daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #8481
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
A 67 Mile(108 km) section of I-69, running between IN 68 near Eberfield, IN and US 231 near Crane, IN, is expected to open to traffic during the late afternoon on Monday, 11-19-2012.

Last edited by brewerfan386; November 23rd, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #8482
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
A 108 km section of I-69, running between IN 68 near Eberfield, IN and US 231 near Crane, IN, is expected to open to traffic during the late afternoon on Monday, 2012-11-19.

http://www.tristate-media.com/pdclar...9bb2963f4.html

Southwest end:
http://binged.it/UMJyxr

Northeast end:
http://binged.it/Qm4aRp

Area overview:
http://binged.it/RL0h5x

Mike
I'm not clear where the southern terminus is: at the current 64/164 interchange? Is 164 going to be renumbered?

EDIT: I see - the little stub from that interchange to Ind. 68 was already open.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; November 18th, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #8483
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I know that, but I wonder why in the US they seems to prefer this technology while in Europe it is very rare if used at all.
There are many reasons. The surface layer of mastic asphalt is best available protection against infiltrating moisture for the reinforced concrete structure. This layer does also correct up to 2 cm of divergence of the concreted deck to the design gradient. And the most important reason is that the wearing out surface layer is replaceable.

I can't help you with the American motives though.

Last edited by flierfy; November 18th, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:21 PM   #8484
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Tappan Zee Bridge

The Tappan Zee Bridge (I-87 / I-287) in New York State. It is overdue for replacement. The bridge is structurally deficient and suffers from traffic congestion.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0170 by I.C. Ligget, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:23 PM   #8485
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

There's a piece in the New York Times today (Nicholas Kristof's column, on the opinion page) that, as part of a broader discussion of the way this country spends, and doesn't spend, money, mentions that our infrastructure (as rated by the World Economic Forum) has dropped from 8th* in the world to 25th since 2003.

Sigh.

*I had a different number in this post originally, because I quoted the article from memory, an hour after I read it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; November 22nd, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:18 PM   #8486
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yep. The design of the roads in that area leave a lot to be desired. Roadway splits, substandard interchanges, tiny toll plazas, lack of through lanes at certain points. Not much can be upgraded though, but all-electronic tolling should be a priority. Nothing is more annoying than having to wait in line to pay money.

The bridge carries 280,000 vehicles per day. Less than half of that is through traffic, 113,000 vehicles drive across the Trans-Manhattan Expressway underneath the buildings.

The bridge itself has sufficient capacity to handle that kind of traffic. The adjacent infrastructure, toll plazas and the interchanges in particular are the main problem. Out of the 12 lanes on the Trans-Manhattan, only six are through lanes at the I-87 interchange.
It is actually more complicated than just that. On top of everything you just mentioned GWB leads both to Manhattan and to Bronx and further into New England. It is part of I-95. In real life it means that all the upper level of the bridge is filled to the brim with 18 wheeler trucks and cars which go to Bronx and further. They cannot take exits to Manhattan since both FDR and West side HWY are not for the trucks.

Me on the other hand take it to Manhattan, but still have to stand in a huge line in the morning. The solution is that you transfer all the cargo traffic into Bronx to Tappan Zee bridge. It is also not a perfect one and need replacement, but it is way more empty than GWB.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #8487
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
It is actually more complicated than just that. On top of everything you just mentioned GWB leads both to Manhattan and to Bronx and further into New England.
It also seems to be the most vital road links between New Jersey and Long Island as well.
Old November 24th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #8488
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
Me on the other hand take it to Manhattan, but still have to stand in a huge line in the morning. The solution is that you transfer all the cargo traffic into Bronx to Tappan Zee bridge. It is also not a perfect one and need replacement, but it is way more empty than GWB.
Problem though, the Tappan Zee is dire need of renovation too.

The problem is that freight rail networks in the East Coast compared to many other parts of the US are weak, which is pretty ironic since passenger networks are the strongest by far. If there were less trucks on the road, there would be less issues.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #8489
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post

The problem is that freight rail networks in the East Coast compared to many other parts of the US are weak, which is pretty ironic since passenger networks are the strongest by far. If there were less trucks on the road, there would be less issues.
They tried building a New Freight line to NYC but that was blocked due to the Mayor not wanting any noise even with it being a duel tunnel for both passenger and freight still NYC wouldn't budget. The Second option went out the window when they canceled the I-287 Railway corridor , we still don't know why they canceled that project....first they said it was ridership which was projected to be at least 40,000 for the phase 1 and Phase 2 was up to 100,000 then they said cost which didn't make sense because half the corridor is already built but they were saying 10 billion or something like that , then they said they had no space....it was an endless amount of excuses why they canceled that Rail line....but now the region will suffer.... West of the Hudson is growing fast and most of the jobs are east of the Hudson , unless a Rail line is built by 2035 the corridor will suffer 15hr snarls...its already 6hrs on some days.... Its sad because they spent so much time and money studying the Rail , it was going to take 1000s of cars and trucks off the roads and highways and strengthen the Northern New Jersey and Lower Hudson Valley Economy... Hopefully they build it down the road...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #8490
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
It also seems to be the most vital road links between New Jersey and Long Island as well.
One of the most vital. A lot of people coming from the south and west cross Staten Island, southern Brooklyn and southern Queens. In fact, I may shortly be sitting in traffic either at the Goethals Bridge or on the Staten Island Expressway (both parts of I-278) as I'm going to Staten Island to see relatives.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #8491
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95 Jacksonville, Florida

A large $ 227 million project will commence in Jacksonville next January. The project will be a large-scale renovation project, with minor capacity additions. The Overland Bridge south of Downtown will be replaced by a new structure. This bridge currently has a 3+3+6 lane configuration. Mainline I-95 south traffic will get a third lane.

Old November 27th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #8492
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95, I-395, I-495, Springfield Interchange, VA

Another recent aerial of the Springfield Interchange in Northern Virginia.

image hosted on flickr

IMG_9459 by VaDOT, on Flickr

detail of I-95 just south of the interchange.
Old November 28th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #8493
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

that reminds me, i haven't had a plate of spaghetti in a while. just drove through it today coincidently.
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #8494
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

This project is incredible just great. Watch and enjoy Highway friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp_5_...&feature=g-all

http://www.twintowersalliance.com/images/Golden_Towers.png
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #8495
Xpressway
Experto

Likes (Received): 4043

Amazing project... Those are some super highways.
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell
Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 12:59 AM   #8496
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post

no argument here. we are way behind in making sure that our cargo is transported by rail. Also no questions about the dire need to replace Tappan Zee ASAP. But GWB problem is sooo obvious due to the only way into New England from Mid Atlantic states. Combination of Bronx, LI, New England and I-95 all in one bridge is way over what it should be. I just hope that a new Tappan Zee is not going to be too long. It is not too soon to start already!

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #8498
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

New section of interstate to open

I-781, approximately 7 km long, connecting the main gate of Fort Drum (USArmy) by US 11 with I-81 a short distance north of Watertown, NY, will open for traffic on the morning of Thursday, 2012-12-06.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...WS09/712059721

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #8499
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's hardly worth Interstate status. It has virtually no significance for through traffic, it's basically just a long offramp of I-81.
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #8500
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

lol don't mind mgk920, he's giddy with all the US41 reconstruction here in NE Wisconsin. But anyways I was through this area of NY last spring traveling from northern Vermont to Ohio and took the northern route above the Adirondack National Park, through Gouvenor, NY, and noticed that construction going on by the Fort and wondered what was happening. hmm, maybe in 20 years there could be a 2 lane interstate extended from I-81 around the north side of the National Park, around Potsdam and Malone to I-87, because to pick up the Thrustate Toll is way out of route for us Truck drivers with freight from northern Vermont going west. My point is there are some tight intersections in some of the towns we have to buttonhook through. Certainly wouldn't need to be 4-lanes. BTW I could not see any scenery as it was foggy and rainy.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban