daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #8461
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods
One of America's great tourist traps is near Chattanooga:

http://seerockcity.biz/browseproduct...ossville-.html

It is an impressive site, though. (Not Rock City, particularly: the setting for the city. If you're anywhere near there, the view from Lookout Mountain are worth it, and without paying Rock City's admission: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lookout_Mountain)
I wouldn't call Rock City a tourist trap anymore then I would the Tennessee Aquarium(one of the best in the USA, I might add). Now, the ore great thing about that stretch of I-24 is the sheer amount of Fireworks outlets. Some are so big they even cause the median of the interstate to be widened between Southeast and Northwest bound lanes at an exit. I will actually be going through there this week, and perhaps a gross of bottle rockets for $5 is worth a purchase at Big Daddy's Fireworks or Tennessee Alabama Fireworks.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #8462
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

I noticed those fireworks shops. Why is that?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #8463
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
I wouldn't call Rock City a tourist trap anymore then I would the Tennessee Aquarium(one of the best in the USA, I might add)....
Um, widely-marketed commercial roadside attraction, then? Like South of the Border? http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/2078

Great site, by the way...: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I noticed those fireworks shops. Why is that?
An example of the American phenomenon of putting businesses near state lines that would be illegal in the neighboring states. Fireworks are illegal in some states, but that's one of those completely unenforced laws, so if you want to shoot off fireworks in your back yard on the Fourth of July, just go to a state where they're legal to buy them....

If you've been following my trials and tribulations in Roadside Rest, you may remember (I'm not expecting you should, mind you...) I needed to get a new TV a week-and-a-half ago. I went to Delaware for it, because Delaware has no sales tax and I'm not above saving ten bucks. The very top of Delaware is therefore chock full of major retailers who get most of their customers from Pennsylvania. And liquor stores, because Pennsylvania's in the Dark Ages in that respect (when alcoholic beverages became legal again after the end of Prohibition, Pennsylvania, among many other states, immediately established a system of so-called "state stores": the only legal retailer of anything stronger than beer is the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board, and Pennsylvania wineries selling their own product. So you can find an abnormal number of wine and liquor stores in neighboring states near the Pennsylvania line. It's theoretically illegal to transport alcoholic beverages across state borders, but neither the public nor the police actually cares.)

Where I bought the TV: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...16458&t=m&z=16 [EDIT: Hmm. Not sure it centered properly; I'm talking about the Best Buy.]
Where I go for alcohol: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...08229&t=m&z=17 (Total Wine)
Take 95 to the first exit in Delaware, right at the top of the ramp, first strip mall on the right: It literally couldn't be any closer to Philadelphia without being in Pennsylvania (or New Jersey, where you have sales tax, and a toll to get back).

I find this sort of amusing.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #8464
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Interstate 24 is quite scenic in the Chattanooga, Tennessee area.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any other good photos of this location, but it looks great on Street View
This is the view heading north from that exact spot from 2010. It's pretty cool, you pretty much drop into the valley all the sudden and its one of those things that looks awesome in person. Also I-24 one you leave Chattanooga gets interesting.

Last edited by I-275westcoastfl; November 15th, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #8465
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:

New Bay Bridge melds engineering and design
By Lisa Vorderbrueggen
Contra Costa Times
Posted: 11/14/2012 09:07:47 PM PST
Updated: 11/15/2012 10:13:59 AM PST

BAY BRIDGE -- Sometimes you have to think inside the box.

When architects designed the new Bay Bridge, they drew slender, white, side-by-side decks hanging from gently draped cables over the water as if by magic.

That left Caltrans engineers with a challenge worthy of David Copperfield: Where do you hide the anchorages for the world's longest self-anchored suspension span?

Domineering, chunky piers were out of the question both for aesthetics and cost. The architects blanched at slapping onto their svelte bridge a monstrous, multistory anchorage housing.

If you cannot go down or out, you go inside.

Pushed by the architects, engineers compressed the anchorages into the "The Box," shorthand for the interior of the span's side-by-side hollow steel bridge decks. Only a trained eye can see where the decks jut out slightly into a nearly invisible wedge discernible from beneath the bridge.

It was a true marriage of engineering and aesthetics, said the project's chief engineer and architect....

Contact Lisa Vorderbrueggen at 925-945-4773, [email protected], politicswithlisav.blogspot.com or Twitter.com/lvorderbrueggen.
For more pictures (30) and entire article: http://www.contracostatimes.com/news...ing-and-design
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #8466
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradephoric View Post
America is starting to get roundabout nutty. Once somebody has in their head that roundabouts are the greatest thing since sliced bread you end up with designs like these:

Oshkosh, Wisconsin roundabouts off US41:
That and a similar interchange in Neenah, WI (US 41(I-xx)/Breezewood Ln-Bell St), as well as US 41(I-xx)/WI 21 in Oshkosh were redone that way because of the close nature of the frontage/access road intersections and the traffic FUBAR that resulted. They were real MESSES and the roundabouts have been proving themselves to be the ideal solutions for them - it's like 'where did all of the traffic congestion go?' ever since they were completed, even though traffic volumes are unchanged from 'before'.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #8467
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-30 / I-35E, Dallas, Texas

TxDOT selected a developer for the Horseshoe Project near Downtown Dallas. This is where I-30 and I-35E intersect eachother. The existing infrastructure is over 50 years old and bridges need replacement. It's also high in the list of the 100 most congested roads in Texas.

Construction will commence mid-2013 and will be finished in 2017. The project cost is $ 818 million.

1. The current 13-lane section at downtown Dallas will be widened to 20 lanes.

2. I-30 will get a new bridge across the Trinity River. The current bridge has 6 lanes and no shoulders, the new bridge will feature 14 lanes.

3. The bridges of I-35E will also be replaced. The current bridges have 9 lanes (including 1 reversible HOV lane), which will be replaced by an 18-lane facility, including 2 reversible lanes.

Old November 15th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #8468
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95 Boston metro area, Massachusetts

A 5.5 mile segment of I-95 has been widened to 2x4 lanes.

image hosted on flickr

I-93 North, New Travel Lane Open, November 15, 2012 by MassDOT, on Flickr
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #8469
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5836

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradephoric View Post
America is starting to get roundabout nutty. Once somebody has in their head that roundabouts are the greatest thing since sliced bread you end up with designs like these:

Cluster of multi-lane roundabouts near Kansas City:
Well, if it wasn't a roundabout it would have to be either stop sings or stop lights, and I'll take roundabouts over stops any day of the week.
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #8470
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

New section of interstate completed and marked

Needed upgrades to a 13 km section of US 220 in the Asheboro, NC area are complete and the highway has now been marked as a new segment of I-73/74.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=7357

http://goo.gl/maps/FwzDJ

Mike
Old November 16th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #8471
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
...Fireworks outlets. Some are so big they even cause the median of the interstate to be widened between Southeast and Northwest bound lanes at an exit.
I seriously doubt that I-24 was bifurcated to make room for a fireworks stand.

It sure is hideous, though, ruining what ought to be an especially scenic vista, and with a huge, bright red neon sign to offend people 24-7. And, to add insult to injury, I've never seen more than a handful of customers there even though it sells gas, too. I sure as hell wouldn't give them a dime of my money.

At the other end of the bifurcation, what once was a picturesque farm is now a used earthmovers lot.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #8472
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Needed upgrades to a 13 km section of US 220 in the Asheboro, NC area are complete and the highway has now been marked as a new segment of I-73/74.
Nice. It's not a new freeway though. This part already opened as a freeway in the late 1960s.

The bypass of Asheboro has an interesting median double exit (north is right):
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #8473
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The 495 Express Lanes on the I-495 in Northern Virginia open to traffic tomorrow.

Old November 16th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #8474
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Are there bridges in Europe with concrete pavement? I have never seen one. In the US, there are a lot more bridges with concrete than asphalt pavement. I have no idea why. There are almost always bumps later when the road starts deteriorating because there are 2 different surfaces.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #8475
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In most cases the concrete pavement is part of the bridge structure and cannot be repaved unless they replace nearly the entire bridge. That's why you see super smooth new asphalt alternating with poor concrete bridge decks.
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #8476
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
In most cases the concrete pavement is part of the bridge structure and cannot be repaved unless they replace nearly the entire bridge. That's why you see super smooth new asphalt alternating with poor concrete bridge decks.
How do they do it in Europe? Do they repave the bridges when repaving the roads?
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #8477
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17472

Quote:
The 495 Express Lanes on the I-495 in Northern Virginia open to traffic tomorrow.

What beautiful highway.
Old November 17th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #8478
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

Quote:
I know that, but I wonder why in the US they seems to prefer this technology while in Europe it is very rare if used at all.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #8479
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

New section of interstate to open on Monday, 2012-11-19

A 108 km section of I-69, running between IN 68 near Eberfield, IN and US 231 near Crane, IN, is expected to open to traffic during the late afternoon on Monday, 2012-11-19.

http://www.tristate-media.com/pdclar...9bb2963f4.html

Southwest end:
http://binged.it/UMJyxr

Northeast end:
http://binged.it/Qm4aRp

Area overview:
http://binged.it/RL0h5x

Mike
Old November 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #8480
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 495, Washington Beltway

First video of the 495 express lanes in northern Virginia.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban