daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #8741
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFZANMNIM View Post
How about something like this?:
What you have posted would be an exit direction sign for CA-22 although the diagonal arrows would be up-and-right versus down-and-right. My drawings are advance guide signs that are upstream from the actual exit. Also, your signs would still violate the 2009 MUTCD because there are two down-arrows pointing to the same lane.

However, as part of the discussion on the AARoads Forum, I did create this sign drawing based on another member's suggestion that has some resemblance to your suggestion...

The only problem with this style is if the control city for CA-57 is "Sacramento" or "Philadelphia", it wouldn't fit on the sign.

Last edited by myosh_tino; February 6th, 2013 at 12:27 AM.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #8742
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

I could use an up arrow sign. One thing I don't like and I try to avoid is the "Only" yellow box which looks akward. When the sign points accurately at every lane.
And BTW, for the part you said there are two arrows pointing at one lane, that depends on perspective. Like this picture:
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #8743
NFZANMNIM

And this sign is simmilar to my desing (in some ways) and is in Louisiana:
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #8744
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
I could use an up arrow sign. One thing I don't like and I try to avoid is the "Only" yellow box which looks akward. When the sign points accurately at every lane.
And BTW, for the part you said there are two arrows pointing at one lane, that depends on perspective. Like this picture:
That diagram appears to be from the 2003 MUTCD. The MUTCD was revised in 2009 and that diagram has been removed.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #8745
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino View Post

That diagram appears to be from the 2003 MUTCD. The MUTCD was revised in 2009 and that diagram has been removed.
Looks like Maryland, minus the wretched Clearview. Highway Gothic 4 Lyfe.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #8746
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

I-5 Santa Ana Freeway, Norwalk, California

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...190102061.html

Construction begins on a one mile segment of I-5 in Norwalk (southeast of Los Angeles) to widen the freeway from six to ten lanes. It's a part of the multi-phase widening of I-5 between CA-91 and I-710 to 10 lanes. This is one of the worst bottlenecks in California, nearly all other freeways in the region have 10 lanes, but a 6-lane bottleneck remained for a long time near the county line.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #8747
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino View Post
The only problem with this style is if the control city for CA-57 is "Sacramento" or "Philadelphia", it wouldn't fit on the sign.
"Sacto" and "Phila." (I've actually seen "Phila" on BGSs. No clue about "Sacto" though.)

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #8749
NFZANMNIM

Nice video
Also a nice music.
It still is funny for me after all the time I've been familliar with the subject that there still exists one significant country that uses units other than Km...
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #8750
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Lets not go there about the metric thing, unless you want 5-6 pages of utterly pointless flame war.
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #8751
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19142

Quote:
Nice video
Also a nice music.
It still is funny for me after all the time I've been familliar with the subject that there still exists one significant country that uses units other than Km...
UK also uses miles on roads, but lets not go to this discussion again
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #8752
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
UK also uses miles on roads
Yes, that was quite a slight in the way it was phrased.

And yes, the metric/miles discussion isn't that fruitful.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #8753
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Now that we have established that having the metrication debate again is a complete waste of time and bytes...
Here is the new Zoo Interchange (I-94/I-894/US 45/Future I-41) in Milwaukee, WI set to start construction this spring:

Project site:
http://projects.511wi.gov/web/zoo-interchange-project

ChrisZwolle liked this post

Last edited by brewerfan386; February 9th, 2013 at 11:07 PM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:21 AM   #8754
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Renderings of the Interstate 4 reconstruction that will take place between 2014 and 2020 and adds 4 express lanes in the median and entirely rebuilds the existing freeway. The project cost is $ 2.1 billion.

I agree, Interstate 4 through Orlando is in need of a desperate makeover despite so many widenings that have taken place over the years.

First, the Kirkman Road exit that ties in with Universal Studios Orlando. Those left lane exits are a hazard, especially when you are coming to Universal from the Tampa/St. Petersburg area and - all of a sudden - you have to be in the left lane if the variable message signs tell you to use Kirkman Road. Moreover, if you are not headed to Universal but you are staying in lodging that is immediately adjacent to Interstate 4 and Kirkman Road and if you are coming from the west, if your lodging is on the right hand (east) side of Kirkman coming off of eastbound Interstate 4 you have to do a quick yet dangerous merge to the right. I know this because I stayed on a few occasions at a hotel in this immediate area.

Second, the interchange with FL Toll 408 at Interstate 4 in downtown Orlando. The double trumpet interchange that connects FL Toll 408 with Interstate 4 was built in the early 1970's and is functionally obsolete. The ramp movements that I have seen in the renderings when constructed will make transitioning from FL Toll 408 (also known as the East-West Expressway) to Interstate 4 and vice versa much smoother and without having to change lanes as you have to do now on the trumpet interchange.

Overall, the improvements will bring a lot of relief to Orlando area motorists who use these roads daily, especially during the morning and evening commutes. Moreover, the Florida DOT is timing the improvements right: Construction is set to begin in 2014, right about the same time that the first segment of SunRail (Orlando's commuter rail system) is opened. I apologize for being slightly off topic; wouldn't the Florida DOT highly encourage commuters to consider using SunRail while the reconstruction of Interstate 4 takes place? It's been done before in Florida: Tri-Rail (South Florida's commuter rail system) was originally supposed to be a temporary commuter rail service while reconstruction of Interstate 95 was taking place; right after all was said and done on Interstate 95 reconstruction in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area Tri-Rail became a permanent fixture in the South Florida commuter landscape.

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #8755
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

re Tennessee: I-24 West Chattanooga to Monteagle, one of the most interesting aspects of that stretch is... while most states have a favored bridge type that's used throughout a project, almost all of the bridges over I-24 west of Chattanooga have slightly different designs. Nothing really crazy, just a little bit different. In 2012 I drove this stretch twice a week and took some photos I'll probably never post, but the narrative I composed in my head had much to do with how in Georgia it was easy to tell when the successive sections of the route (I-75) were built due to the uniform design features from the period during which they were built. In Tennessee, not so much. In fact, my only clue as to when I-24 was built was the dip through Georgia, where the bridge designs were clearly from 1965. OK, Georgia dates its bridges, too, but the ones carrying I-24 there have a railing design that was used only for a very brief period-- in 1964-65.

That grade west of Monteagle, near the end of the video, could really use a climbing lane in the eastbound direction. It's not unusual for truck drivers who are a little overoptimistic about how to drive that grade slow the traffic to 35 mph (50 kph) or so.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:13 AM   #8756
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
That grade west of Monteagle, near the end of the video, could really use a climbing lane in the eastbound direction. It's not unusual for truck drivers who are a little overoptimistic about how to drive that grade slow the traffic to 35 mph (50 kph) or so
over optimistic about passing then entering the left lane? or do you mean slowing traffic to 35mph in the right lane?
we don't slow to 35 on purpose, we have the pedal to the metal(plastic) when going up hill, theres just a little bit of weight in our trailer being affected by gravity. That forces us to downshift otherwise the engine will stall from low RPM's (yes, sarcastic, condescending overtone, don't read too seriously) Yes there should be a truck climbing lane.

Now excuse me while I return to my FB games!
Old February 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #8757
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
over optimistic about passing then entering the left lane? or do you mean slowing traffic to 35mph in the right lane?
we don't slow to 35 on purpose, we have the pedal to the metal(plastic) when going up hill, theres just a little bit of weight in our trailer being affected by gravity. That forces us to downshift otherwise the engine will stall from low RPM's (yes, sarcastic, condescending overtone, don't read too seriously) Yes there should be a truck climbing lane.

I can only imagine, I have to downshift into 4th when climbing that thing in my little car, sometimes 3rd if I feel like passing a vehicle doing less than 50 in the right lane.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #8758
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

It might not even be the fault of the truck drivers. Maybe a car suddenly decides that the right lane isn't moving fast enough and whips out in front of a truck, causing it to lose speed that it can't regain because of the grade.

Anyway, as we've all noted, a third lane would be really good to have there. Even one that ran only on the upper mile or so would be better than nothing, though that's where the current roadbed is narrowest.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #8759
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post

At least the US doesn't suffer from the phenomenon that is "elephant racing". In the UK and rest of Europe, trucks are governed to a maximum speed of 56mph (90kph). In reality there will be trucks that will max out at speeds between 55 and 57 mph and this creates a frequent situation where trucks will try and pass each over with a speed differential of less than 1mph, but on roads where the speed limit for most vehicles is 70mph. So as you can guess these situations can each lead to long lines of traffic platooning behind trucks taking miles to pass each other and this can cause congestion on routes, not because of high traffic levels but to "elephant racing" which are effectively 55mph rolling roadblocks. This happens on 2 lane dual carriageways (4 lane divided highways) as trucks are banned from using the 3rd lane on wider highways. There have even been times that the truck that has been passed will have to re-overtake the truck that took more then ten minutes to pass it because it has a heavy load and the next inclines has robbed it of mementum. So the frustration begins all over again. Quite often, because all traffic ends up queueing in the outside lane behind the passing truck, other trucks will undertake in the clear inside lane then barge in (their method usually involves indication, and crating a gap to force themselves into), so again more elephant racing and more frustration as others struggle to get past to a clear road ahead.
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #8760
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21235

The solution to that problem is banning trucks from overtaking on flattish sectors on busy 2x2 highways, confining them to the right lane.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban