daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #8241
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
That bridge needs a third lane
Nah , most of the time its free flowing ....intill the Holland Tunnel Plaza...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #8242
Frank IBC

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Nah , most of the time its free flowing ....intill the Holland Tunnel Plaza...
Nearly every time that I've come from the Turnpike on a Friday night, there is about a 45 minute delay on the way to the Holland Tunnel.
Frank IBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #8243
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

5 lanes merging into 2 lanes within a mile. Unless all lanes carry significantly less traffic than their capacity, you have a classic bottleneck here.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #8244
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
78/95 interchange, looking toward Bayonne/Jersey City?
Quote:
Yup , closing one lane causes all that...
Do I get points in "Guess the Highway" for that? :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #8245
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank IBC View Post
Nearly every time that I've come from the Turnpike on a Friday night, there is about a 45 minute delay on the way to the Holland Tunnel.
No they closed 1 lane and theres a shift in Jersey City for construction so you get this bottleneck. 45 minutes puts you in Downtown Jersey City on the Viaduct that back up is 2hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
5 lanes merging into 2 lanes within a mile. Unless all lanes carry significantly less traffic than their capacity, you have a classic bottleneck here.
Its rare that area gets clogged , taking a lane is enough to do it...most of the traffic gets off just after or before the bridge its Port Traffic.
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #8246
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21235

Time for a new Jersey-Manhattan Tunnel then
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #8247
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

Not again!
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #8248
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Time for a new Jersey-Manhattan Tunnel then
From where to where? The Only New Tunnels will be for Rail , if they built the Cross-Harbor tunnel that would take 80% of those trucks off the Road and Passenger Rail would pick up the rest. And the Gateway is expected to relieve the bus congestion at the Lincoln Tunnel with the Expanded Rail network servicing the bus only areas.
Old July 29th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #8249
Frank IBC

Quote:
From where to where?
Same locations, just add a couple more tubes to the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels, to make them at least 8 lanes each, preferably more.

And improved rail access is even more critical.
Old July 29th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #8250
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Same locations, just add a couple more tubes to the Holland and Lincoln Tunnels, to make them at least 8 lanes each, preferably more.

And improved rail access is even more critical.
While there's room on the Jersey Side , there's none on the Manhattan side. With Rail you can build deep caverns with little impact to the surface , Road Tunnel entrances require a block of space. The Probably isn't so much Cars and buses as it is trucks and heading to Long Island. NYC has blocked every attempt to build a cross Harbor Freight tunnel even though it would half the trucks on the highways and grow the stagnate long Island economy.
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:13 AM   #8251
Squiggles

Likes (Received): 22

There's been talk recently of creating a new (presumably auxiliary) Interstate highway just east of Madison on U.S. Highways 12/18.

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/...164488196.html

The article (and the broadcast I watched that corresponds) is rather vague, but I would assume that IF the study leads to a freeway upgrade, it would likely be something to the effect of Interstate 139, 390 or other odd-number auxiliary of 39 or 90, which run concurrent north-south along the east edge of Madison. The route would lead from the I-90/39 - U.S. 12/18 interchange to County Highway N.

Last edited by Squiggles; August 1st, 2012 at 02:30 AM.
Squiggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:37 AM   #8252
Frank IBC

Quote:
NYC has blocked every attempt to build a cross Harbor Freight tunnel even though it would half the trucks on the highways and grow the stagnate long Island economy.
Wasn't Giuliani in favor of the tunnel? I'm sorry to hear of the City's opposition - which I assume is primarily due to opposition from the Brooklyn neighborhoods along the connecting railway, which is hardly used at all nowadays. This is a critical project that should have been built many decades ago. Having no fixed links south of Albany is ridiculous.
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:52 AM   #8253
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
There's been talk recently of creating a new (presumably auxiliary) Interstate highway just east of Madison on U.S. Highways 12/18.

The article (and the broadcast I watched that corresponds) is rather vague, but I would assume that IF the study leads to a freeway upgrade, it would likely be something to the effect of Interstate 139, 390 or other odd-number auxiliary of 39 or 90, which run concurrent north-south along the east edge of Madison. The route would lead from the I-90/39 - U.S. 12/18 interchange to County Highway N.
It is highly doubtful that WisDOT would seek Interstate status for such a short stretch. However this is good news and corresponds with other US 12 upgrades being built and/ or planned to the east.
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:43 AM   #8254
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Wasn't Giuliani in favor of the tunnel? I'm sorry to hear of the City's opposition - which I assume is primarily due to opposition from the Brooklyn neighborhoods along the connecting railway, which is hardly used at all nowadays. This is a critical project that should have been built many decades ago. Having no fixed links south of Albany is ridiculous.
NY keeps nixing any future Freight links , the New Tappan Zee Bridge would have allowed for Cross Hudson Freight connection. But the Rail part is now up in the air... As for the Harbor Tunnel , Brooklyn blocked it , evenly though no land was to be taken and the line would be Electric and come with a subway line on the side. Blocking that and other projects is starting to damage the NYC economy and it be Interesting to see where it is 15 years from now.
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:11 PM   #8255
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Atlanta T-SPLOST vote

Voters have rejected a regional sales tax increase to fund $ 8 billion in transportation projects in greater Atlanta. All 10 counties voted against the T-SPLOST. T-SPLOST would have created $ 8 billion in funding for transit and road projects.

Although only 1% of the passenger miles in greater Atlanta are done by public transport, a staggering 52% of the funding was reserved for transit projects.

This also delays the much-needed I-285/GA-400 interchange upgrade, along with several other road projects, but the bulk of the road projects included in T-SPLOST were relatively minor. Not much bang for your buck, so to speak.
Old August 1st, 2012, 04:41 PM   #8256
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95 Express Lanes, Virginia

Governor Bob McDonnell today announced that the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) entered into a comprehensive agreement and reached financial close with a group of private-sector companies to build approximately 29 miles of express lanes on I-95 from Garrisonville Road in Stafford County to Edsall Road in Fairfax County. Construction will begin on the $925 million project early next month.
http://www.governor.virginia.gov/New...se.cfm?id=1360

Old August 1st, 2012, 06:16 PM   #8257
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

New section of (future) interstate open

The CA 905 (future I-905) freeway between I-805 and the Mexico-USA border crossing at San Diego/Otay Mesa, CA, about 10.3 km, opened to traffic on Monday, 2012-07-30. This is the major truck/lorry border crossing in the area. (Note, the I-5 crossing at San Diego/San Isidro is for cars and buses only.)

http://www.cbs8.com/story/19145773/s...ay-mesa-border

https://maps.google.com/?ll=32.57227...20757&t=m&z=12

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:19 AM   #8258
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

7/26/12 Bay Bridge Skyway lighting test:

Quote:
Drivers on the Bay Bridge at night may have noticed that lighting fixtures for the new East Span portion of the bridge are now being tested. The tests are being conducted on the Skyway segment of the new East Span, west of Oakland and adjacent to the section of the Bay Bridge that collapsed during the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989. Seismic safety is the number one concern in building the new East Span, but Bay Area Toll Authority and MTC guidelines also include requirements that lighting the bridge be both functional and aesthetically pleasing.

...The final lighting system was designed by Musco Sports Lighting, from Oskaloosa, Iowa... Their LED lighting systems have been built in sports venues around the planet, including the official lighting for the 1984, 1996 and 2000 Olympic Games. The company flexed its lighting muscle outside the sports industry in a big way — Musco lit the Statue of Liberty for its rededication in 1986. Since then it has done lighting for the Washington Monument, the White House and now, the new East Span of the Bay Bridge.

...The LED bulbs use 50 percent less electricity than conventional lighting, and the bulbs are expected to last 10 to 15 years instead of the industry average of two years.

The 48,000 LED lights on the new East Span Skyway have each been individually aimed so that every inch of the driving deck of the bridge will have brilliant, even light. That means drivers won’t get the constant strobe-light effect that they experience on most other bridges and highways. The breakthrough design also means drivers won’t even really notice the lighting, because the lights are above and behind the drivers, illuminating the path ahead. Each pole does feature a single light at the top of the pole, which will visually guide drivers — eastbound to Oakland, and westbound to the self-anchored suspension tower and Yerba Buena Island.

While the lighting tests are now focused on the Skyway portion of the bridge (in the westbound direction, at first), the SAS tower will get its own lighting treatment after construction is complete. The lighting of the tower and its distinctive suspender cables also will be done by Musco Sports Lighting.
http://www.mtc.ca.gov/news/current_t...obb_lights.htm
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:44 PM   #8259
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-85 / I-485 interchange, Charlotte, NC

image hosted on flickr

I-85/I-485 Interchange Project - Mecklenburg County by NCDOTcommunications, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

I-85/I-485 Interchange Project Mecklenburg County by NCDOTcommunications, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

I-85/I-485 Interchange Project Mecklenburg County by NCDOTcommunications, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:46 PM   #8260
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Governor Bob McDonnell today announced that the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) entered into a comprehensive agreement and reached financial close with a group of private-sector companies to build approximately 29 miles of express lanes on I-95 from Garrisonville Road in Stafford County to Edsall Road in Fairfax County. Construction will begin on the $925 million project early next month.
http://www.governor.virginia.gov/New...se.cfm?id=1360

Sounds like the reversible HOV facility will be a thing of the past.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban