daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #841
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
With all due respect, I would disagree. At least in California the speeding ticket costs $190 and up. Plus, from time to time, they set up a speeding enforcement day when ten CHP cars stop speeders on one-mile stretch of a motorway by getting information from the plane that circles over the motorway. I don't think they are specifically targeting the illegal activity besides speeding.
Do you guys get warnings? I was pulled over for speeding 4 times before I ever actually got a ticket.

I've been with 3 other people who have been pulled over on the interstate, and only 1 of them actually got ticketed. If you have a clean record they'll many times just give you a warning and tell you to move on...
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #842
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

In California, they don't give warnings. Cops here are too busy to waste their time giving warnings. I was stopped 4 times and every time I was ticketed. In California they don't even attempt to start a conversation: "Hello, sir. I stopped you for speeding. I need your driving licence, registration and auto insurance. I will be back with your citation in a couple of minutes." That's all.

At the same time, I like California cops because they seem more relaxed with stopped motorists than their colleagues from other states. At least they don't automatically treat you like a felon and don't point a gun at you the moment you exit your vehicle.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #843
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
though I find New York Inhabitants in Ontario on the QEW to be notorious for speeding as in going 130 km/h+.

Does Ontario have a reputation with border Americans as being a province where enforcement of the speed limit is very weak? Michigan drivers also speed like crazy, but i find they to, are quite diligent to stay close to the speed limit in their home-state.

No matter how fast I go, I occasionally top it off at 130 km/h on the highways, there is always someone behind me or beside me whizzing past mej.

Not complaining though :P
I think the New York Drivers on the QEW feel like prisoners on a three-day pass. Anyone who has driven the thruway will know what sticklers New York's highway patrol can be. I find enforcement in New York to be much stricter then in Ontario.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #844
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

130km/h looks like a normal speed on rural freeways to me.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #845
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
130km/h looks like a normal speed on rural freeways to me.
And that's what a lot of drivers will do on USA interstates and similar highways (when the cops aren't around).

I often wish that the USA would finally take the plunge and convert all of its highway signage to 'km/h' (et al), if for no other reason than to use it as an opportunity for a 'do-over' on setting sensible speed limits....

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #846
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Speed is a very subjective thing: when I'm "in mood" (whatever that means, lol), 180 km/h (110 mph) can be slow to me, but sometimes even 130 km/h (80 mph) feels fast.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #847
b1gh0u5e

Likes (Received): 0

Someone had mentioned speed traps on the previous page and it reminded me of a trip to Mardi Gras one year in college. We drove down from Athens, Ohio and there were four of us in the car. We stopped at one of the last towns in Mississippi before you cross into Louisiana to fill up and grab some beer...please note the driver was not drinking. We got back on the interstate and about two miles down the road, we see a sign that reads "DUI and DRUG check 1 mile". About 200 meters past this sign you could see police cruisers lined up in the trees along side the highway, basically boxing in the traffic between them and the check point. The scene was hilarious as just about every car on the road was tossing items out of their windows without realizing they were being watched by the hidden police cars who would then pull them over. I would estimate this operation involved at least 50 police cars, 2 helicopters, and at least 100 officers. We did make it through the check point without incident and had a great time in New Orleans.
I can only imagine how much money the state of Mississippi makes from Mardi Gras traffic fines alone.
b1gh0u5e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #848
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Nafta Superhighway

Excuse me if this has been covered elsewhere, but what do you all think of the proposed "Nafta Superhighway?". Quietly, this is being planned to start at the Mexican border, go up through central Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. Eventually it would branch out to the west and east ending in Canada. It would be a major multi-lane highway, with rail and fiber-optic along side. There isn't a lot of talk about it.

Some say it will ultimately result in the merger of US/Mexico/Canada, and make it very easy to import cheap goods into the US, resulting in fewer jobs here. Others say, it will open up needed trucking and transportation corridors and be good for the economy overall.

Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by pwalker; June 27th, 2007 at 04:29 AM.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #849
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Drivers in the Northeastern US tends to be slower than rest of the country except for Northern California and Florida.
I wouldnt call driving in florida slow people on the highways do anywhere from 10-30mph over. On the roads where there is less traffic the same i dont think many people actually go the speed limit.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #850
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

The "NAFTA Superhighway" is also known as the I-69 extension, which will directly impact me.

Currently I-69 ends at I-465 in NE Indianapolis, IN. The state of Indiana has identified and approved a route that would extend I-69 SW from Indy to Evansville. This extension will cut through my hometown of Bloomington. The state has allocated $700 million to the construction of this freeway with work beginning in 2008.

I am against new terrain I-69. Ultimately, your opinion of the NFATA highway will depend on your opinion of NAFTA itself. I ardently oppose NAFTA and its devastating consequences on American manufacturing and Mexican farming, which has led to increased illegal immigration into the US. Go to www.citizen.org/trade and read about the insidious aspects of NAFTA.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #851
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I wouldnt call driving in florida slow people on the highways do anywhere from 10-30mph over. On the roads where there is less traffic the same i dont think many people actually go the speed limit.
What is it with Ohio and interstate highway slowpokes? If I am on an interstate highway roadtrip and I come upon on left-lane slowdown, more often than not the first car in that line has Ohio plates.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #852
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I found an old topic in my Dutch autosnelwegen.nl forum.

Old June 28th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #853
Verso
Islander

Isn't the monster called Trans-Texas Corridor? Or it's really gone so far that it doesn't involve only Texas anymore?
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #854
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

No, it's gone beyond that. While not many are talking about it, plans are underway for a huge transportation corridor from Mexico to Canada. I think it is "back burner" for many because it will take decades to build. But it is a major change in transportation for the US, and the political ramifications are far and wide, whatever side you take on immigration. It is certainly about transportation, but it is also about joining together North America, economically and perhaps socially. I hope the next administration brings this project more out in the open, either pro or con, so atleast the people can weigh-in more than they are currently.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #855
Verso
Islander

So how long is it supposed to be? The main line (Mexico - Canada), as well as all branch lines planned (if I got it right).
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #856
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Isn't the current I-35 good enough? Doesn't like to me that that road is so busy outside the urban areas.

However the I-35 goes through quite a lot of large urban areas; San Antonio, Austin, Worth Fort/Dallas, Oklahoma City, Wichita, Kansas City, Des Moines, Minneapolis/Saint Paul and Duluth.
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #857
icracked
Kulia I Ka Nu'u

Likes (Received): 42

Pictures of various interstate/freeways in Honolulu city and county (To foreign folks out there, 50th U.S. state). Honolulu as the World's most isolated city, it does have a damn good freeway/interstate system that are very well kept, just to show you the strength of the U.S. highway system.
The three interstates in Honolulu county are very well kept as you can see.

Next two pictures shows the more "traditional" side of Honolulu county with dense rain forest and waterfall slopes on mountains.

Entering Honolulu from the Honolulu International Airport.
icracked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #858
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

I like the first picture of Honolulu a lot! It looks even more like Madrid
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #859
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

I like that impressive winding interstate thru those rainforests, very cool!

Impressive density of highrises in the background there.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #860
Verso
Islander

Kewl pix! Btw:
Quote:
Originally Posted by icracked View Post
I thought the max. speed limit in Hawaii was 55 mph!

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban