daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #8361
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
The scenery is beautiful no doubt, but the highway is old and the tightness along with the truck traffic, high tolls, and difficult terrain make it a pass for me. If going through PA, it's better to go through I-80, it's just as boring but at least it's "free" LOL.
x2

I drove out to Ohio with friends for a wedding, and the idiot route is to take the Turnpike. I crunched the numbers, and even without traffic, driving from Harrisburg to State College, then taking I-80 to this place in between Akron and Cleveland was as fast as the Turnpike (and no tolls in Pennsylvania). Going back, I drove to Buffalo to visit family, and my friends went back to Delaware. I highly encouraged them to head back to State College, but they did not want to deal with a more difficult route (more numbers to deal with), so they took the Turnpike back. They sat in a traffic jam, with the doors open and walking around on the highway, for 4 hours at one point.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #8362
timo9
11 YEARS HERE!

Likes (Received): 2077

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Much better than the view of NYC!
timo9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #8363
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Widening of the LBJ Freeway (I-635) in northern Dallas.

I guess it is the one which I saw on video render and which will have 2 levels

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #8364
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

I see many trucks on 3rd and 4th lane... is this bad lane discipline or am I missing something?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #8365
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
x2

I drove out to Ohio with friends for a wedding, and the idiot route is to take the Turnpike. I crunched the numbers, and even without traffic, driving from Harrisburg to State College, then taking I-80 to this place in between Akron and Cleveland was as fast as the Turnpike (and no tolls in Pennsylvania). Going back, I drove to Buffalo to visit family, and my friends went back to Delaware. I highly encouraged them to head back to State College, but they did not want to deal with a more difficult route (more numbers to deal with), so they took the Turnpike back. They sat in a traffic jam, with the doors open and walking around on the highway, for 4 hours at one point.
Because of where I live, the Turnpike is the obvious route west. (I don't mean west to Harrisburg or Lancaster, but to Pittsburgh or the Midwest.) And I don't jump on a toll road for one exit, so I guess I associate it with going places. And the long gaps between exits, the service areas so you don't have to hunt for a Sheetz at lunchtime, add to that feeling of...sort of being a bit removed from the immediate surroundings, on my way somewhere else.

I certainly appreciate the State College route (not sure I've ever done it westbound, actually, but I've done it two or three times eastbound) and like a good back road too. Everything has its place. But I'm not sure it'd occur to me to use 322 and 80 to get to Cleveland. (For one thing, at least for me, I'd have to use the Turnpike to Harrisburg to get to 322, so may as well stay on it.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #8366
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I see many trucks on 3rd and 4th lane... is this bad lane discipline or am I missing something?
That is quite common in U.S. urban areas. Trucks have the same speed as cars and this way they don't have to deal with frequent traffic merging from onramps.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #8367
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza
Quote:
That is quite common in U.S. urban areas. Trucks have the same speed as cars and this way they don't have to deal with frequent traffic merging from onramps.
its a combination of the traffic entering the freeway, as I-635 nears US75 some right lanes turn into "exit only" (lane drops) and finally southbound I-35E traffic exiting to I-635 eastbound enters I-635 on the left and thus difficult to move right because of other peoples stubborness of refusal to let people to move right (the stubborness is no different than anywhere else) I know driving habits, im a professional through 46 states.
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #8368
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

It's very common for trucks to be required to use the left lanes in construction zones in the US. Usually, the right shoulder will be taken out for construction and/or the ramps will be shortened creating more hazardous merging conditions.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #8369
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Unknown in Europe, but it makes sense.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #8370
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
It's very common for trucks to be required to use the left lanes in construction zones in the US. Usually, the right shoulder will be taken out for construction and/or the ramps will be shortened creating more hazardous merging conditions.
I happened on that situation last year on the Ohio Turnpike: trucks had to use the left-hand one of the two open lanes. I found it very disconcerting, because there was a line of cars behind me and the trucks were moving slowly, so I was torn between an urge to pass them on the right (knowing the cars behind me would appreciate it) and an urge not to (you know, lane discipline).

I passed.

But I'm not sure I've encountered that anywhere else; I certainly haven't encountered much of it, so maybe it's rare in the Northeast.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 5th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #8371
Nikom
Avoid the Noid

Likes (Received): 236

You just gotta love Texas highways
Nikom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #8372
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilesy View Post
I always drive 4 mph above speed limit in city and never had any problems.

Is it really that strict at Falls Church? I actually visited my friends there last week and drove through the town, but didn't see anything different from other towns.
Let me share with you my experience as far as driving in Virginia is concerned:

In 1996 my mother and I drove up to the Washington DC area by way of Interstate 95. Coming out of DC we decided to head back to Florida by way of Interstate 66 west to Front Royal and Interstate 81; then south on Interstate 81 into Tennessee and then on a brief segment of Interstate 40 to Knoxville where I picked up Interstate 75 for the trip back home.

Coming west on Interstate 66 the speed limit was indeed slow - 55 mph. As a constant reminder of Virginia's slow speed limits, Virginia State Police was parked in every place you could think of - shoulders, the median, you name it - ready to get anyone driving even 1 mph over the speed limit!

(In Florida, the Florida Highway Patrol will let you go up to 5 mph over the speed limit but you would get a warning. The exception is in a school zone, a construction zone or when you approach a toll facility and the speeding fines are doubled.)

Interstate 81 south in Virginia was no different. Again the Virginia State Police was parked anywhere - hiding out in the woods within the median strip plus the usual park on the shoulder to see who goes 1 mph over the speed limit.

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #8373
Spurdo
Fugging Awesome :D

Likes (Received): 730

image hosted on flickr

DSC_4684 by epssande, on Flickr

-Garl Tsagan

AT THE BEGINNINGS, THE UNIVERSE WAS AS SMALL AS MY TESTIGLE:DDDD, BUT IT WEIGHED AS MUCH AS YOUR MOTHER :DDDD

-galgulated by Garl Tsagan
Spurdo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #8374
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

That place is normally a mess beyond belief.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #8375
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

What's that, the GW Bridge tolls?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 6th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #8376
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
[YOUTUBE]3-OxgktBnPE[YOUTUBE]
Light traffic that day!
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #8377
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
That place is normally a mess beyond belief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
What's that, the GW Bridge tolls?
Yep. The design of the roads in that area leave a lot to be desired. Roadway splits, substandard interchanges, tiny toll plazas, lack of through lanes at certain points. Not much can be upgraded though, but all-electronic tolling should be a priority. Nothing is more annoying than having to wait in line to pay money.

The bridge carries 280,000 vehicles per day. Less than half of that is through traffic, 113,000 vehicles drive across the Trans-Manhattan Expressway underneath the buildings.

The bridge itself has sufficient capacity to handle that kind of traffic. The adjacent infrastructure, toll plazas and the interchanges in particular are the main problem. Out of the 12 lanes on the Trans-Manhattan, only six are through lanes at the I-87 interchange.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; October 6th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old October 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #8378
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 70, Utah

San Rafael Reef.

image hosted on flickr

San Rafael Reef, Utah by Pippa Robins, on Flickr
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #8379
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate275Fla View Post
Let me share with you my experience as far as driving in Virginia is concerned:

In 1996 my mother and I drove up to the Washington DC area by way of Interstate 95. Coming out of DC we decided to head back to Florida by way of Interstate 66 west to Front Royal and Interstate 81; then south on Interstate 81 into Tennessee and then on a brief segment of Interstate 40 to Knoxville where I picked up Interstate 75 for the trip back home.

Coming west on Interstate 66 the speed limit was indeed slow - 55 mph. As a constant reminder of Virginia's slow speed limits, Virginia State Police was parked in every place you could think of - shoulders, the median, you name it - ready to get anyone driving even 1 mph over the speed limit!

(In Florida, the Florida Highway Patrol will let you go up to 5 mph over the speed limit but you would get a warning. The exception is in a school zone, a construction zone or when you approach a toll facility and the speeding fines are doubled.)

Interstate 81 south in Virginia was no different. Again the Virginia State Police was parked anywhere - hiding out in the woods within the median strip plus the usual park on the shoulder to see who goes 1 mph over the speed limit.
That's every state before they raise their speed limit to 70. I've driven in several states the year after their speed limits were raised: Indiana back in 2006, Kentucky back in 2007, and Virginia last year, and in each of those states I noticed that speed traps were practically non-existent compared to just a year before. Typical... no one was really driving faster, but traffic flowed much smoother because no one was trying to play a game of chicken in the left lane.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #8380
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikom View Post
You just gotta love Texas highways
Yeah, until you actually drive on them, and than the love fades, and sometimes it even turns into rage.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban