daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #8541
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Interstate 87 - Tappan Zee Bridge

These are the proposals for the new Tappan Zee Bridge just north of New York City. The Bridge Committee has selected proposal 1. The cheapest (or better: least expensive) option. Construction is set to begin in 2013.

Proposal 1:

Proposal 2:

Proposal 3:

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #8542
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Damn! That looks serious. A while ago some vandals set fire to some rubbish underneath an Autobahn Bridge in Germany. The end result: entire bridge needed replacement.
There was a similar natural gas explosion a while back on I-10 in Louisiana between Lafayette and Baton Rouge and the entire Interstate had to be shut down for days in order to difuse the situation and repair the roadway.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #8543
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
These are the proposals for the new Tappan Zee Bridge just north of New York City. The Bridge Committee has selected proposal 1. The cheapest (or better: least expensive) option. Construction is set to begin in 2013.

Proposal 1:

Proposal 2:

Proposal 3:

will it have rail road?

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #8544
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

No it wont.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #8545
wkiehl101

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:

Proposal 1:

Not that anybody asked, but I like this one.
Old December 13th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #8546
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A rail option would made the bridge twice as expensive (at least $ 6 billion) while most rail traffic is north-south in this area anyway. However, there is space for bus lanes in the median. Critics say the bridge will not reduce congestion because there is nearly no additional highway capacity.
Old December 13th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #8547
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I think there would be a market for trains from the area west of the bridge (Rockland County, New York) that ran into Manhattan. Trains from that area now run into Hoboken, New Jersey, from which you need to take either a ferry or PATH* into the city. No idea if that's feasible or what it would cost.

*PATH: Port Authority Trans-Hudson. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey's rapid-transit lines connecting Newark and Manhattan. I went to their website for a map but - unless it the site's out of date - Hoboken service is still not restored post-Sandy!

EDIT: here's a decent map of rail lines serving the suburbs north of New York. To situate the bridge on it, note that Tarrytown is at the east end of the bridge. http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #8548
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
A rail option would made the bridge twice as expensive (at least $ 6 billion) while most rail traffic is north-south in this area anyway. However, there is space for bus lanes in the median. Critics say the bridge will not reduce congestion because there is nearly no additional highway capacity.
The Rail Project for the whole 28 miles was 6 billion not the bridge , but as usually politicians in this region play with numbers and inflate things to there likings really sad...the ridership projects were very high 70-120,000 depending the phase...buses are over capacity in this region and West of the hudson is expected to add 600,000 by 2050 so now where stuck with a horrible shafted project....for the next 100 years....hopefully they will cut corners and concrete will start falling within 20 years like they have with a few projects.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #8549
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Quote:
The Interstate Highway System grows by 180 miles today, because US 71 in Missouri is officially renumbered to I-49 between the Arkansas state line and Kansas City.
Why did they do that when it's not even through Arkansas yet? That's going to confuse people into thinking that it's one big highway. I know that the interstates were discontinuous in the past when they were still being made but I think MO jumped the gun on this.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #8550
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 35E, Dallas, TX

A developer has been selected for the first phase of widening the I-35E between I-635 and US 380 northwest of Dallas.

The first phase costs $ 1.1 billion and is financed chiefly with tolls. The final project costs $ 4.8 billion but will be done in later stages.

Phase 1 includes widening the freeway with one free general purpose lane and a two-lane tolled reversible lanes. Construction will commence in 2013.

I-35E north of downtown Dallas opened in phases between 1959 and 1963. Although a modern freeway at its time (especially closer to Dallas), most of the freeway has not changed much over the years, apart from a 1976 widening in the Carrollton area.

Old December 15th, 2012, 04:14 AM   #8551
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Actually if I am not mistaken US 50 between DC and the Bay Bridge already has a secret Interstate route designation dubbed I-595, although it is just signed as US 50.
Correct. I think 97 was planned for the route first, though. At least in some documents.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #8552
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
will it have rail road?
An earlier multimodal proposal included rail but would have cost over $15 billion. Aside from expense, one of the key elements of the proposal chosen was the speed with which it could be constructed. Including rail might have turned the Tappan Zee Bridge replacement into a decade-long ordeal.

"Plan 5":
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #8553
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
An earlier multimodal proposal included rail but would have cost over $15 billion. Aside from expense, one of the key elements of the proposal chosen was the speed with which it could be constructed. Including rail might have turned the Tappan Zee Bridge replacement into a decade-long ordeal.

"Plan 5":
The whole corridor upgrade was 15 billion not the bridge , how can a bridge cost 15 billion....? A 28 mile long Railway corridor along with 15 miles Freeway upgrades and freight upgrades does cost 15 billion. I'm so sick of politicians playing with numbers in this region when the facts are there....people aren't stupid...many continue to push for rail in both counties....

Last edited by Nexis; December 15th, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old December 15th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #8554
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Add 14 years of inflation, the usual cost escalations of transit projects and overestimates of ridership and the picture looks a lot bleaker.
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #8555
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post

The whole corridor upgrade was 15 billion not the bridge , how can a bridge cost 15 billion....? A 28 mile long Railway corridor along with 15 miles Freeway upgrades and freight upgrades does cost 15 billion. I'm so sick of politicians playing with numbers in this region when the facts are there....people aren't stupid...many continue to push for rail in both counties....
Can't you just build express boats that go back and forth across the river?
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #8556
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Can't you just build express boats that go back and forth across the river?
It's a major link, for sake!
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #8557
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

Exactly. With express boats strategically placed along the Hudson River, you can offload the people, have the boats cross the river at 3 to 5 minutes span, and then they can board the train on the other side.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #8558
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Add 14 years of inflation, the usual cost escalations of transit projects and overestimates of ridership and the picture looks a lot bleaker.
It was one of a few projects that suddenly inflated , everything else has stayed the same cost since 2000 , there are over 200 projects in this region. The politic hot buttons inflated while the non politic projects stayed the same ridership estimates were high....
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #8559
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Actually, it's not that bad an idea (I assume he was talking about boats to supplement the bridge, not replace it...) There's plenty of ferry service in the New York area now, most of it privately-owned and most of it started up since, say, 1990. So there's a market for it.

------

Another thought: Go to Google Maps, and search for "Piermont, NY." It's a couple of miles below the bridge on the west side of the river. Nexis may know the history of the place - I don't - but given the name of the place and the way it looks on the map, there must have been some boat service of some sort there. I know there's a train line along the west side of the river, through towns like Nyack. There's no regular service today, but as a kid, I took an excursion train up that way with a train-buff uncle. So revive service along that line, run it into Piermont, which may involve building a short connecting track, run boats across the river, or down to the city, from there....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #8560
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22951

Thruway head backs $3.1 Billion TZB proposal

http://www.lohud.com/article/2012121...medium=twitter

Quote:
ALBANY — The head of the state Thruway Authority has recommended a $3.1 billion plan to design and build a replacement for the Tappan Zee Bridge.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban