daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #8581
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Speaking as someone who occasionally drives into Washington from the northeast and who's gotten to the point where I'd rather go around the Beltway to Cabin John and take the GW in than use New York, or 16th or Connecticut.... I'd be glad to stay on the Anacostia for a few miles farther if it meant I could stay on freeways right downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I was thinking more in terms of traffic getting from say the Maryland suburbs to DCA/Arlington since through traffic heading to those destinations as of right now still has to utilize US 50 which is incredibly time consuming, with the new connection to the Anacostia Freeway they can effectively bypass the traffic lights/congestion on New York Avenue (although traffic heading into DC proper as the final destination will still probably use New York Avenue regardless).
Both your scenarios make sense, and I hadn't considered them.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #8582
tradephoric

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
But I think that the whole idea of DDI works best in places where there is a lot of traffic entering/leaving freeway. If most of the traffic is turning into freeway or coming from the freeway then synchronization along the arterial doesn't matter that much as relatively fewer cars drive just straight through the interchange.
In places where very few drivers turn from the arterial to freeway then DDI might loose some of it advantages by blocking through traffic and disturbing synchronization.
Keep in mind that drivers entering the freeway still must drive thru one of the two traffic signals along the DDI before entering the freeway (for drivers making a left onto the freeway). Same goes for half the drivers exiting the freeway. Here is an innovative interchange design that has similar characteristics to a DDI but greatly improves progression since the traffic signals only need to stop one direction of travel along the arterial. The design also reduces the traffic volumes driving thru the signals by rerouting drivers turning left onto the freeway. It's called the Folded Interchange:

tradephoric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #8583
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

That looks interesting. Was it ever build somewhere? Would like to see one working.

But the loop slip roads require larger land footprint than DDI so I guess it couldn't be used everywhere.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #8584
tradephoric

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post

That looks interesting. Was it ever build somewhere? Would like to see one working.
I don’t know of any that have been built. The interchange of US40 at I-695 is currently a Parclo B4 interchange in Frederick, Maryland that has been studied for conversion. The interchange in the picture posted above is at I-526 & Rivers Ave. in North Charleston, South Carolina. Out of the roughly 100 known Parclo B4 interchanges in the United States & Canada the Parclo B4 in North Charleston would be an ideal candidate to test out the folded interchange design (would require minimal costs to construct since Rivers Ave. has a 100 foot wide median and the bridge span of I-526 is long enough to fit the extra left-turn lanes).

Quote:
But the loop slip roads require larger land footprint than DDI so I guess it couldn't be used everywhere.
The folded interchange is essentially a Parclo B4 interchange with the added Diverging Diamond type left turn feature. Of the cities where Parclo interchanges are widespread (i.e. Toronto and L.A), the Parclo A4 is chosen almost exclusively over the Parclo B4 (in the Toronto area there are roughly 100 Parclo A4's and zero Parclo B4's). It's tough to find interchanges that could easily be converted to a folded interchange mainly because the Parclo B4 is much less common than the A4 design.
Old December 20th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #8585
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Interstate 244 Tulsa, Oklahoma

The I-244 bridges across the Arkansas River in Tulsa, Oklahoma are being replaced. The westbound bridge opened to traffic today. The westbound bridge cost $ 78 million and includes a lower deck for possible future rail. The eastbound bridge will be constructed starting next summer and costs $ 45 million.

Adjacent to the I-244 bridge is the historic 11th Street Bridge which opened in 1915 and carried U.S. Route 66. It is closed to traffic since 1980 and in quite a poor condition, even pedestrians are not allowed.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #8586
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-93 Zakim Bridge, Boston, MA

image hosted on flickr

Boston, Zakim Bridge, New Lighting, December 2012 by MassDOT, on Flickr
Old December 21st, 2012, 02:06 AM   #8587
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradephoric View Post
I don’t know of any that have been built. The interchange of US40 at I-695 is currently a Parclo B4 interchange in Frederick, Maryland that has been studied for conversion.
Did you mean Catonsville, MD by any chance?

I-695 runs nowhere near Frederick, MD.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 03:36 AM   #8588
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I kept track of new freeway openings in the United States this year.

In 2012, 231 miles of new freeway opened to traffic in 13 states (as of today). Indiana opened the most, with 67 miles of new freeway, all of it belongs to I-69. Follow-up is Texas with 48 miles of new freeway. Wisconsin comes in third with 31 miles of new freeway. California and Missouri opened just 3 miles each. I excluded the upgrade of US 71 to I-49 in Missouri because most of it was done prior to 2012.

This includes Interstate Highways, U.S. Highways and State Highways built to freeway standards.
71 to I-49 actually did include a lot of upgrades because it wasn't a freeway. Over the last 2 years they removed 15 at grade crossings with overpasses and had to add access roads along parts of it where people had driveways coming right off of 71.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:20 AM   #8589
tradephoric

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Did you mean Catonsville, MD by any chance?

I-695 runs nowhere near Frederick, MD.
Yes. I did indeed mean Catonsville, MD! For whatever reason the study i read listed the city as Frederick.
Old December 21st, 2012, 02:20 PM   #8590
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
71 to I-49 actually did include a lot of upgrades because it wasn't a freeway. Over the last 2 years they removed 15 at grade crossings with overpasses and had to add access roads along parts of it where people had driveways coming right off of 71.
True, but they didn't add any new mileage. It was a reconstruction of the existing roadway.

Upgrades of existing roads into freeways are often hard to get into statistics. Often they open just one interchange at the time and frequently they even partially open interchanges, making it hard to give an exact opening date.
Old December 21st, 2012, 03:40 PM   #8591
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradephoric View Post
Yes. I did indeed mean Catonsville, MD! For whatever reason the study i read listed the city as Frederick.
US 40 is named Frederick Road there. I think....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 05:55 PM   #8592
gannman1975

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
US 40 is named Frederick Road there. I think....
US 40 is Baltimore National Pike at that location. There is an interchange on I-695 a bit further down at MD 144 that is undergoing reconstruction/bridge replacement - this road is called Frederick Rd
gannman1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 06:00 PM   #8593
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

And I was thinking of Edmonson too; that's why I was hesitant.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 06:11 PM   #8594
gannman1975

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
And I was thinking of Edmonson too; that's why I was hesitant.

40 does do a number of name-changes in the Baltimore area. It enters the City as Pulaski Highway from the NE. At about Ellwood Ave, it veers right to become Orleans St. Once it crosses the viaduct into Downtown, it splits to become a pair of one-way streets (Franklin St WB, Mulberry St EB). Aside from a brief stint on the old I-170 "freeway to nowhere", US40 continues as such until just west of the Amtrak overpasses to merge into one street, carrying the Franklin St name. This soon ends at a T-intersection at Edmondson Ave, as 40 picks this name up. Just before the City-County line to the west, Edmondson branches off to the left, and 40 becomes Baltimore National Pike.
gannman1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:50 AM   #8595
tradephoric

Here are SimTraffic models of a PARCLO B4 Interchange and a Folded Interchange. Each model is running the same traffic volumes for each turning movement.

PARCLO B4 INTERCHANGE

FOLDED INTERCHANGE

The PARCLO B4 is a great interchange design as it improves coordination along the arterial while reducing delays for drivers coming off the freeway (when compared to the PARCLO A4).

The Folded Interchange improves on the basic PARCLO B4 design by rerouting the left-turners on the arterial. It allows the vehicles on the arterial entering onto the freeway to bypass one set of traffic signals improving overall arterial capacity.
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #8596
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95 in Philadelphia.

image hosted on flickr

Philadelphia Skyline by I.C. Ligget, on Flickr
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #8597
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17483

great view Merry christmas
Old December 26th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #8598
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19130

Yeah, great shot!
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #8599
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Cool video:

jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #8600
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95, I-395, I-495, Springfield Interchange, VA

Springfield Interchange again? Yes, because it's one-of-a-kind and probably the only one along the East Coast that can outdo Texas.

image hosted on flickr

Springfield Interchange by VaDOT, on Flickr

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban