daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #8701
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Atlanta paper's story:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/t...georgia/nT9xH/

Presumably they'll keep updating it - the title in the link's already obsolete....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Suburbanist liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #8702
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Original
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:56 PM   #8703
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Is that a lorry on its side?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:05 PM   #8704
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Yep.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:22 PM   #8705
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Such signs do not tell you anything about the exit configuration in advance. Especially whether there are 1 or 2 exit lanes or a taper configuration.
Of course they do:

Old January 31st, 2013, 05:47 PM   #8706
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Is that supposed to be road signage?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:50 PM   #8707
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

LOL.

It is ugly. And I find the sort of stacking effect (The M23(S) panel appearing on a different level than the others) confusing, although, as is often the case with signage issues, it probably comes down to what you're used to. And it's a matter of opinion and taste.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 31st, 2013, 07:26 PM   #8708
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Weather-related trouble on 75 again, several states north of yesterday's: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2590610.html

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 1st, 2013, 07:15 PM   #8709
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-35W Fort Worth, Texas

Cool updated video of the I-35W upgrade in Fort Worth.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer, Suburbanist liked this post
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:03 PM   #8710
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Virginia transportation plan

Virginia DOT launched a new website:

http://www.varoadtothefuture.virginia.gov/

The plan is to radically change the way transportation in Virginia is funded. The governor has proposed to scrap the state gas tax entirely and replace it by raising the sales tax from 5 to 5.8%, with a portion dedicated to transportation funding. The list of projects to be funded is rather unimpressive though, with no projects within the next 5 years funded greater than $ 100 million. Most revenue goes to maintenance, repaving and some interchange projects.

The idea is that indexing the state gas tax for inflation, or even raise it, is so unpopular it will eventually lead to a near-drying up of funding. This is already visible because very few large projects are viable with tax funding (not only in Virginia). The governor pointed out that the sales tax is a more stable source of funding, while not jeopardizing Virginias status as a low-tax state (gas tax and sales tax are apparently already lower than most neighboring states).

What do you think of this plan to replace the gas tax with a higher sales tax dedicated to transportation?
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:13 AM   #8711
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Cool updated video of the I-35W upgrade in Fort Worth.

Another awesome Texas highway, drove that section too last month. I'll come back someday when its all completed lol.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:30 AM   #8712
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Virginia DOT launched a new website:

http://www.varoadtothefuture.virginia.gov/

The plan is to radically change the way transportation in Virginia is funded. The governor has proposed to scrap the state gas tax entirely and replace it by raising the sales tax from 5 to 5.8%, with a portion dedicated to transportation funding. The list of projects to be funded is rather unimpressive though, with no projects within the next 5 years funded greater than $ 100 million. Most revenue goes to maintenance, repaving and some interchange projects.

The idea is that indexing the state gas tax for inflation, or even raise it, is so unpopular it will eventually lead to a near-drying up of funding. This is already visible because very few large projects are viable with tax funding (not only in Virginia). The governor pointed out that the sales tax is a more stable source of funding, while not jeopardizing Virginias status as a low-tax state (gas tax and sales tax are apparently already lower than most neighboring states).

What do you think of this plan to replace the gas tax with a higher sales tax dedicated to transportation?
Hmmm. I'll point out two political oddities about Virginia: (1) they elect their governors the year after the Presidential election. (New Jersey's the only other state that does that.) (2) their governors can't run for re-election. Put these two facts together and you'll realize that the current governor's leaving office at the end of this year. Which means that whatever he's thinking, his motive is not winning re-election.

Someone else can address the policy implications of relying on the sales tax vs. the gas tax....

EDIT: Another thought, or two:
1) How much is the gas tax now? Scrapping it entirely would do what to Virginia gas prices?
2) Does this mean they're no longer thinking of tolling 95?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:41 AM   #8713
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
1) How much is the gas tax now? Scrapping it entirely would do what to Virginia gas prices?
2) Does this mean they're no longer thinking of tolling 95?
The current state gas tax is about 17 or 18 cents, so the gas price would be lowered by that.

I think the I-95 tolling plan is still on the table, the main reason is that even the sales tax dedicated to transportation cannot fund large-scale projects. It takes more than 0.8% of sales tax to fund the transportation needs of Virginia.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:27 PM   #8714
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
I think it's about the most moronic idea I've heard of in quite some time. Overdependence upon imported petroleum is one of the US's biggest and most intractable problems, and using general taxes to further subsidize petroleum consumption will only make the situation worse.

These are the same people, by and large, who have suggested that the allocation of votes in the presidential electoral college should be changed in such a way that the Republican could win the presidency with only 47% of the vote.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:59 PM   #8715
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 10, San Bernardino Freeway, Los Angeles

The I-10 Express Lanes east of Downtown Los Angeles will open to traffic on February 23. The original El Monte Busway has been widened to 4 express lanes, providing additional capacity along I-10 from I-605 to Downtown. They have the same concept as the I-110 Harbor Freeway Express Lanes which opened a few months ago.

Capacity is now 14 lanes between I-5 and I-710.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:03 PM   #8716
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
I think it's about the most moronic idea I've heard of in quite some time. Overdependence upon imported petroleum is one of the US's biggest and most intractable problems, and using general taxes to further subsidize petroleum consumption will only make the situation worse.

These are the same people, by and large, who have suggested that the allocation of votes in the presidential electoral college should be changed in such a way that the Republican could win the presidency with only 47% of the vote.
Heck, they won a majority in the House with about 47% of the vote. Although, to some degree that's hard to avoid (If you have urban districts that are 90% Democratic, some Democratic votes are going to be "wasted" unless you deliberately gerrymander the districts to avoid it.)

I wasn't going to mention McDonnell's (sp?) right-wingishness. (Google "Governor Ultrasound" or "government so small a woman can fit it in...")

Ahem. I'll be good now.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:33 PM   #8717
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post

And you would propose to fund large road infrastructure project how? I'm sure just repaving won't be sufficient in a long term given the still rapidly growing population of most states in US.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:36 PM   #8718
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Presumably he'd favor keeping, or increasing, the gas tax?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:00 PM   #8719
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Presumably he'd favor keeping, or increasing, the gas tax?
He'd be a part of a really tiny minority then. The other option of course would be to build just toll roads. Perhaps that's the way to go. Works just fine in many West European countries.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:06 PM   #8720
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I'm not sure paying French-level tolls is "working just fine." $70.00 for Paris to Bordeaux?

Actually, Virginia has what may have been the first privately-owned toll road in the country since the early-20th-century Long Island Motor Parkway: the Dulles Greenway. But I do have a problem with a state's slapping tolls on existing roads that were built with Federal funds, i.e., the bulk of the Interstate system.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban