daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 7th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #8301
HAWC1506
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bellevue, WA + Munich, Bavaria
Posts: 1,280
Likes (Received): 28

The Washington State DOT recently completed a scheme to automate the reversal of the I-5 Reversible Express Lanes in Seattle.

In the past, gates and signs were manually switched and the entire reversal process took 45 minutes to an hour.

With the automation, it now takes less than 15 minutes. I've seen it done in 13.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/i5/...aneautomation/

HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2012, 02:34 AM   #8302
1Filipe1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 887
Likes (Received): 319

hi, i have a question, i usually dont comment on infrastructure threads, but i have a sincere question. Are american highways and road that bad? you hear on the news and political debates about how bad the roads are. In my area the highways are good, there all or mostly new no big issues, so i just wondered what maybe the rest of the country is like.
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #8303
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer
 
weava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Missouri/Ozarks/KC
Posts: 1,754
Likes (Received): 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
hi, i have a question, i usually dont comment on infrastructure threads, but i have a sincere question. Are american highways and road that bad? you hear on the news and political debates about how bad the roads are. In my area the highways are good, there all or mostly new no big issues, so i just wondered what maybe the rest of the country is like.
Most states have well kept interstates but many cities still have some of those early 1960s built downtown highways with tight curves/ short ramps need major updating. I think most of the bridges in the US that need replaced are on county/state roads.
I've been in 30 states and the worst roads I've been on are in Oklahoma, Iowa, and NYC.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #8304
HAWC1506
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bellevue, WA + Munich, Bavaria
Posts: 1,280
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
hi, i have a question, i usually dont comment on infrastructure threads, but i have a sincere question. Are american highways and road that bad? you hear on the news and political debates about how bad the roads are. In my area the highways are good, there all or mostly new no big issues, so i just wondered what maybe the rest of the country is like.
There is a tendency for this country to favor new construction over maintenance. As a result a lot of existing roads are neglected while new ones are built. It's a political thing. Politicians have more to gain from "ribbon-cutting ceremonies" than a maintenance project, so they tend to favor new projects over maintenance.

That said, rural roads that I've seen aren't too bad. Urban roads however are costly to fix and might be neglected for several years. I-5 in Seattle for example was built in 1962 and hasn't been touched since. Same old pavement, same old structures, etc. In some places, the pavement is literally crumbling. Just a few months ago, a chunk of concrete was sent through the windshield of a car.

In general, American roads also tend to have lower construction quality and less effort is made to make things look good (straight barriers, well-maintained pavement markings, clean overpasses, good sub-bases to prevent sinking, consistent grades, etc.) than their European or Japanese counterparts.

They do their job transporting drivers, but isn't much to be proud of when it comes to engineering perfection.
HAWC1506 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #8305
jchernin
Registered User
 
jchernin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Santa Rosa/North Bay
Posts: 508
Likes (Received): 536

The new Bay Bridge East Span weight load is being transferred from the temporary false-work to the suspender cable




http://baybridgeinfo.org/


http://www.mtc.ca.gov/news/current_t...suspension.htm
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #8307
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't
 
diablo234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,297

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The I-495 Express Lanes are nearly completed along the southwest side of the Greater Washington area. The construction in the median is Metro Rail.

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by VaDOT, on Flickr
Not to nitpik here but that is not I-495 in the photo, that is the Dulles Toll Road.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #8308
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
hi, i have a question, i usually dont comment on infrastructure threads, but i have a sincere question. Are american highways and road that bad? you hear on the news and political debates about how bad the roads are. In my area the highways are good, there all or mostly new no big issues, so i just wondered what maybe the rest of the country is like.
You're in Bethlehem? Well, look at 22 through that area and realize that until 78 was opened, about 1989, 22 was the only way through from east to west. Those curves in Easton are ridiculous for an expressway. But you've also got 78. So, a vast difference in quality in the same county. Actually, American roadgeeks and truckers seem to have been giving consistently bad marks to Pennsylvania to years, but you say in your area the highways are good.... Which just shows that a lot of such opinions are based on impressions rather than evidence. (Europeans like to brag about how their roads are so much better than ours, but if you pick out the right road from over there - the French A25, say - you'll be like "what is this shit?" And Americans like to drool over the prospect of German Autobahns with no speed limits, but don't know about the traffic....)

And how are you, or anyone, measuring "bad"? Pavement quality, congestion, how old the signs are, when's the last time anyone pruned the trees so that the signs can be read, scenery, driving habits...? I think every system and every road has its good and bad points.

What I do take seriously is all the statistics you hear about out-of-date bridges, and the like. This country needs to be a bit less allergic to spending public money. How many people died in Minneapolis?
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #8309
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Not to nitpik here but that is not I-495 in the photo, that is the Dulles Toll Road.
I was wondering what Metro line was in the middle of the Beltway.... (But I didn't look that closely.)
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #8310
1Filipe1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 887
Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
You're in Bethlehem? Well, look at 22 through that area and realize that until 78 was opened, about 1989, 22 was the only way through from east to west. Those curves in Easton are ridiculous for an expressway. But you've also got 78. So, a vast difference in quality in the same county. Actually, American roadgeeks and truckers seem to have been giving consistently bad marks to Pennsylvania to years, but you say in your area the highways are good.... Which just shows that a lot of such opinions are based on impressions rather than evidence. (Europeans like to brag about how their roads are so much better than ours, but if you pick out the right road from over there - the French A25, say - you'll be like "what is this shit?" And Americans like to drool over the prospect of German Autobahns with no speed limits, but don't know about the traffic....)

And how are you, or anyone, measuring "bad"? Pavement quality, congestion, how old the signs are, when's the last time anyone pruned the trees so that the signs can be read, scenery, driving habits...? I think every system and every road has its good and bad points.


What I do take seriously is all the statistics you hear about out-of-date bridges, and the like. This country needs to be a bit less allergic to spending public money. How many people died in Minneapolis?
I just said overall the roads in my area aren't bad. 22 near easton with the curves their repaving that area with all the curves, but the curves are horrible i hate them, and i much prefer to use 78 because of less traffic volume and i just prefer it for some reason. 22 actual pavement and such are not in bad condition, theirs lots of traffic, its typical for it to be a stand still on a regualr day, the road should be 3 lanes but overall the roads are good. On one of the interchanges of hellertown/bethlehem to 78 their redoing the road from 2 lanes total to 5 lanes total and turning lanes, so roads here overall aren't bad
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #8311
henry1394
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 75
Likes (Received): 0

http://acidcow.com/cars/3112-gasolin...dge_42_pi.html
henry1394 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #8312
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
I just said overall the roads in my area aren't bad. 22 near easton with the curves their repaving that area with all the curves, but the curves are horrible i hate them, and i much prefer to use 78 because of less traffic volume and i just prefer it for some reason. 22 actual pavement and such are not in bad condition, theirs lots of traffic, its typical for it to be a stand still on a regualr day, the road should be 3 lanes but overall the roads are good. On one of the interchanges of hellertown/bethlehem to 78 their redoing the road from 2 lanes total to 5 lanes total and turning lanes, so roads here overall aren't bad
I hope you didn't misunderstand me: your opinion's as valid as anyone else's (more, since you're a local). I'm just saying this sort of opinion is usually going to be based on impressions more than anything measurable. And any area's going to have good roads and bad; the contrast between 22 and 78 is just one example of that that I assumed you'd be familiar with.



Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1394 View Post
Whoa. When was that?
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #8313
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL
 
keokiracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Halsteren (NL)
Posts: 3,675
Likes (Received): 2629

July 16th 2009
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #8314
henry1394
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 75
Likes (Received): 0

http://acidcow.com/cars/6397-a-fiery...h-12-pics.html
henry1394 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #8315
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL
 
keokiracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Halsteren (NL)
Posts: 3,675
Likes (Received): 2629

What's the point in posting these? They're all very old... This one's from 2009 too.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #8316
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't
 
diablo234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I was wondering what Metro line was in the middle of the Beltway.... (But I didn't look that closely.)
I initially thought it was I-495 too, but then the toll booth in the upper right hand corner gave it away.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #8317
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,595
Likes (Received): 19389

I-69 Houston, TX

I-69 signs popped up along US 59 in Houston.

image hosted on flickr

Distance to IH 69 & US 59 on Beltway 8 Eastbound - 1.5 Miles by FreewayDan, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Distance to IH 69 & US 59 on Beltway 8 Eastbound - 1 Mile by FreewayDan, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Approach to IH 69 & US 59 along eastbound Beltway 8 by FreewayDan, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #8318
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

Which means, unless I'm forgetting something, FOUR disconnected segments of I-69 now....
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #8319
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,595
Likes (Received): 19389

I don't think that's a real problem. When the Interstate Highway system was constructed in the 1960s and 1970s there were many such disconnected segments.

All Interstate-standard segments of US 78 (Memphis - Birmingham) could easily be signed as I-22. No need to wait years with temporary signs until the entire route is completed.

Luckily I-49 will be signed in Missouri, they don't await the construction of I-49 across Arkansas, which could take many years if not decades.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #8320
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,241
Likes (Received): 779

I'm not sure it's actually a problem....

Now, talking of Texas:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/us...land.html?_r=1
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium