Old June 9th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #8078
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Most high-density areas have extremely long commute times. Even with lots of transit.

Even in Europe, the average time a transit user takes on his/her commute is way above the average time of a car commuter.

In part that is the result of many long-distance subsidized train commutes in many countries, but also sheer design limitations of transit networks as we know them. As in: walk 10 min to stop, wait 5 min for bus, ride bus for 8 min, enter subway station and wait 4 min, ride subway 15 min + walk 15 min to workplace... voilà: 53 min commute. But misleading activists will discount that on "at least you get fit" or "at least you can meet real people while travelling" or "you can celebrate city life and feel alive instead of caged in a care." Pure b--shit.
Old June 9th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #8079
wkiehl101

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
This interchange (I-70/79 east split) is being rebuilt to eliminate that slow loop ramp.

Mike
Seeing that sign makes me kinda homesick.

It's about time they finally started working on that project; they've been talking about it for, geez I forget how many years now.
Old June 9th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #8080
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
High density and high mass transit usage is not a solution to shorter travel times, quite the opposite actually. Manhattan (34 square miles) has longer average commuting times than Los Angeles County (4750 square miles), not to mention less congested and more sprawled out cities like Dallas or Houston.

93% of Atlanta's employment is outside the Downtown / Uptown area and that is why mass transit will never reduce travel times or even provide a remotely competitive mode of transport to the car. Right now there's a bill on the table to spend over 50% of transportation funding to mass transit, which 1% of the population uses. Of course, transit-advocates will say this is a smart way to spend public resources.
Are you talking about the commutes of people who live in Manhattan, or the far-larger number of people who work there? At any rate, I'm not sure Manhattan - one of the most densely populated places in the US - and Los Angeles County - literally half desert and forest - is a fair comparison. If you took the whole New York metropolitan area and spread it out to Atlanta densities....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban