daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2012, 04:06 AM   #8161
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima-Farid View Post
Proposed I-92 East-west Highway
What a Boondoggle , whos going to pay for that highway we don't have the $$$ or so they say and Maine isn't in a position to build a Highway to Nowhere...and it seems to benefit Canadians more then Maine.
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; June 30th, 2012 at 04:19 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #8162
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

yeah it does and the cost can be paid by toll from canadian trucks and passengers.
also it connects Maine to Montreal which gives them a nice route to a big market.
Nima-Farid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #8163
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
yeah it does and the cost can be paid by toll from canadian trucks and passengers.
also it connects Maine to Montreal which gives them a nice route to a big market.
But there's not a big market in Maine , this seems to be a shortcut for Canadian Truckers and seeing how opinions are most Anti-Highway I doubt this will get built even privately. New Englanders do not like to be used and abused... They had private projects in the past that have morphed into massive Boondoggles ... The Project is also wrapped in seediness in funding for studies , why should the public pay for a Private projects study?
Old June 30th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #8164
Nima-Farid
BANNED

But still, never say never and the situation of the highway is not beyond a proposal yet...
And it is good to see what locals think of such a massive project.
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #8165
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

I-11

Las Vegas - Phoenix Interstate Is inching Ahead

Quote:
A measure applauded by Southern Nevada business leaders as a key to future interstate and international commerce is one step closer to passage after a joint committee of Congress inserted language officially designating a route between Phoenix and Las Vegas as Interstate 11.

The agreement reached Wednesday — 56 years to the day from when President Dwight Eisenhower signed the nation’s first surface transportation bill into law, effectively beginning construction of the interstate highway system — lists I-11 as a route designation in the amended Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991.

Passage of the legislation, which could come later today, wouldn’t provide funding for I-11, but it would put the route in line for federal dollars to upgrade U.S. 93 to interstate highway standards.

The designation is part of the $120 billion bill to renew transportation funding in the United States for the next two years. Current funding is due to expire this weekend.

Business leaders in Nevada and Arizona have backed the I-11 designation as the first stage in connecting Phoenix and Las Vegas, the two largest metropolitan areas not connected by interstate highway. But ultimately, I-11 could be a conduit for international commerce, connecting ports in Mexico with the Canadian border through Nevada.

Some state leaders are eyeing the designation of I-11 as a possible means of funding a four-lane interstate highway linking Las Vegas with Reno.
Old June 30th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #8166
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
What a Boondoggle , whos going to pay for that highway we don't have the $$$ or so they say and Maine isn't in a position to build a Highway to Nowhere...and it seems to benefit Canadians more then Maine.
Tolls!
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #8167
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Tolls!

Still , with the history of Private lying and taking advantage of New Englanders this isn't going over so well... Mainers aren't as dumb as there southern US counterparts , so I don't see this project getting built. It goes through Eco-Senitive areas and through alot of peoples properties....
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #8168
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Still , with the history of Private lying and taking advantage of New Englanders this isn't going over so well... Mainers aren't as dumb as there southern US counterparts , so I don't see this project getting built. It goes through Eco-Senitive areas and through alot of peoples properties....
It's a vital trade route and it will happen. You've proved your bias against highways time and time again. Its getting old

I see the same type of scenario happening here as it did in Detroit. Canada will front some cash to get the project built

Canada has proved that it will go to great lengths to get the proper infrastructure put in place to have its goods delivered to market
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #8169
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19163

Interstates of Pittsburgh, I love all those bridges.

Interstates of Pittsburgh.
I love all those bridges.

geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #8170
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Nice pictures.

I also like the Interstate 11 idea posted above.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #8171
Nima-Farid
BANNED

yeah the construction of some parts started as early as mid-2000s
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:23 AM   #8172
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis

Mainers aren't as dumb as THEIR southern US counterparts.
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:33 AM   #8173
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
They are not dumb to let the freeway be built or they are not dumb to protest the construction?
Old July 1st, 2012, 02:28 AM   #8174
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Really , are we going to nitpick my spelling?

Last edited by Nexis; July 1st, 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old July 1st, 2012, 02:32 AM   #8175
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
It's a vital trade route and it will happen. You've proved your bias against highways time and time again. Its getting old

I see the same type of scenario happening here as it did in Detroit. Canada will front some cash to get the project built

Canada has proved that it will go to great lengths to get the proper infrastructure put in place to have its goods delivered to market
I'm not anti Highway , Just Anti Stupid Highway and against Private companies which have a seedy track record in this country when it comes to building. 9 out of 10 times they require massive public funding or take overs to complete a project. Canada seems to gain alot form this project more then Maine or New England in General....why can't they upgrade there highways and Rail network which could faster then hauling by Truck and 2x the Capacity.
Old July 1st, 2012, 02:57 AM   #8176
VoltAmps

The fact of the matter is the current route is extremely out-dated. A new one needs to be built and if it creates jobs in Maine, and facilitates more trade then I gaurantee they'll be all for it. And with Canada involved it won't be "seedy" or "sneaky" like you mentioned. You only have to look to other trans-border projects between Canada like the new Detroit Bridge or the proposed Keystone pipeline. They are built to the highest standards.

I see this definitely moving along. When Canada throws it's weight behind an infrastructure project it usually gets built. Maine can either take it or leave it, but it will happen
Old July 1st, 2012, 02:59 AM   #8177
VoltAmps

Quote:
They are not dumb to let the freeway be built or they are not dumb to protest the construction?
He was correcting his spelling...
Old July 1st, 2012, 03:54 AM   #8178
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Proposed I-92 East-west Highway
The biggest impediment to this, IMHO, will be with crossing the border for the transit. Over the past several years, things have gotten such with the border that most Canadian truck drivers will now stay in Canada in places where they previously would have crossed into the USA to avoid longer and/or more rugged parts of their own country (ie, transiting though nordern Minnesoda and Da YooPee of Michigan to avoid the über-rugged Canadian Shield area north of Lake Superior).

OTOH, whenever things do settle down with regards to the border and perhaps even a 'Schengen-style' setup can be put into place, such a highway will be very popular, indeed.

And yes, there is a paralleling railroad, but I am uncertain of its current usage status.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 04:09 AM   #8179
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10397

That projected route would go in the middle of nowhere and Maine is a poor state.

There are probably less than 100,000 people in the corridor that it would travel through.

Besides, a highway going from Burlington VT to Portland ME via Manchester/Concord NH would be more viable IMO. Call it I-92.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:48 AM   #8180
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
There are probably less than 100,000 people in the corridor that it would travel through.
There are tons of such freeways in the High Plains.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban