daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #8601
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Springfield Interchange again? Yes, because it's one-of-a-kind and probably the only one along the East Coast that can outdo Texas.
If by the East Coast you mean the "East Coast" in it's entirety and not the "Northeast" then I would argue that the Spaghetti Junction in Atlanta is just as impressive.

image hosted on flickr

Panaramic view of spaghetti junction - Atlanta GA. by Sharondelphia, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Spaghetti Junction (I-85/I-285) by CosmoPhotography, on Flickr
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #8602
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
If by the East Coast you mean the "East Coast" in it's entirety and not the "Northeast" then I would argue that the Spaghetti Junction in Atlanta is just as impressive.
Uh, no. The Springfield has segregated HOV-to-HOV ramps in two directions, which kicks the impressiveness quotient to a whole 'nother level. Spaghetti Junction is taller and looks better, but it's not in the same league.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #8603
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

I agree. The Spaghetti Junction is impressive, but in the end is a fairly regular symmetrical stack of which there are dozens in Texas.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #8604
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
I agree. The Spaghetti Junction is impressive, but in the end is a fairly regular symmetrical stack of which there are dozens in Texas.
What makes Spaghetti Junction impressive is that it, and others in Atlanta, were built in the 1980's when California-style box girders were popular for ramps. That's why it not only has the scale of a typical Southern California interchange, it has the look as well.

The Springfield Interchange is much bigger and more complex, but it's not as tall as Spaghetti Junction in Atlanta or most interchanges in Texas or California. In fact, it's quite underwhelming in person compared to its size on a map.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 04:12 AM   #8605
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
What makes Spaghetti Junction impressive is that it, and others in Atlanta, were built in the 1980's when California-style box girders were popular for ramps. That's why it not only has the scale of a typical Southern California interchange, it has the look as well.

The Springfield Interchange is much bigger and more complex, but it's not as tall as Spaghetti Junction in Atlanta or most interchanges in Texas or California. In fact, it's quite underwhelming in person compared to its size on a map.
That is true the Springfield interchange is really not that great to see in real life compared to Texas stacks or the one in Atlanta.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #8606
Squiggles

Likes (Received): 22

Squiggles is on vacation!

Taking a break from cold, dreary Wisconsin to go to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA. First day we flew into Vegas, I lost a bit of cash. Day two is the drive from Vegas to our hotel in Santa Clarita. Here's some Interstate 15 from the car ride.

And finally, a somewhat famous road name and exit in the middle of the California desert.

Squiggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #8607
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I see they added some kind of shoulder running or truck lanes along I-15. A widening on-the-cheap, but necessary.
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #8608
Squiggles

Likes (Received): 22

The inclined areas of the freeway looked to be in good shape. The lanes are obviously for trucks and other heavy vehicles for getting through the hills, but traffic was so heavy that it just sort of created a third lane to loosen everything else up. The speed limit is 70 through most of the desert, but we dropped down below 30 numerous times.
Squiggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #8609
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Congestion in the desert?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #8610
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Holiday traffic between southern California and Vegas, I suppose....

(Closest I've ever been to there is L.A.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #8611
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

It will be - 'I-41'

AASHTO and the FHWA have laid their hands upon the US 41 corridor from just south of the Illinois-Wisconsin state line to I-43 in Howard (suburban Green Bay), WI and decreed that once a few construction-related and administrative loose ends are tied up, it will henceforth be known as 'I-41'. This new I-route will follow current I-894 and US 45 through Milwaukee County.

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/...tate-41-number

No word was given on the fate of the markings of current US 41 in the corridor, except that the part in Milwaukee County will be removed from the city streets and I-94 south of downtown and rerouted to follow the above routing.

(I would have preferred an extension of an existing I-route to the south, with my favorite being 'I-65', but IDOT was balking.)

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #8612
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Congestion in the desert?
I-15 between metro Los Angeles, CA and Las Vegas, NV frequently clogs up during holiday seasons. Traffic in that corridor is such that a private entity is working on serious plans to use Union Pacific's facilities to run passenger trains between Los Angeles Union Station and downtown Las Vegas.

Mike
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #8613
Jeskaj

Likes (Received): 3

Last year I drove on the I-15 from Los Angeles to Las Vegas in summertime with much traffic on the road. (I suppose it was on 3th of July). Definitly one of my favourite Interstates.
Jeskaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #8614
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't understand why they let I-41 begin at the Illinois border. This creates a useless multiplex with I-94. I'd say let it run from Milwaukee to Green Bay or extend I-55 or I-65 further north.

Concurrencies are somewhat more common in the U.S. than they are in Europe. The roots, no doubt, lie in the fact that route numbering has historically been more important than in Europe. You will rarely find concurrencies of more than a dozen miles along European motorways (except for E-routes), while some American Interstate Highway concurrencies are over 100 miles long.
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #8615
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
I don't understand why they let I-41 begin at the Illinois border. This creates a useless multiplex with I-94. I'd say let it run from Milwaukee to Green Bay or extend I-55 or I-65 further north.

Concurrencies are somewhat more common in the U.S. than they are in Europe. The roots, no doubt, lie in the fact that route numbering has historically been more important than in Europe. You will rarely find concurrencies of more than a dozen miles along European motorways (except for E-routes), while some American Interstate Highway concurrencies are over 100 miles long.
I suspect that starting it at the border leaves the options open for it to someday be extended farther southward ( ), perhaps to supplant US 41 in its corridor all the way to I-24 near Hokinsville, KY. That would be a much more direct route southward from the Chicagoland area towards the Nashville, Atlanta and beyond areas than current routes now are.

This also gives I-94 in the Chicago-Milwaukee corridor a proper and far less confusing north-south route number.

BTW, the longest I-route concurrency is I-80/90 between Gary, IN and Elyria, OH.

Mike
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #8616
sotonsi

I-41 will start south of the WI/IL border, where the US41/I-94 concurrency to Milwaukee has its southern end.

It's not that they 'let' I-41 start there, it is that it is basically US41(I).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #8617
sotonsi

I-41 will start south of the WI/IL border, where the US41/I-94 concurrency to Milwaukee has its southern end.

It's not that they 'let' I-41 start there, it is that it is basically US41(I).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #8618
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
I suspect that starting it at the border leaves the options open for it to someday be extended farther southward ( ), perhaps to supplant US 41 in its corridor all the way to I-24 near Hokinsville, KY. That would be a much more direct route southward from the Chicagoland area towards the Nashville, Atlanta and beyond areas than current routes now are.

This also gives I-94 in the Chicago-Milwaukee corridor a proper and far less confusing north-south route number.

BTW, the longest I-route concurrency is I-80/90 between Gary, IN and Elyria, OH.

Mike
So the current 94 from just south of the state line to the 43/94/894 interchange will be 41/94? (And the east-west piece of 894 will be 41/43/894? Or are they dropping 894 so it'd just be 41/43? By the way, this gives us a wrong-way multiplex of 41 south/43 north and vice-versa, actually running east-west, through southwestern Milwaukee County, doesn't it?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #8619
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
So the current 94 from just south of the state line to the 43/94/894 interchange will be 41/94? (And the east-west piece of 894 will be 41/43/894? Or are they dropping 894 so it'd just be 41/43? By the way, this gives us a wrong-way multiplex of 41 south/43 north and vice-versa, actually running east-west, through southwestern Milwaukee County, doesn't it?)
For now, I-894 will stay marked as such. Yes, it will be a wrong-way duplex and both I-routes will end at each other in the Green Bay area. This will be the third section of highway in the USA to carry three I-route numbers.

IMHO, I would also reroute I-94 to replace I-894, with I-94 between the Zoo and Marquette interchanges becoming 'I-794'. The part of I-94 between the Marquette and Mitchell interchanges would then simply be 'I-43'.

Mike
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #8620
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeskaj View Post
Last year I drove on the I-15 from Los Angeles to Las Vegas in summertime with much traffic on the road. (I suppose it was on 3th of July). Definitly one of my favourite Interstates.
3 years ago I was driving on Friday evening from LA to Vegas and it was very busy all the way, even at 10-11pm.
It is one of the places where bad lane discipline really affects the flow of traffic. Usually I don't mind on the rural interstates but here one or two morons hogging left lane can cause some major delays.
Does anyone knows what is the AADT on the desert stretch of I-15?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban