daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 16th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #821
pwalker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Native Seattleite
Posts: 1,438
Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
And many states, Wisconsin is one, will build most of their new/upgraded freeways to full interstate standards anyways, regardless of whether or not the snazzy signs will be posted.

Interstate design exceptions are also sometimes granted. However, it did take and Act of Congress to build I-70 through the Glenwood Canyon in Colorado with a 'substandard' design (narrow shoulders, slow design speed and a few other design deficiencies). Not getting the variances would have required far, far more expensive tunneling to meet environmental regulations and could have resulted in 'no build'.

Mike
You are correct, there are exceptions to the federal interstate standards, many in mountainous areas with sharp curves, etc. But, in general, they are built to specification.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #822
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,832
Likes (Received): 6077

Here in Dubai the lane disipline is almost non-existent. It's almost a 4 - 7 lanes jungle out here
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #823
pwalker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Native Seattleite
Posts: 1,438
Likes (Received): 66

Keep right, except to pass

This whole notion of moving over to the right on US freeways varies from state to state. In many western US states, it is just common courtesy, and most adhere to it. (Idaho, Utah, Montana are good examples of states where most obey this rule.) Washington and Oregon, not so good. California, mostly good, but many newcomers (and yes, many immigrants), don't understand. The worst situation is where some drivers deliberately block the left lane because they don't want anyone going faster than the limit. This is where road rage becomes a real problem. These "do-gooders" create more problems and accidents than they realize! These people need to have their licenses revoked IMHO!

Last edited by pwalker; June 18th, 2007 at 04:24 AM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #824
LtBk
Registered User
 
LtBk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Greater Baltimore
Posts: 3,103
Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker View Post
This whole notion of moving over to the right on US freeways varies from state to state. In many western US states, it is just common courtesy, and most adhere to it. (Idaho, Utah, Montana are good examples of states where most obey this rule.) Washington and Oregon, not so good. California, mostly good, but many newcomers (and yes, many immigrants), don't understand. The worst situation is where some drivers deliberately block the left lane because they don't want anyone going faster than the limit. This is where road rage becomes a real problem. These "do-gooders" create more problems and accidents than they realize! These people need to have their licenses revoked IMHO!
Lane discipline is bad in Northern California.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #825
Alex Von Königsberg
Registered User
 
Alex Von Königsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,053
Likes (Received): 11

As I already mentioned, lane discipline in Oregon is much much better than in California. I used to live in Oregon for a short time, and I drove the whole length of I-5 (from CA to WA) several times. Very rarely did I see a left-lane hog there. Even if some drivers may occasionally stay longer in the left lane, they will always move over as soon as they notice a car behind them willing to go faster.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:18 PM   #826
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,428
Likes (Received): 890

Here people Keep right unless overtaking but tailgate really badly.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM   #827
CharlieP
Tax avoider
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 23,762
Likes (Received): 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacie View Post
New Zealand doesn't as much as it would be nice - most people sit in the centre lanes, and often people go for Sunday drives in the passing lane/fast lane.
Centre lanes? Are there actually any three-lane roads in New Zealand?!
__________________
This signature is socialist and un-American.
CharlieP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:55 PM   #828
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)
 
TheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,358
Likes (Received): 6

Regarding the speed limits in NY and PA, it wasn't so bad after all. On the way to NYC I was driving around 110 (about 70 mph), and there were almost no cops on the roads, except on a few rare occasions. There were several signs along the highway warning of speed enforcement from the air.

On the way back, I was driving 120 km/h (about 75 mph) almost the whole way, with no problems.

One interesting thing that I encountered in some construction areas on the interstates is a radar that is located above the reduced construction limit (usually 55 mph) that tells drivers their speed as they approach the construction zone. The first time it was a little freaky, because a car was passing me while approaching the radar, and the displayed speed was 70 mph in the 55 mph zone. In the beginning I thought that I was busted (even though I was going about 60 mph), until realizing that the radar is not used for enforcement

One last comment I'd like to make: it seemed to me that in general people in the US (i.e. in the areas where I drove) drive slower than people in Ontario. I was being passed like there's no tomorrow on the QEW, while going 130 km/h, but most cars on the interstates were patiently going 110-120. Just a little observation I made.
__________________
Check out my driving videos on Youtube | Please visit the Highways & Autobahns forum
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:43 PM   #829
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,591
Likes (Received): 19378

The past 2 weeks i drove a couple of thousand kilometers in Belgium, and driving there is very bad.

There is a general 120km/h limit, but around larger cities some dudes drive 90, and a lot of trucks overtaking them, but on the 3rd lane everyone keeps driving 140km/h, which makes it difficult to travel in one lane or at 120km/h speed.

Compared to Germany, Belgium is a real jungle.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:45 PM   #830
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,591
Likes (Received): 19378

You see those speedradars a lot here in The Netherlands, telling you how fast you drive. It is thought to make the drivers more conscious of the speed they drive.
Real speedtraps are always sneaky here.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM   #831
mista_a.b
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Have you ever driven in Africa. Its not just cars you have to avoid hitting.
  Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:50 PM   #832
LtBk
Registered User
 
LtBk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Greater Baltimore
Posts: 3,103
Likes (Received): 3706

Drivers in the Northeastern US tends to be slower than rest of the country except for Northern California and Florida.

Last edited by LtBk; June 23rd, 2007 at 05:25 AM.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:51 AM   #833
go_leafs_go02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London/Hamilton, Canada
Posts: 490
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Regarding the speed limits in NY and PA, it wasn't so bad after all. On the way to NYC I was driving around 110 (about 70 mph), and there were almost no cops on the roads, except on a few rare occasions. There were several signs along the highway warning of speed enforcement from the air.

On the way back, I was driving 120 km/h (about 75 mph) almost the whole way, with no problems.

One interesting thing that I encountered in some construction areas on the interstates is a radar that is located above the reduced construction limit (usually 55 mph) that tells drivers their speed as they approach the construction zone. The first time it was a little freaky, because a car was passing me while approaching the radar, and the displayed speed was 70 mph in the 55 mph zone. In the beginning I thought that I was busted (even though I was going about 60 mph), until realizing that the radar is not used for enforcement

One last comment I'd like to make: it seemed to me that in general people in the US (i.e. in the areas where I drove) drive slower than people in Ontario. I was being passed like there's no tomorrow on the QEW, while going 130 km/h, but most cars on the interstates were patiently going 110-120. Just a little observation I made.
though I find New York Inhabitants in Ontario on the QEW to be notorious for speeding as in going 130 km/h+.

Does Ontario have a reputation with border Americans as being a province where enforcement of the speed limit is very weak? Michigan drivers also speed like crazy, but i find they to, are quite diligent to stay close to the speed limit in their home-state.

No matter how fast I go, I occasionally top it off at 130 km/h on the highways, there is always someone behind me or beside me whizzing past mej.

Not complaining though :P
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:16 AM   #834
Alex Von Königsberg
Registered User
 
Alex Von Königsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,053
Likes (Received): 11

Where are the photos, Chris? Several thousands as usual? I want to see them.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:04 AM   #835
sbarn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC & Bay Area
Posts: 1,222
Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Drivers in the Northeastern US tends to be slower than reset of the country except for Northern California and Florida.
Drivers in Northern California are actually quite fast compared to most other places i've been in the country. I had a friend visit me from out of state and actually commented on how fast everyone was driving...
sbarn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:21 AM   #836
LtBk
Registered User
 
LtBk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Greater Baltimore
Posts: 3,103
Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
The past 2 weeks i drove a couple of thousand kilometers in Belgium, and driving there is very bad.

There is a general 120km/h limit, but around larger cities some dudes drive 90, and a lot of trucks overtaking them, but on the 3rd lane everyone keeps driving 140km/h, which makes it difficult to travel in one lane or at 120km/h speed.

Compared to Germany, Belgium is a real jungle.
Still better than the US.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:22 AM   #837
LtBk
Registered User
 
LtBk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Greater Baltimore
Posts: 3,103
Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Drivers in Northern California are actually quite fast compared to most other places i've been in the country. I had a friend visit me from out of state and actually commented on how fast everyone was driving...
I also read that more Northern Californian drivers hog up the left lane and drive slower than in SoCal.
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:42 AM   #838
Alex Von Königsberg
Registered User
 
Alex Von Königsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,053
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I also read that more Northern Californian drivers hog up the left lane and drive slower than in SoCal.
I am not sure about driving faster (at least not on I-5), but drivers from SoCal indeed don't block the left lane as often as the ones from NorCal. I already mentioned in one thread that I was surprised to see South Californians drive very good considering all the horror stories I have heard about them before my first trip there.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:29 AM   #839
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,591
Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Where are the photos, Chris? Several thousands as usual? I want to see them.
Jup

Will be added later. I have to make a special Belgian topic i think. I made a bunch of videos as well.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM   #840
CborG
Rick Bakker
 
CborG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Culemborg
Posts: 4,946
Likes (Received): 371

A Belgian Motorway topic is a very good idea, they have some interesting projects and a nice motorway network.Luxemburg should have a motorway topic too.
__________________
Ik ben niet gek.... Ik ben Psychisch Onverklaarbaar.
CborG no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium